Xbox and Fanatec Driver Tuning Menus?

Hi all, I am brand new here so forgive my ignorance. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my CSL DD which I will be using with an Xbox Series X for the time being. I know I have to use the driver to update the firmware, but is the software useful for anything else if I am going to be using an Xbox? In other words, if I adjust anything in the tuning menu or create presets, will they "work" with Xbox? Or will all of my wheel tuning be done in-game? Thanks for any info in advance!

Comments

• up to 5 different setups can be saved on the wheelbase, so if you change something on the fly within the tuning menu it immediately effects the FFB of the CSL DD. This doesn't depend on the plattform you are using .

• Interesting, okay. So if you can tune the FFB on the wheelbase, and then also tune it in the game, it seems like that introduces a lot of variables. What do most people do for setting up the in-game wheel settings and then the wheelbase settings so they dont conflict with each other?

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Mark,

The default 'standard' Tuning Menu on the CSL DD is intended for new users like yourself. It only has the overall strength setting and the Natural Damper, so this is something you can get used to before unlocking the 'advanced' Tuning Menu with all the filters. The standard Tuning Menu should still give you a good experience in most games.

If you check the Recommended Settings of the forum, you'll find we list both in-game and Tuning Menu settings for most popular games. We haven't updated the lists for the CSL DD yet, but it will be pretty similar to the Podium settings but with the FF value generally at 100. If you take a look at a few different games you should get a feel for what we're going for.

It is true that there are a bunch of variables, but some are much more significant than others. Please download the CSL DD Manual from the product page and read about what the FFB filters do. The recommended settings are a good starting point but you should also experiment by changing one setting at a time to understand how it affects the behaviour and find what feels best to you.

Every game developer has different ideas about how to present a force feedback settings menu, so more experimentation is required.

Some general points:

• If you want more strength, run higher FF settings in the Tuning Menu, don't turn up the in-game strength setting too high (this can cause clipping). It is almost always better to run a higher Tuning Menu FF setting and a lower in-game strength setting.
    • Many games offer additional effect sliders like 'kerb effects' or 'off road effects', or 'understeer enhancement'. These are usually 'canned' effects and not part of the true physics output and should be left off or kept quite low. All the true force feedback should already be coming through the wheel without the need for exaggerated effects.
    • Avoid adding too much NFR or NIN in the Tuning Menu. These filters help to simulate extra resistance and weight to your steering, which might feel realistic, but it can be a hindrance to the clarity of the force feedback signal from the game.
    • Experiment with INT - this affects the feel of the signal more than any other filter. The lower the value, the more 'pure' the feedback will be, but it can feel too raw or grainy in some cases. Higher values smooth the effects to the point where it feels like you are driving on a cloud.

Have fun ;)

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• This is great info! thank you so much! And I assume all of this applies to Xbox as well as PC?

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Yes it does. The 'FOR', 'SPR', and 'DPR' modifiers are not available on Xbox but those are mostly left at 100 on PC anyway.