My experience - Delivery to UK, VAT, Import duty, UPS charges, status updates, etc. **FYI**

Hi

This post is for those looking for delivery to UK, UPS updates, custom charges to UK, Fanatec status updates, etc. I know the feeling when you are waiting for those precious items :)

Order placed on 24/04/21.

Due to an item not in stock delivery was delayed (made aware of at time of the order), item availability: 01/05/21.

On 03/05/21 I received an email from Fanatec with subject: ‘Your Fanatec order will be shipped soon’. The email body said ‘The status of your order has changed to “warehouse processing“.’

At this stage the order status (Go to ‘Orders’ from your Fanatec account) said ‘The order has been processed.’ However, the status for individual item said ‘Open’ (click on ‘View’ from ‘Actions’ to expand and see ‘Status’)

On 05/05/21, I noticed tracking number had been added. Tracking number can be found by going to Orders >> VIEW (under Actions). When expanded, at the bottom left you will see

Order Date

Order Number

Shipping type: UPS Standard

Tracking Number (This line was missing until tracking info was added on 05/05/21)

Please note: At this stage the order status on Fanatec website still said ‘The order has been processed and the status for individual item said ‘Open’.

UPS tracking showed ‘Shipped’ with no Estimated Delivery Date.

On 06/05/21, UPS tracking updated with estimated Delivery date - 11/05/21. Also states ‘Shipment Cleared Customs’. (I guess it’s for export, not import to UK)

Shipment location - ‘Herne-Boernig, Germany’.

No emails from UPS or Fanatec, fyi.

On 07/05/21, UPS Shipment progress shows package arrived in the UK and has had the import Scan.

Following my previous experience of shipment from Europe (Sim-Lab), where I had a scheduled delivery from UPS and on the day of delivery (past delivery time), the status changed to ‘Delivery Refused’, I called UPS to ask why and at that point they said because import duty was not paid. However, I couldn’t find anywhere on UPS website on how to pay nor was informed in any other way that I had to pay and how/where to pay. I called 0345 787 7877 spoke to an agent for tracking, who then transferred to team that deals with import duty. That person then took the payment for import duty and my SimLab items were delivered the same day in the evening.

Hence I did the same, I called 0345 787 7877 spoke to an agent for tracking, who then transferred to the Import/duty/tax team (no direct number available for them) who deal with import duty, etc. They could not see any import fee applicable to the shipment and advised to wait, apparently, I would see it on tracking info, or I could call the day before (10/05/201) of the scheduled shipment of 11/05/21.

Please note: At this stage the order status on Fanatec website still said ‘The order has been processed and the status for individual item said ‘Open’.

On 08/05/21 & 09/05/21, no updates on UPS or Fanatec website, no email either, probably because of the weekend.

On 10/05/21, at 10AM the doorbell rang and it was UPS with my Fanatec delivery. This was unexpected as until now I saw 11/05/21 as scheduled delivery and I was expecting import duty to pay. It probably will come at a later date.

Extremely HAPPY!

On 20/05/21, I receive a priority letter from UPS. It’s an invoice dated 11/05/21.

The conversion rate was either 1.153 if shipping included, or 1.131 if shipping excluded from tax. The amount mentioned on the invoice was without shipping charges.

For my order, my bank charged no transaction/international fee and the conversion rate was 1.147 (this was few weeks ago at the time of order). My order was just under €2k.

Besides the VAT, UPS charged £11.50 for the service.

I called UPS and made the payment. All done.

FYI, the invoice mentions that if payment is made after 7 days of the invoice date then they may charge interest and/or late payment fees of upto £40. I wasn’t charged any.

You can find UPS Shipping Progress below with regards to my order.

10/05/2021

9:55

Delivered

DELIVERED

LONDON, GB

10/05/2021

5:59

Out for Delivery

Out for Delivery

Stanford Le Hope, United Kingdom

10/05/2021

5:57

Import Scan

07/05/2021

14:43

Import Scan

07/05/2021

9:04

Arrived at Facility

06/05/2021

23:43

Departed from Facility

Herne-Boernig, Germany

06/05/2021

9:25

Your parcel is on the way

06/05/2021

9:07

Arrived at Facility

Herne-Boernig, Germany

06/05/2021

7:34

Departed from Facility

Bielefeld, Germany

06/05/2021

3:25

Your parcel was cleared after the scheduled transport departure. We will reschedule for the next available departure.

Bielefeld, Germany

06/05/2021

1:59

06/05/2021

1:57

05/05/2021

23:18

Arrived at Facility

Bielefeld, Germany

05/05/2021

21:19

Departed from Facility

Langenhagen, Germany

05/05/2021

16:57

Shipped

Origin Scan

Langenhagen, Germany

05/05/2021

9:39

Label Created

Shipper created a label, UPS has not received the package yet.

Germany

You can create a free ‘UPS My Choice’ account. You automatically get email/SMS updates if there is a delivery to your address.

Hope this will help someone.

Comments

• Hey,

I've had an invoice through from UPS too.

How did you pay yours?

No instructions whatsoever on what they want me to do with this.

Cheers

• Thanks Adnan, this is really helpful