CSL Elite PS4 Wheel Base Cracked:

I recently purchased my setup on Dec 20: CSL Elite PS4 starter kit, Load Cell Kit, Seq Shifter, and E Brake and noticed there was some play in the base during gaming a few days ago.

I inspected the wheel base and sure enough found out that it cracked (I did a few days worth of research and seems to be a common issue with this setup).

I've already opened up a ticket with Fanatec and have heard they have good customer service, so I am not worried about that.

My question is, is there a known solution to prevent the base on the CSL Elite steering wheel from cracking? (I've already bought the club sport universal QR with the Rally/Drift wheel so only looking for constructive feedback).

I just want to know if someone has come up with a solution because I would expect it to crack again after it is fixed.

Comments

• Never heard of that happening before.

• When you say the wheel base you mean the wheel base or the simplified QR on the back of the CSL steering wheel?

• Here are pictures for reference, I searched the internet and found that a good amount of people had this same problem with the P1 wheel and the recommendation, 9 times out of 10, was to buy the QR (I have a clubsport universal QR on order).

Fanatec support has already responded to my claim and are making it right, so great customer support. But, I'm hesitant to use the wheel again in fear of this happening again. It seems that the material of the back plate is a weak point in design (I've had the setup for less than two weeks) .

• Sascha KaymerSascha Kaymer Member
    edited January 2021

• Unfortunately, I don’t think there is any real way to stop it from happening again. I have seen other people get another band similar to the one already on it, maybe like a worm gear band? Kinda chincy I know. But even with adding that, I agree with you that the plastic/material at that spot is weak. Hit or miss at the best. I think that’s why they said they went to the new Simplified Quick Release.

• I'm thinking of dialing the FF back to 50 - 60 to see how that works, I have friends who are really good with CAD as well so I might even go the route of scanning the backplate and making my own out of aluminum. But, I think dialing back the settings on the wheel and in game should suffice until I get the ClubSport universal QR in.

• Yea, that should do the job, hopefully it isn’t too light of FFB for details. I know each person has completely different likes to the feel of the steering. I know I do like some force and weight in the wheel, but I can be just as pleased with the slightest resistance and vibrations accompanied with detail. Hell, I’ve grown up only using a controller with little rumbles at most. Getting off topic, sorry. Anyway, kind of a bummer that the lowest tier steering wheel isn’t up to withstanding the lowest tier wheel base. Although, at least the “lowest tier” wheel base is pretty stout. Don’t be a stranger if you get some progress with that CAD, that could open doors.

• Will do, I think it would be a fun project to work on.

• I would like to hear from customer service or a rep from Fanatec about this. What are you as a company offering your customers as a resolution to this? It's Jan 26 now and I issued my claim on Jan 3, and my replacement is still in process. Going back and forth between customer server with 48 - 72 hour response times is not normal.

I understand "unprecedented" times, but that has been the theme for over a year now. I would like to know 1: what is being done to resolve the issue of cracking P1 wheels (I've seen multiple users experience the same issue). 2: what is being done to give back to customers who are being inconvenienced due to this flaw in design? I've been offered apology after apology, but nothing for customer retention.

FYI, I was looking to also upgrade to a DD1 and the inverted clubsport pedals later this year but seeing as this has been my experience from a support perspective I am reluctant to buy more products from this company.

Fanatec, what are you going to do to make this right?

• Hi,

I have exactly the same problem here. My wheel was purchased at the end of January 2021. The cracking is identical to the images above.

I will be contacting Fanatec about this issue and I will report back here with the results.

Regards.

Ian.

• Bought my CSL Elite bundle in January also and a couple of days ago I noticed the same thing in mine. Currently after the Support Request not working on Fanatec's site I managed to get an email address (from Facebook of all places) and get in contact with them.

So far Customer Support seems ok, but I am waiting for a response from the technical support. As far as I understand from users on Reddit, the main 2 solutions are:

1. RMA (send in back and they either replace it - give you a new one) - but I don't know who pays for the shipping;
    2. They send you the plastic backplate and you replace it yourself - this would seem like a perfect solution if you are a little technical oriented.

Will keep you guys updated!

P.S. I was also looking to do a small upgrade (Get the LC pedal, get a new wheel - there goes the Mclaren GT3 stock - or even a new Base - CSW2.5 or wait for the new CSL DD to drop). Will see how the whole support thing plays out and the decide if I invest further.

• Hi,

Its taken me a while to get this sorted due to being crazy busy at work. However....

I contacted Fanatec and told them about the issue. Emails were quickly replied to and very helpful. I received a shipping email, sent the wheel in on Monday and today - Friday - I have a repaired wheel back here!!!

Outstanding and world class customer service in my book! Well done the guys and gals at Fanatec - Thank you!!!

Best regards.

Ian.

• Hi All,

Re: Broken CSL Elite Racing Wheel

I've had my favourite lockdown purchase since Jan 2021, a CSL Elite Racing Wheel Bundle with the loadcell pedals, which I’ve lightly used on Assetto Corsa Competizione with FF set at 70 in game. Today the wheel has sheered off whilst loading the game !! it did its usual shake down and light test on startup but when I went to turn the wheel to feel some resistance as I went out on the track it came off in my hand!! I’m Gutted :/  

contacted Fanatec customer service an got a we will be back email, so watch this space.

Creeky

• Broken pins on my csl WRC wheel still under 1yr warranty will fanatec help me :( i sent them a Email

just bought the dd pro bundle shifter and load cell brak 1100$ fanatec can you help me fix the wheel that i bought on april of last year.

• I'm hoping they do the same for me thanks for sharing.

• Re: Broken CSL Elite Racing Wheel

contacted Fanatec customer service an got a we will be back email..

..they got back to me the same day!! asked for pics and then arranged for a courier - all within 24hrs.

got my wheel back today all repaired with a new wheel base - so got to be very impressed with the customer service.

just worried that the wheel base could go again in the future.

creeky