Fanatec Driver 381 Release Candidate for CSL, CSW and Podium Bases (all wheels)

Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator

Driver v381 changelog since v380

All Bases

• 1" OLED Steering Wheel displays: BLI setting name now uses space more efficiently and is shown as "BRK LVL"

Podium Button Module Endurance:

• Fixed: Mouse Emulation reacts to steering
  • Fixed: BME+CSWV2.5 XBOX-Button no longer triggers RB and is more responsive
  • Fixed: MPS needs one position change to work correctly. MPS Position will now be sent when connecting/starting

ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2: 

• Fixed: Thumb Encoder Inputs inconsistent / missing. Adjusted PS4 Thumb Encoder handling, because detection was worse after last release.
  • Fixed: Left Joystick Press not working if both clutch paddles are pulled
  • Fixed: On PS4 Thumb encoders are swapped left/right
  • Fixed: On CSL E WB+ the Xbox mode was available on mode change even with wheels that have no Xbox chip. (The XBO mode was not functional, just the available)

CSL McLaren GT3 Steering Wheel:

• Fixed issue of clutch paddles getting unwanted input in specific situations

Included Firmware Versions:

• CSW V1 Base : V680 (NEW)
  • CSW V2 Base : V680 (NEW)
  • CSW V2.5 Base: V680 (NEW)
  • CSL E Base: V680 (NEW)
  • CSL E Base PS4: V680 (NEW)
  • PDD Base: V680 (NEW)
  • PDD WQR: V6
  • CSL/CSW Motor: V22
  • DD1/DD2 Motor: V40
  • McLaren V31
  • RFORMV2: V38 (NEW)
  • PHUB: V4 (NEW)
  • PBME: V15 (NEW)

Known Issues:

• After the driver installation or firmware update, it is possible that the wheel base is not shown in the device list anymore. If this is the case, launch the driver installation again and run the repair function.
  • Podium wheel base jolts can happen on ITM or analysis screens of the wheel base display. A workaround is to use the default screen with “Fanatec” logo while driving. 
  • If the Podium DD is put into COMP mode for the first time after driver installation a restart might be needed so the property page can get opened without an error message.

Download (only if you've read everything above!)

Please also take a look at the PDF instructions if you have questions or issues, there is a whole trouble shooting section and updating the firmware is explained step by step! The ChangeLog.txt included also summarizes previous updates which are not listed above.

Link to compatible FanaLab version:

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/21523/fanalab-1-51-download-post-your-feedback-here/p1

How to report issues:

If you report a driver or firmware issue, please make cross checks:

1. Update driver and FW separately to isolate an issue and find out if its caused by driver OR firmware.
  2. Which driver OR firmware does show the issue
  3. Which driver OR firmware does not show the issue
  4. Check if you can reproduce the issue again if you go back to the version which seems to have cause the issue
  5. Post the answers gathered from the questions above + a short description of the issue including the following information:
  • Wheel Base Model (product ID): ...
  • Steering Wheel Model (product ID): ....
  • Driver Version: ....
  • Base FW Version: ....
  • Motor FW Version: ....
  • Wheel FW Version: ....
  • FanaLab Version: ....
  • With driver related issues collect log files and zip them from C:\Users\Public\Fanatec Logs

Comments

• Update on my DD1 with PHUB and PBME went very smoothly , thx again for the update.

• Thank you so much! :*

• Improved encoder inputs on several wheels and base combinations

Can this be explained in more detail, please?

• This is no change if this driver.

In particular it improves the Encoder Inputs so no Encoder input is skipped or not triggered. At least greatly improved. There is really nothing more to add.

• edited November 2020

Thanks for the update, install went perfectly using the usual uninstall old, reboot, install new, update firmware. CAL, reboot

(DD1, Podium Hub, Podium Paddle module, PBME)

• First try Fanatec csl elite ps4 in dirt rally2.0 is very good for now👍

• Motor version 40 for the podium DD1 is terrible, I can't believe nobody has noticed after calibrating the motor if you turn the base on and rotate the wheel rim about 95 degrees right then turn slowly left you can feel a huge notch or step in the rotation left every single time, deleting motor calibration removes that step and makes the rotation consistent and probably even smoother.

Pointless notifying fanatec of the issue since it takes 12 months to fix basic issues, how the hell is the ITM still causing ffb spikes, having the workaround of not using it is not a workaround, its lazy, been this way now for months and months.

Get these things fixed, your better than this, im so tempted to jump this ship at the moment.

• It's known that the Motor Calibration didnt kept up with Motor development in general, hence I suggest to everyone for months now to not use the Motor Calibration but to erase it, gives a MUCH better and smoother FFB.

• I appreciate that has been the case but its not really great that the fix is to simply not use calibration, nothing should be broken for 6 months on a top end product competing in a space with other top end products, we need regular and strong support, the ITM is a great feature we would like to use confidently and the motor calibration should work correctly and smooth the experience even more. Thanks for the response.

• Gagaryn .Gagaryn . Member
    edited November 2020

Couldn't agree with this more. "Podium wheel base jolts can happen on ITM or analysis screens of the wheel base display. A workaround is to use the default screen with “Fanatec” logo while driving."

The ITM & Analysis screens were heavily marketed and 12 months down the line they still have severely limited functionality and can cause major issues. The advice from Fanatec is not to use them - but this is not widely known - Fanatec don't advertise this - it is only said on this forum which only a tiny fraction of the user base use.

I apologise if I sound like a stuck record but Fanatec's major weakness is in software development and testing. It really isn't acceptable that this hasn't been fixed in 12 months. It also isn't acceptable that this failure isn't properly acknowledged - telling the forum users to use functionality limiting workarounds should only be a short term measure. Resources should be directed at fixing this as a priority. It's obvious that this has not happened - we are forced to live with endless buggy half arsed releases.

And introducing increased cogging into the motor calibration of the betas is another perfect example of this weakness, knowing this is an issue but still not reversing the change is unacceptable. It's something else we are being advised to simply not use because it is now broken. Why wasn't this picked up in testing and fixed prior to public beta?

I see signs that Fanatec themselves are becoming embarrassed - the endless beta releases have become 'release candidates' - yet these long standing issues are still present. Releasing these long standing issues into any official release would simply add insult to injury. Get your act together.

• I shouldn't use any engine calibration?

Is that correct?

• You can but I dont use any motor calibration for a year or so now because the motor calibration gives me a stickiness in the first few mm of movement which I dont like at all.

• @ Maurice "not use the Motor Calibration but to erase it,"

Which file and where can I delete it? THX

• on the podium ps4-ps5 !! does it bring changes?thank you!

• good! Did you have v380 before and have you noticed changes with v381?

on ps5 in games I have the feeling that it has more ffb than before.

in project cars 2, 3, dirt rally 2.0, gt sport .. everyone has more ffb

• Nice! Have you tried the wheel on f1 2020? Have you noticed any changes from driver 380? Thanks man!

• I don't have time to check if it's related to the driver, but i don't see what else could have changed it.

Foruma V2 - DD1

But is it possible that with 380 when pit limiter was on the led was blinking, and with 381 it doesn't?

I was relying on that to check if speed limiter was on when leaving th stands :)

• as said no thats not possible. iRacing didnt changed telemetry, FanaLab also didnt.

• Hey guys, anyone having issues with PBME freezing during a session? I have this latest firmware on my DD1 with the Porsche gt3r wheel.

it works with V365 but it didn’t work with V372. Doesn’t work with 381 either.

• CSW V2.5 / F1 2018 V2 / CSL Elite LC

V381 installed / Firmwares updated.

Few hours run on iRacing. No problem observed so far. No more clonk at shutdown.

Thank you. 👍

• Nice one!

DD1 PS4 + F1 PS4 and PHUB + PBME @ ACC on PS4: several hours tested on several tracks&cars: absolutely no issues so far. Also no more shut down knock here, but could be due to the deleted motor calibration (haven't done it before...).

However, this time after updating driver and all firmware I've lost all tuning menu settings. Luckily, I've updated my Excel sheet beforehand (no Fanalab at PS4). If more users experience this, it should be mentioned with the release, maybe.

Which brings me to a feature request for all console players: would it be possible to add rev led blinking at maximum rev's to the driver? It's easy to set at Fanalab, but unfortunately not for consoles. Or would it be possible to set the rev led pattern at Fanalab and store this inside the base/wheel instead of running Fanalab in the background?

• edited November 2020

Something like that is simply not possible on consoles.

You cant store something like that in the base, you will always have to run other Software and this is just not possible on a console.

And regarding lost Tuning Menu settings... That's the case since forever that after a firmware ipdate the Tuning Menu Resets to the default values so it shouldnt really be a big surprise as it's also mentioned in the manual AFAIK.

• Well, I guess it would be possible to implement a "10th" LED for maximum revs at the driver which then results in the blinking of the physical 9 ones...

Regarding the Tuning menu: it is mentioned, just checked. But with this update, it was the first time for me loosing all settings. From 365 onwards all updates kept the settings on my base so far.

• Then you didnt updated the wheel base firmware but only the driver previously because it's simply impossible that Tuning Menu settings dont get reset...;)

Or you "restored" them by accident by loading a Fanalab profile.

And as said you cant store something in the driver because a driver is not used on consoles...

• no need to erase a file :) just detach your steering wheel and click on this button in the driver property page:

• Wheel Base: CSW 2.5
    • Steering Wheel: CSW GT Forza Motorsports XBOX ONE
    • Driver Version: 381
    • Base FW Version: 680
    • Motor FW Version: 22

Update from 373 to 381 was easy, with no issues. Running iRacing and up to now working perfect.

This discussion has been closed.