DD1 can't update motor firmware past 0

I've opened a support ticket with Fanatec, but figured I'd post here too to see if anyone has suggestions / found a fix.

I received my DD1 this week and got it working on the v352/356 drivers but after a day the connected wheel stopped working. I tried the usual uninstall and reinstall drivers and now find the wheelbase is basically bricked.

I can flash firmware to the wheelbase, but when I try to update the motor firmware the application closes and nothing happens. I have also tried running the Motor FW updater .exe manually, but it cannot connect to the device.

The fan runs at full speed - which I believe is expected until the motor FW gets updated - and connected wheels are unresponsive.

In other discussions it looks like the OP had to RMA their unit. I'm waiting to hear back from Fanatec to see if that's the case, but I'm assuming it's hardware related at this point.

However, I'm posting in hopes someone has another suggestion I can try while I wait!

--

TL;DR

Problem:

Attempting to update motor firmware crashes the application. Motor fw stuck on 0.

What I've tried:

• Drivers 336, 337, 345, 346, 352/356, and 361/365
  • Uninstalling drivers and removing fanatec devices from device manager between driver attempts
  • Repairing driver installations
  • Flashing wheelbase FW via bootloader mode and from the game controller properties
  • Plugging in the wheelbase to each usb port on my machine
  • Uninstalling the usb hub in device manager and rebooting so windows will reinstall usb drivers
  • Rolling back windows 10 updates to February 2020

Comments

• You need to contact support to get a new base as it's broken

• @Maurice Böschen

I have submitted a ticket but have no received a reply. Ticket: 31287 

• Support takes up to 14 days to respond actually.

• @Maurice Böschen

Yeah I'm trying to be patient. Do you have any thoughts about my CSL Elite from this ticket? https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/2716/csl-elite-not-showing-up-in-game-controllers#latest

• I had extacly same problem what you have.

I bought mine DD1 (PS4 version) fall 2019 and until yesterday my motor firmware was "0" and I couldn't update newer than v346 because all the rest fw's wouldn`t work, if you started Podium, fan was always 100%.

Everytime if you tried to update motor fw, it closed program automatically, tried even few different pc's.

Mine worked fine with v346 until about two weeks ago my F1 steering wheel start to freeze, usually you couldn't change gears up or down any more but wheel still worked.

Again I try everything but nothing worked, I downgraded to v335 and droved my last races with it but freezing continued.

Yesterday I downloaded latest v365 and for my big suprise, it updated first time ever also motor firmware !!

Unfortunately my wheel shifter paddles still freeze after 1-10min, so I drive iRacing with auto gears now :(

So try to downgrade to v335 and after you tested, uninstall driver, reboot, try with v365.

• Thank @Petri

Support got back to me and RMA'd the unit. Hoping to get a replacement soon.

• Hi I’ve managed to fix this problem I was having exactly the same issue here’s how I did it for anyone whose stuck it took me a few days to work it out but here goes Ile try and explain the best I can

put the dd1 into boot loader mode , remove current drivers and Fanalab clean with ccleaner(May not be necessary)I would do it anyway, install driver 336, no need for Fanalab at this point ,check to see if you can update driver for the motor maybe you maybe you can’t , remove the driver again restarting each time as requested by the install, then install driver 340 now you should be able to update the motor and all other connected devices ect do all updates

remove driver once again update to 346 update all and remove again note I found I was better not having the wheel connected while installing drivers 336 and 340 sorry I forgot to mention

then install 347 same idea update all drivers , then from 347 remove it and install 356 update all again and everything should work hope it helps here’s there drivers I used to get it working update them in order

I haven’t gone above 356 using this method but I’ve got it working on 2 separate occasions doing this so it does work

if you don’t get the motor update after installing 336 then 340 after you should change usb slot do not have the data cable connected to you pc/laptop either just the usb for dd1 and pedals still not working change computer it will hopefully work on another pc good luck

• Dave KellyDave Kelly Member
    edited October 2020

If you do any updates on the pc that wasn’t working after getting it working it will remove the motor driver again well,it did for me and I had to do this all over again pedals can be updated but I would disconnect the dd1 if you do just to be safe