Podium Steering Wheel BMW M4 GT3

https://bmw.fanatec.com/

There will be new quick release.

How about DD1 and DD2, do they need somekind of adapter or is there coming also new generation of wheel bases with new kind of QR ?

Any idea about price?

Comments

• You need to replace the QR on the DD base to the new QR2.

The QR on the DD bases is changed quite easily to a new QR. Just 2 screws on the black collar and then undo the connector inside the shaft of the wheel base. Then reverse order when you want to mount the new QR2.

For the price we have to wait. Bit I think it will be more than the Clubsport QR that is currently available. What the QR2 for the base will cost we also have to wait. But maybe they will come with an upgrade kit that will cost a bit less...

• edited December 2020

Okay, there´s instructions at DD manual how to change QR, it´s quite simple job to do, but...if you use different kind of wheels at same day it´s not so handy change also QR at every time.

• I think it's something that you don't want to do a lot I would say. I would go to the new QR2 and would never look back.

So best is to upgrade all your wheels where possible. Unfortunately not all wheels will probably be upgradeable I think. A Universal Hub will probably be difficult to upgrade and some other wheels like the Porsche 918, BMW GT2, CSL P1 wheels and the older Formula wheels.

People with the CSL and CSW bases will probably not even able to upgrade the QR.

• After buying into the Fanatec eco system and lets not forget that the DD isn't that old, having 4 Fanatec wheels i'm not one that agrees with a new QR system on the basis they provided and sold an eco system. I do however agree that their current QR isn't very good

• Upgrading to QR2 sounds expensive and maby it also affects to selling of DD-bases/wheels because customers may wait new QR2 products before place order.

GT3 wheel is welcome but when it needs such big investments for upgrading existing wheels and abandon wheels like Universal Hub...I think you can count me off.

• 100% Marko

• Psql .Psql . Member
    edited December 2020

That are the choices Fanatec also needs to make.

Don't upgrade the QR will also cost Fanatec a lot of customers. Because they want something better and will skip the complete eco system or people sell their complete Fanatec setup because of the old QR system.

The new GT3 wheel is probably also perfectly useable with the old QR if you don't want to upgrade everything. Just replace the QR2 with the Clubsport QR on the wheel. Probably they are even going to sell 2 versions. One with the new QR2 and one with the old QR.

Then everybody can make their own decision if they also want to go the whole way and upgrade all their wheels including base to the new QR2. Or if you have no problems with the current QR, no need to upgrade the QR even if you want to go for the new BMW GT3 Wheel.

• haha this will be fun when coming to order

BMW GT3 Wheel 1000 euro

QR2 quick release 250 euro

QR2 replacement shaft for DD 150 euro

• Jim LeeJim Lee Member
    edited December 2020

I might have been way more interested in BMW rim, but that was before I bought a "Turn R21" rim ,Universal Hub and Advanced Shifters. The 1" led screen is way too small to use during actual driving (I will continue to on-screen dash/overlay). If Fanatec offers the QR1 option I might be open to purchasing. 😒

My DD2 with QR1 has been so tight since "day-one" that I need silicone lube just to be able to press the wheel on / pull off (following Fanatec Procedures) and with so very, very little "rocking" , that I cannot justify the cost of a totally rigid (industrial????) mount. Even my friend with a sim cube and a leo bodnar simsteering2 says that I "lucked out with such a tight fit. 😁

P.S. the Marlon Leonard post above looked somewhat more desirable.

• I think the move away from the LEDs on the steering wheel and only a small OLED for the tuning menu is the best decision BMW and Fanatec could have made for me personally. I don't use any LEDs and/or ITM features anymore.

• It might be designed to slide the new square QR locator over the existing shaft and fix it in place using the existing notches. Won't let you QR the old wheels easily but leaves everything intact.

• Just a quick note.

People need to understand one small thing.

GT cars or touring cars etc etc, now days they have all the info needed in the dashboard. It is not like F1/F2/F3 style that wheel, functions and display are build in to the wheel.

So people if they were complaining for realism here it is. Cant get more real than that.

A company cannot have 100% target to satisfy each and every individual on his rig sims.

VR people complain that they don't need a screen.

F1 and GT people complain that they need the screen.

Here is a fun fact from the real thing....

When you race and with the helmet and hans on, strapped with the belts so tight that you cannot even reach to adhust the mirror, YOU cannot see half of the wheel you are holding and all the buttons and rotary switched are being done by memory...

Also you only have time to do a quick look on the dash, for vital info, which is further away from the wheel and have a better view (and still it has to be quick in order not to loose your concentration.

Peace out.

• couldn't have written it better Alexandros! thumbs up!

• I don´t need display at all but need of new QR version is deal breaker.

Maby someone from Fanatec could comment this and tell little more, is it possible to use that new GT3 wheel without replacing quick release of DD-base?

• I don't think so. And the QR of the DD base is replaced rather quick.

• I think you will also be able to use the wheel with the old QR. That is the advantage of being modular. So maybe there will be 2 versions of the wheel for sale one with the new QR2 and one with the older QR.

But we need to wait for more details when release will be almost there.

• As a one off task, it is rather quick. As a step to take between each change of wheel, it is not.

• 4 to 6 screws depending on the wheel( older wheels excluded ofc) . but as someone already mentioned, maybe Fanatec will also release a version with clubsport QR.

It's really not that hard to unscrew two bolts and unplug two cables...

• depends on the wheel really. Fv2 has 4 screws to undo, the Podium Hub 6. And imo this should be easier than changing the base side QR.

It's really not that difficult to undo 2 screws and unplug 2 cables...

• You're confused. I was answering your point you made about the base QR replacement. I agree it's not difficult but it's also not a viable option for frequent wheel changes.

• As you can see I didn't get that. You would need to choose between one of those QRs obviously. But as others pointed out, maybe Fanatec will release a version with the clubsport QR.

• Hopefully when they do sell this wheel it has the option to be purchased with the old QR. Otherwise there will be a lot of upset customers.

• Looks to me like

replace with

Maybe??? Anyway not going to be cheap. 😂

• Pin layout is different. Motorsport style Deutsch 22-21. The electrical connector in the wheelbase shaft must be replaced.