DD2 not working after update

I updated my DD2 to the newest firmware worked great for a few days and then the next time I used the base the unit will turn on and the FANATEC logo screen just goes black. unit does show up on the properties page either.

Comments

• have you tried the repair function or reinstall the driver? Or a different USB port?

• edited December 2020

ive tried different USB port, repair functions, and reinstalling driver. And following the directions from the handbook again. No luck . I submitted a support ticket last night.

• edited December 2020

Hi,

same problem here with my brand new DD1. Had it working from tuesday. On saturday while playing, the wheel sudenly didn't respond anymore in game, and disapeared from Fanatec driver. But I had this window opened

Driver 381, base and motor were up to date.

I've tried to reinstall the driver on PC, but base wasn't showing up. Used the bootloader mode, updated the base firmware, but when trying the motor firmware update all the driver's page closes. Fan is 100% as well.

Tried several USB MB ports, still doesn't update the motor. Other computer, same result. Tried to revert to v346, same result, unable to update motors.

• Oliver same here. Done all that you tried also. I’ve had the same window also and problems.

• I've got same problems. Installed the DD2 for the first time yesterday. Followed instructions and updated Firmware, now Motor Driver version is showing '0' and the fan is running full on. Tried, uninstalling driver, tried older firmwares but nothing is working. VERY FRUSTRATING for a device that costs a lot of money. I've sent in a support request.

Searching the Forums I found many instances of this but there does not seem to be any clear solution. Surely this can't be the case??

Saw a post about removing all USB's on the computer then deleting the firmware (how do you do this??) then reinstall latest driver and it worked. Anyone else tried this?

• this morning I reinstalled W10 on my pc, nothing plugged in excpet mouse, keyboard and DD1. Installed driver 346. Base firmware update OK. Motor firmware update : driver pages close itself and nothing happens.

• Aemel NordinAemel Nordin Member
    edited December 2020

Fixed mine tonight! Tried one of the suggestions in this forum.

Here's what I did:

1. Unplug all USB except keyboard n mouse

2. Unplug all fanatec pedals n wheel connected to DD2. No throttle key either.

3. Turn off DD2

4. Uninstall Fanatech driver

5. Reboot PC

6. Install Fanatec driver 381

7. Connect DD2 to a different USB port from earlier

8. Start DD2 on Bootloader mode (press ON for 8 secs)

9. Launch Fanatec software (the one u get on desktop after installing the driver) and select DD2 device. This opened a dialogue box stating it detected that my Motor firmware was old and I click to update and followed prompts after. Soon my motor firmware was flashed to v40. All is well!

• edited December 2020

already tried this several time. As soon as I use driver 380 or 381, my base turns as a COM port peripheral and is no more visible in the driver.

Sorry for the long video

at 2:00 I restart the base in Booltoader mode, update base firmware again, and ... bye bye

• ticket opened, now waiting the support to answer 😓

Fortunately, I still have my old CSW v1, 7 years old but still doing the job .... smoothly 😁

• I’ll try that again tonight and see what happens, thanks Aemel Nordin

• The video shows you have the Fanatec app already opened so I cannot determine if its dame sequence as per my post. Can you verify?

So after all is uninstalled, usb removed, wheel removed from DD unit, DD is off and PC rebooted:

1. Install Fanatec driver on PC again. Don't launch it.

2. Connect DD usb to PC

3. Bootload DD unit, this will show it as a COM port but leave it.

4. Launch Fanatec app, and as soon as the all opens a dialogue box should appear about the Motor driver only.

Was your sequence the same?

• Thanks for your help.

I think I already did it that way too, but I'll give it another try on wednesday (I have a champ race tuesday, so I won't take the risk to loose my CSW as well).

I already had the motor to firmware 40 when it was working. And I'm thinking that I downgraded the base Firmware, but may be the motor doesn't feel the need to change it's firmware. But the 40 version of the motor might only works with the 381 driver, and this driver make me loose the base.

• Done like the steps you mentioned, but no success.

well, the bootloader mode is only for base update, and the base must be up to date before the motor update popup shows up ... but it still doesn't. Each time I jump to v380 or 381 the base turns into FANATEC UPDATE PORT (COM3) and all I get is the Wireless Quick Release update popup, that doesn't work either.

• I tried this from above and worked like a charm. DD2 is working fine now. Thanks Aemel Nordin

Here's what I did:

1. Unplug all USB except keyboard n mouse

2. Unplug all fanatec pedals n wheel connected to DD2. No throttle key either.

3. Turn off DD2

4. Uninstall Fanatech driver

5. Reboot PC

6. Install Fanatec driver 381

7. Connect DD2 to a different USB port from earlier

8. Start DD2 on Bootloader mode (press ON for 8 secs)

9. Launch Fanatec software (the one u get on desktop after installing the driver) and select DD2 device. This opened a dialogue box stating it detected that my Motor firmware was old and I click to update and followed prompts after. Soon my motor firmware was flashed to v40. All is well!

• Can you try flashing the DD2 with an older Firmware first (eg. 37x or 34x), then try the steps in my earlier posts again? Wondering if my steps works only from an older firmware but not from 38x 🤔

This trial and error method is terrible. Fanatec needs to do better than this for customer support. I've not even had a reply for my support ticket after so many days. Customer support rating is 0/10 so far.

• Yay!! Have to thank others from different threads 🤣 i just compiled it and prayed for the best..

• edited December 2020

Already did, tried to go back to v346, but still the motor update doesn"t work. 😫

• So to clarify, you tried loading 346, then do the steps I had listed above, then load 381, and it still did not bring up the Motor firmware update?

• edited December 2020

correct. Loaded v346, base update ok, fan 100% and no motor update. Then v373, same result. Then 380, and after the base update it still in COM port mode for windows, and not visible in the driver (fan is working low, or not at all, I don't remember).

Every time, I used the steps you have listed, using different USB 2.0 ports.

And I didn't mentioned, but fanalab wasn't installed.

• One of my planned trial was going to be the following if you want to try?

1. Load older firmware on to DD2

2. Using another computer, install 381

3. Connect DD2 to the other computer, power it up in Bootloader mode, then launch the Fanatec app.

See if this would detect the Motor firmware needing an update?

• Aemel Nordin. I spoke too soon i got home today and the wheel is dead again. tried all the steps again and nothing.

still showing like others have said above as a COM port

• Aemel NordinAemel Nordin Member
    edited December 2020

omg..... i'm so sorry to hear this.

not going to do anymore firmware update with this. It's so ridiculous. Their testing protocols must really suck for such issues to continually exist.

• That's bad, it's the same state that my DD1.

Hope I'll have an answer from support.

• olivier, every time you are doing the roll back and then the upgrades.

Do you delete all the fanatec drivers installed or you are just adding drivers and hex files in the existing file?

See if the below helps.

Switch off the base. take out the steering wheel.

Try to delete ALL drivers from the pc. Try even with manual search to see if there are any leftovers.

After deleted restart the pc.

Download the 381 drivers.

Install the new drivers.

restart pc

turn on the base and run the fanatec app.

Choose your base and start updating.

When base and motor is update switch off the base and app.

Connect the steering wheel start the app, sellect your base and continue with the rest of the updates.

• edited December 2020

I do uninstall drivers, then reboot, then install again, then reboot, then turn on the base in bootloader mode, then update the base firmware, but the motor update can't be done, I don't know why the driver closes when I click on Motor update. I can leave the base turned on for +20min, nothing happens.

I even tried this procedure : https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/1758/symptom-fanatec-driver-does-not-install-uninstall-correctly @genotte meryll you may give a try too

Everytime I jump to driver 380 or 381, after base update it desapear from device manager, and is replaced by this FANATEC UPDATE PORT (COM3) device, and becomes invisible in the driver. And after each base restart, I have this popup to upgrade the Wireless Quick Release, that is not responding. Having my Formula Black wheel attached or not is the same.

Again, I had it working fine for 4 days last week, then I lost the base in game and driver, and had this Wireless QR update popup on screen. So I'm starting to consider some hardware issue in the box.

• You have contacted support I suppose just to save time in the meantime right?

• edited December 2020

yep, ticket opened on monday, but no answer yet

More and more convinced of an hardware issue, revert again to v346, I have my Formula wheel attached to the base, and the driver can't see it. In the top right corner you can see driver version, base version, but no motor.

• edited December 2020

okéééé, DD1 back to life !!

In order to solve this, I reinstalled W10 on monday, but I didn't updated my MB drivers. Did it in the afternoon, and now I've just restarted the base and it seems to work.

I'll try to jump to 381 now.

And v381 is good

Thanks to all of you who tried to help me. I will be careful over the next few days anyway. 🤞

• edited December 2020

so did I, wednesday evening it everything was fine, but thursday afternoon the wheel base was dead again. The only difference is that I installed Fanalab on thurday, and had a windows update 🤔

What's your Windows version ? I'm W10 20H2. For my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro I only have new drivers for W10 2004. I'm starting to consider something here, even if I was already on 20H2 when the wheel base was working fine.

• I have the same issue. It is incredible that Fanatec has not addressed such a wide spread issue. Very annoying and frustrating.