CSL DD on a Playseat

I have preordered the CSL DD and I am so hyped for it. Still a long wait though, but the wait will be over soon. I wanted to know everyones thinking about mounting the CSL DD to a Playseat Challenge.

Because Boosted Media made an note about flexy cockpits. That it won't be nice to use the CSL DD with the 8 Nm on a flexy cockpit. Now I am scared that if I mount the CSL DD, that it will be flex as well.

PS. A miracle should happen, I need to CSL DD into my life right now! πŸ˜„

Comments

• I didn't know it... I bought the CSL DD with boost kit and I want to use it in my playseat challenge.

• Tomaz JerasTomaz Jeras Member
    edited June 2021

People are using CSW 2.5 with Challenge without problems. They both, CSW and DD have similar max torque.

So, I also have Challenge and dont expect much problems with DD.

The only thing that bothers me is will it be possible to mount it to predrilled holes or not?

• On the bottom of the CSL DD are slots for T-nuts that should allow for mounting.

• Yes, but hopefully, the width between them is correct for Challenge mounting plate.

• They follow the same spacing for the the 3 bolt triangle pattern on the bottom of the CSL Elite and CSW. If the Challenge has those, then yea.

• The T-nuts can be slided and moved, so I think the standard predrilled holes will work.

• I read the other day in a Youtube video, about not a good choice to use the CSL DD 8nm on a playseat Challenge... because He said, you will lose a lot of the feelings.

I have no place for a good cockpit, and I thought the CSL DD is the top of the wheel base that I could use in my case.

What do you think?

https://youtu.be/ml69TLbCExU?t=2907

• I’m sure there would be some flex in the Challenge rig, which would result in less fidelity/details. But don’t let it get into your head that it would be a waste or anything of the sort. What wheelbase are you coming from? I would definitely use the rig, and then just save your money and source a rig that you like and that will accommodate your space and needs.

• edited June 2021

Haha same here, I have a Playseat Challenge too and i ordered the CSL DD. Now, at the moment I play with a Thrustmaster T500RS which has 4.4 nm of torque, and it's really fine. The CSL DD has 5 or 8 nm depending on the power adapter so we are not talking about crazy high torque here. In any case i saw a few YoutTube videos showing ways of making the playseat challenge a bit stiffer, so if necessary i will do some work.

• I am coming from a G29 so, but I won't let it get in my head.

• Do you already have the Challenge Rig? What kind of space are you working with? I can definitely give you some suggestions for rigs to look at. I definitely did a bunch of looking before I purchased mine.

• Let me report my experience, starting with a Playseat Challenge, then switching to a more solid Raceroom Rig and finally ending at a super-solid Simlab-like aluminium-profile rig with a CSL at first, a DD1 and now DD2:

You'll definitely will have some flex at the base, but with neither rig this was as big of an issue. The fine details will be transferred in any way, sometimes with the Playseat they're even better than with the rock solid rig, as the base's vibration will move on through the whole rig. However and in my case, as the base grew stronger, the hard impacts clearly stressed out the seat/rig, making the long time duration of the rig nearly impossible.

But the biggest difference between my three rigs was clearly the pedal part. From the moment onwards, you're moving to a loadcell brake, your rig should be as solid as possible! The Playseat was absolutely overburden with the CSL LC pedals, even with the Raceroom seat I could experience an unfavorable amount of flex at the pedal plate. After moving to a V3 pedal set and by now to HE Ultimates, there is not much left except a profile rig....

• Huge +1 to this. Listen to Michael. I totally forgot about pedals in relation to flex. Very on point.

• I have some space. But still, I wanted to use the Challenge right now. I will see what will happen when I get everything here.

I dont yet have the LC mod on the CSL Pedals.

• Anyway, take a look at ebay, thingiverse or similar for screw-on adapters for the pedal set. The Challenge seat version with velcro tape isn't anywhere near reliable.

• The velcro tape isnt that bad, it only presses the pedals downwards. The action you do is pressing it into the holder of the Challenge. I will just have to see and wait.

• This is how I fixed my clubsport pedals to "what I call" the trombone section of the Playseat. I had 4 bars made with hole centres to match pedals. These clamp round (2 front and 2 back) the tube. To stop the tube being damaged there are 20mm long nylon spaces between the bars. Countersunk M8 Allen bolts with M8 locknuts. The whole arrangement is solid as a rock.

• Tomaz JerasTomaz Jeras Member
    edited August 2021

I can confirm first hand that DD works quite OK with Playseat Challenge. There is some flex forward-backward in base olate clamping mechanism, but main motion when driving is left-right and Challenge is surprisingly stable in that direction.

I have 8Nm version and so far very satisfied. Coming from Logitech G923, DD is, if I quote Monty Python, something completely different πŸ˜€.

Can paste some pictures, if anyone interested.

BTW, I found original M6x20 screws too long. The best fit were M6x12.

• Hi Tomaz,

Did you have to move the plate forward on backward to be able to align the holes of the plate with the base ? A picture from below the plate will help if you can. Thank you

• Hi,

I put it backward, because moving forward, I found the wheel to close to drive comfortably.

I am quite tall (188cm), so in backward position, distance is almost spot on. I used all three T-nuts, but the middle one is on minimal insert into the groove.

I hope picture will explain.

• my wheel will be dispatching soon so I just want to make sure I have everything correct, you say the M6x20 were too long, these are the ones included with the seat correct? I heard in a review the CSLDD does not come with the bolts for the T-nuts, so can I ask did you have to source the M6x12 bolts yourself or are they included with the seat/wheel base and I have misunderstood something, thanks

• Erik EkErik Ek Member
    edited October 2021

My main thread is https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/24024/new-to-fanatec but thought it would be better to post about the racing seat here. First, to get it off the table, I will go with Playseat, question is only which version.

Standard: Verdict seems to be quite clear on it not being rigid enough for DD bases, plus a weak pedal base. Is the wheelbase post in between legs ok to live with when paired with a two-pedal setup?

Pro: Will this be sufficient for DD 1/2 or would it just be suboptimal to pay large money for such base when combined with this seat?

Intelligence/Ultimate: Can it manage DD2 or would it balance better with a DD1?

Any experience with any of the seats would be much appreciated, thanks.

• If you are also not satisfied of the angle mounting a ddpro on a playseat evolution, then I recommend to look at this…

https://www.ebay.de/itm/144899421008