DD1 glitch with pulling to one side

What happens for me is that the base and wheel (DD1 + formula v2 wheel) function normally without a problem but without a warning I suddenly get a knock and the base turns off all force feedback, all vibration and actuation and just starts to pull to the right, if I fight it, it might start pull to the left until it bottoms out. When that happens the wheel freezes, the rev indicator leds freeze and the mini screen on the wheel either freezes or goes blank.

The DD1 screen functions normally and I am able to access the tuning menu via button on the wheel. Also when this happens all buttons work and I am stil able to shift up and down.

Now the problem is... That this has now happened to two DD1's I tried. Twice to the original I purchased back in August, in raceroom and rfactor2 with a fair amount of time between two occasions and now... after having RMA'd the first one for that reason the replacement one just did the same to me twice in space of an hour... in rfactor2.

Now I'm reluctant to contact technical support because I anticipate them to tell me to send it back to Germany (I currently live in UK) and the last RMA proces with the original DD1 was a massive 2 month long nightmare with lots of mishaps.

Could there be something effecting the DD1 causing these symptoms? Or is there something wrong with them that I don't know about?

Also I should add that this goes away after I restart the base

Here's a video showing what happens after it glitches

P.S It keeps on happening with any drivers and firmware realised since November and it's now happend 3rd time to the replacement DD1

Comments

• Are you on the latest driver and firmwares? there was an issue last year where the DDs could actually freeze and needed to be unplugged from the PSU.

• Yes, I used a few different drivers with matching latest firmware and yesterday it happened with driver 400 and matching firmware.

• could you try the very latest driver 402? Also did you check of the USB power saving in Windows is disabled?

These two things would be my last ideas...

• Have you tried using the wheel without running fanalab?

• Yeah I disabled all windows options to turn off devices and peripherals, I can try 402 driver but I already had this happen on 3 different versions...

Admitably not recently, always had it on. Although I'm sure first time this happened with original DD1 I wasn't using fanalab.

• If anyone as other ideas or suggestions, I'm open to hear them all.

• Its strange that this issue has now occured 3 times. Are you running any high interference electrical equipment nearby? Can you try a different socket than the one your using for it now? Direct to wall or it's own individual socket? Have you tried driver 346 or 381? Is it usb'd direct to pc?

Things like that may cause issues and are worth ruling out.....

• So I had another one happen to me yesterday, video below. This one little bit different with the base not pulling with high amount of force to the right,

https://youtu.be/YQHCOYxz-50

• edited February 2021

Hi,

i have had my DD1 since 2 weeks and also have had several occursion of this bug it seems.

i am driving normally for some time and suddenly, without any obvious trigger, the wheel base pulls to one side (last time to the left) and only a restart resolves that. Torque is around 7nm.

I am on 400 drivers playing Project Cars 2 on PC with a 918 RSR rim.

Maybe this is a bug of more recent drivers as I could not find anything else than this thread.

Any update on that?

christian

• Sorry I missed you reply yesterday.

Not sure what high interference electrical equipment would be, nothing unusual you would find in an average home.

I got the bases psu plugged in directly to a wall socket, no I did not think to try another as it never felt like a power delivery issue, I'll test it though.

The base is plugged in directly to motherboards rear IO, no hubs or extensions, I did try different usb sockets at this point.

Drivers wise, I think I had this happen on 352, 380 and 400 now.

• When my first DD1 did this to me the technical support was adamant it had to be RMA'd back to them.

• Ok, but you were saying, RMAing it did not solve the issue, right?

• I got a replacement DD1 that appears to be doing the same thing, because mine when tested by technicians was deemed faulty. Whether the replacement one has the same issue and I'm seriously unlucky or someone didn't do something the right way I don't know...

• I had another one happen in RF2, everything I seem to try from suggestions here doesn't help.

Too bad fanatec staff does not reply on this forum :( Guess I'll use this thread to point technical support to.

• Hi Kamil,

i filed a support request with Fanatec on my issue. Let us keep each other updated. Maybe they can find a solution.

• Good luck! Hopefully the next one will good.

• I doubt that. The probability of two single units being faulty for Kamil and me diminuished considerably in my opinion, when Kamil's second unit also showed the same error.

Btw Kamil, do you have any potential high-EMC equipment like a Bassskaker or motion rig you are running? I thought about my Buttkicker interfering with the wheelbase, but could not replicate the error for some days now.

• No I don't. All I have in the room is my PC running from a separate wall plug. The speakers and bass speaker are two or maybe three meters away from the wheel base.

• Another issue for me. Just played ACC for about 30min and suddenly the FFB was gone. No pulling to one side though this time...

I have had no feedback from Fanatec since contacting support on Feb24.

• After couple of days of it not happening I had it happen again tonight. Thought that somehow it might have went away but no... It just appears to be very random.

I haven't contacted them yet as I can't RMA the base until end of March anyway.

• They have contacted me now and asked to update the driver to 402 (kind of a meaningless excercise imho coming from 400), but indeed it changed something...now I get much more frequent issues, basically I can drive a few corners and then the ffb goes turns off etc.

Went back to 400 and reflashed motor and wheelbase firmware, so far no issues, likely back to the old state.

• edited March 2021

Got in touch with them via phone and they will take back and refund the base. The support guy was not really familiar with the issue. Based on the call i have little confidence they can solve that without major research, but at least he accepted and executed my RMA request on the spot.

Just ordered a second DD1 from the store, hoping this unit will perform as expected.

• Hmm they handled your request better then my first DD1. I had to send mine back and wait for it to come back. Hopefully I can get the same treatment with this one.

Thanks for updates Christian, let me know how you get on with the new one.

• The difference might be, that a customer in Germany can send back online purchases for refund within 14 days without giving a reason.

After I had seen there is probably an issue, I have requested that 12 days after buying that, so although they knew the unit is faulty, by law they had to take it back.

But if you want to know something funny, after the last incident, I have tried a 3m USB cable from PC to base instead of the original Fanatec one plus an extension and have not had an issue since :-)

Lets see, I have 30 days now to send back the original unit or the new one which is supposed to arrive tomorrow and will stay sealed for now and I will do some testing with the old one in the meantime. Will keep you updated.

• edited March 2021

Hey Kamil,

take this with a grain of salt, but after having had my last incident on last Thursday and swapping the Fanatec Wheelbase USB cable plus extension for a new 3m single USB cable I have not had a single issue.

I have driven at least 2h per day from thursday evening each day across several sims like PCars 2, ACC and Automobilista 2 with 2 rims.

I had tied the old cable together with the power cord on my rig which might cause interference in the USB at high currents (I at least sometimes saw the issue in long, fast corners). The other theory would be an unstable connection due to e.g. the extension.

What are you using in terms of wheelbase USB? Might be worth a shot to connect to the PC via a different cable and clean in-the-air routing.

I will test for a couple of days more before I plan to switch back to the old cable and see, whether the problems return.

Regards

Chris

• Thanks for updating me Christian.

I have mine plugged in via the fantaec provided usb cable directly into the back of my pc. No hubs or extensions used. It is however in close proximity to other cables running along to the PC but to be honest I never heard of a usb cable to have interference, unless its badly made with lack of shielding or something...

It is interesting point and I'll have to try this out before I send my base back, although I don't have a long enough usb A to B cable at hand to replace it with at the moment.

My DD1 however keeps having this issue sporadically, last Sunday it did it to me again while warming up to a league race literally within 10min of switching it on. It kept me on edge entire race that it will happen again, thankfully not.

• Kamil,

i hope this is my last update. I will leave the conclusions to you, but for me it is pretty obvious.

1.) as you know, i had my last incident on Mar 3 with a pretty steady stream of issues before

2.) swapped the Fanatec USB cable and extension for a single 3m USB cable (same USB port, no other changes in setup)

3.) drove without ANY issue until today (10 days total, 2h per day across various sims)

4.) swapped back to the old Fanatec USB cable and extension today, just to try to force the issue. Had a "pull-to-one-side" issue within 2mins and after rebooting the base an almost immediate "no FFB" issue

5.) changed back to the 3m USB cable and have been happily driving again today for another 2h without hick-ups

Take from that what you may, but i would definitively think your issue is not with any of your units, but the setup. Hope that will help you.

Chris