Trying not to be angry... Couldn't unscrew the nut screw

Khalid JumahKhalid Jumah Member
edited March 2021 in Pedals

Hi,

Yes I'm trying my best not to be angry. Basically what I'm trying to do is unscrew the nut bit from the brake pedal. And it's been a few hours - no hope so far.

The funny thing is, it wasn't an issue on other clutch/throttle pedals. But brake pedal, for some reason, hates me.

I've used 10mm wrench. Slightly damaged the nut screw. So I've used the other one - nut driver, and it's not letting me unscrew it. And yes, I did use the alley on the front of the plate while using wrench/nut driver on the back.

What I'm trying to do is remove the metallic plate for the brake pedal and replace it with the D-shaped plate.

I just wish this was an option - to use metallic or D-shaped plates. That would have saved so much time. Again, I'm not trying to be angry, please help me.

I wouldn't want to send my pedal to Fanatec as I'd have to pay all of the delivery and all that. Would rather if you guys can help me out instead. I have attached all the pictures you need to see.

And yeah, it's slightly damaged after trying so much. This sucks. Tried everything I could.

Comments

• Think the only option is extractor tools. I've got spares for the screws and everything, would extracter tools be okay?

And sorry for my rant by the way.

• Gagaryn .Gagaryn . Member
    edited March 2021

You've made a right mess of that.

Easiest way to get that out is to cut a slot in the back of the bolt with a dremel wheel or hacksaw. Then use a flat head screwdriver to hold the bolt and use vice grips to undo the rounded nut.

But since you were unable to remove this with a hex key and nut driver you might want to delegate the task to someone else. :-)

• Hey I don't know if you've done all this yet but I had a stripped hex screw once and a trick I picked up from somewhere was to jam the right hex in there with a thin rubber band in between the slot of the stripped screw and the hex key itself to help generate grip in the stripped out head. Might be worth a shot?