A Revolution in Simracing: Universal Hub for ClubSport Wheel

Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
You might have wondered why we are releasing so many new rims in such a short time but they have one component in common. And this component is available separatly as well.

The Universal Hub Rim for ClubSport Wheel

With the universal hub you can mount almost any wheel rim for real cars to your ClubSport wheel. Simply choose the buttons and functions you want and attach any rim to it.

We offer 6 different automotive grade wheel rims for the universal hub and each is selling for just 99,95.
  • Classic
  • Oval
  • Round1
  • Flat1
  • GT
  • Drift

If this does not meet your requirement you can select a rim of a 3rd party manufacturer like MOMO, SPARCO or OMP. The 6-hole-pattern is compatible to these brands and with adapters (from the rim makers) to many other rims. Therefore you can choose between hundreds of rims  and you still have the full functionality you need for simracing.

The following components are included in the Universal Hub:

• 4 x small button boxes with 3 buttons each
  • 2 x small levers and 2 x long levers
  • 1 x pair of small shifter paddles
  • 1 x pair of large and fully adjustable shifter paddles
  • 1 x Encoder with 7 functions: turn left, turn right, up, down, left, right, push
  • LED display to show Tuning and telemetry info. Can we used in two positions
  • USB charging port (no data)

There is also a 5th connector for another button box and the data port for further expansion of functionality. An analog joystick or vibration function is not supported at this point.

We placed 16 buttons on top of the hub so you always have the fully functionality even if you prefer a clean look without the button boxes. The button boxes are mapped with those 16 buttons so you are not loosing any functionality in case you cannot reach them. If the PlayStation buttons hurt your eyes or feelings, then you can simply take a black marker and paint them.

Available this summer for 249,95 Euro / USD (incl. tax / excl. tax)

The weight and exact deliery dates will be announced later.

Comments

• Wow love this!!!!
  • Really cool Thomas, I'm first in line. Well done.
  • Well the Playstation buttons will only hurt your eyes if you use them on Xbox, are you going to make this stuff compatible with the Xbox One wheel ?
  • Outstanding..can I be first :D

(well, maybe behind Richard Pittam)
  • edited May 2014
    I want one!!! I'm third in line. More info please, I've been F5'ing this page for 3 weeks now. I know your answer: Please be patient we will give you all info in due time. I just can't wait anymore. I will personally drive to Germany next week and steel one from your warehouse and send you the money via paypal.  ^:)^ You Rock Fanatec
  • Looks great, and those rim prices are reasonable.

Will future QR hubs contain electronics to support other consoles?  For example, this appears to be a PC/PS3 hub.  Could one expect there to be a hub that supports Xbox One or PS4 in the future?  It looks like you guys could go that way with this design...and that would pretty darn smart!
  • First, some compliments. I think the sign of an innovative company is when they produce a product that 'nobody' specifically asked for yet everybody wants. The pricing model is also smart. $250 for the "hub" is a lot but "just $100 for each rim" is perfect because it makes Fanatec rims far cheaper than 3rd party alternatives. Once you have the hubs, you are likely to drop $1-200 on some new Fanatec's rims instead of spending $200+ on one 3rd party rim. I cannot wait to go to scrap yards and picking up some production car rims and retrofitting them.

Couple questions:

1. What is the weight of the wheel hub and the additional accessories?
    2. Given the PS buttons present on the hub, can you comment PS4 compatibility? I assume you will need this new hub (which is fine)?
    3. Would it be possible to insert the required security chip for the Xbox One in a wheel hub with Xbox buttons to make the CSW base XB1 compatible?
    4. Could the data port support a "rumble" add on?
    5. Does this new hub still have a "logitech mode"?
    6. Has the tuning menu changed?
    7. Is hot swapping buttons possible?
    8. Can we insert our own paddle shifters a la 'old' CSW rims?
  • Fantastic move by Fanatec and this should temp in a lot of racers who want to customise their rig with a nice wheel rim and not have to resort to drills, dremels, welding torches and a first aid kit. I hope to upgrade to a CSW some time this year even though my 5 year old PWTS is still working fine.
  • Absolutey awesome. So in two or three weeks I've gone from despair at WTF are Fanatec doing!? To just 'Wow!'

Great concept.

Just one thing please to make the day complete. A complete eternal ban on anyone asking anything about xBone compatibility...
  • Just one thing please to make the day complete. A complete eternal ban on anyone asking anything about xBone compatibility...
    Have you used a Fanatec product with a Forza title?  It's great and worth asking for, whether you want to hear it or not.
  • I second that dont they read, its not up to Fanatec to decide if they can support Xbone compatability If you wanna play Xbone with a wheel talk to Madcatz and Mircrosoft. So please no more questions about XBoX1 compatability thank you.
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    Alexander,

Thanks for the Kudos. :-)

1. the weight will be announced later
    2. Compatibility depends on the base unit
    3. Technically possible
    4. yes
    5. Depends on the base
    6. Depends on the base (no)
    7. Depends on the base (yes)
    8. Yes. You can even mount the adjustable paddles of the universal hub to your BMW rim
  • Without pinning you down Thomas, can we assume the pre-order period wont be as long as things like CSW and CSS?
    I'm soo excited :D

• Alexander,

3. Technically possible
    4. yes
    5. Depends on the base
    8. Yes. You can even mount the adjustable paddles of the universal hub to your BMW rim
    About number 2.... But there's no base unit that supports PS4 right now...
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    Without pinning you down Thomas, can we assume the pre-order period wont be as long as things like CSW and CSS?

The production of the first batch is already finished so it will not bee too long.
  • Alexander,

3. Technically possible
    4. yes
    5. Depends on the base
    Awesome.Thank you for the responses. Especially #8. That is awesome and should be listed as a feature when the product page goes up.

In terms of PS4 compatibility, I understand it is a tricky situation. Lets just hope Logitech works with SCE. I should say though, as a console (and PC owner), it is hard to invest in (any, not just Fanatec) sim racing equipment without knowing how that whole situation will play out.
  • I knew that's where you were going with this. Excellent Thomas, absolutely excellent! Now I'll finally be able to use the Sparco wheel from my G25.
  • Hat's off again Thomas - absolutely amazing  ^:)^
  • Without pinning you down Thomas, can we assume the pre-order period wont be as long as things like CSW and CSS?

The production of the first batch is already finished so it will not bee too long.

So was the jabs by the communities worth the press releases for these items in the order in which they were? People beat you up pretty good in the forums due to the fact they had no idea of what all they will get for their money. Anyway I will have fun with this and look forward to possibly getting in on the first batch
  • Awwwe yeah! Brilliant!
  • One last set of questions:

IF new base units are developed (not asking if they are
    currently) is it safe to assume the following:

1. Future base units on (PC/PS4/XB1) will use the current quick
    release system?

2. Old CSW rims will work with new base units on (PC/PS4/XB1)?

3. The new hub will be compatible with new base units on (PC/PS4/XB1)?

• Wow, great stuff. No wonder you guys were silent for so long. You're becoming the Lego of sim racing equipment. Now, the only thing holding me back from (pre)ordering, is confirmation of Xbox One compatibility.
  • Very cool idea. Even after market rims can be mounted.

I will grab one for sure.

B-)
  •  

@Thomas this hub will be compatible for csr elite??

• To all the guys that keep on speaking of XB1 compatibility, please read this thread:

http://eu.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/85/xbox-one-compatibility-faq-and-poll/p1
  •  

@Thomas this hub will be compatible for csr elite??

Obviously and unfortunately NO, because this hub is based on the quick release design of the Clubsport base.
  • To all the guys that keep on speaking of XB1 compatibility, please read this thread:

http://eu.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/85/xbox-one-compatibility-faq-and-poll/p1
    Exactly, that involves legacy hardware (from the perspective of Sony and MS). Thomas said:

"Are you working on a new Xbox One wheel and when will it be released?
    We do work on a next generation wheel and the Xbox One is a key market for us. But at that point we cannot reveal any further information or give a timeline. If there is any announcement it will be made here on the blog."

And now this:
    "
    2. Given the PS buttons present on the hub, can you comment PS4
    compatibility? I assume you will need this new hub (which is fine)?" 2. Compatibility depends on the base unit

So if you read between the lines, one could be lead to assume that the QR hub is not restricted to one platform or another. In fact, it needs only be compatible with future bases, and through those future bases there may be support for XB1 and PS4.
  • I already said this in an other thread, but I will say it again...this is a brilliant and well thought out design.

Also it's more than nice, to let the customer decide weather to put a third party wheel on the hub, or a Fanatec one (on a really competetive price point, I should add). This shouldn't be taken for granted. Wait for e.g. Thrustmaster to do something like this...no it won't happen.

Congratulations Thomas and Fanatec on this product!

I'm in for the GT wheel, the static shifter with carbon paddles and maybe the handbrake, if I can figure out if and how I can mount it on my cheap Playseat :)
  • Ryan HammRyan Hamm Member
    edited May 2014
    This is tempting me to get a CSW even though I have a CSR Elite.
  •  I'm in for the GT wheel, the static shifter with carbon paddles and maybe the handbrake, if I can figure out if and how I can mount it on my cheap Playseat :)
    Hi Attila.

You can easily do what I have done and bolt a small wooden board to the flat wheel plate/deck and then bolt the CSW base to that. This will give you a bit more flexibility to position it too.