What’s the deal with lack of XBox functionality Fanatec??

It’s about time to get this all straightened out. I can’t believe you are selling the formula v2.5x listing all the features AND not being clear most of them STILL DONT WORK ON XBOX. And the fact other companies have found ways around this like Logitech and the new fully functional flight sim gear to use with Microsoft flight simulator makes it worse. Ignoring everyone of your customers that want to use this gear on Xbox as described before purchased is bad form to say the least. I haven’t seen you even respond to a single post related to this problem. The ONLY reason I even purchased your brand was FOR Xbox so if I have to build a pc (when videos cards are available again, who knows when that will be) why would I choose fanatec when it seems you don’t care about your end users?

Comments

• The functionality of this product on Xbox or PlayStation can be limited by the capabilities of the console (subject to firmware/OS changes and developer support). The full functionality can only be guaranteed on PC; this is also game-dependent.

It says this right on the product description page. So, yes they tell you that plain and clear. You obviously didn’t read.

• Plain and clear? as mud.

which features do work? which don't? they could have a little more clarity on what to expect.

• Come on, that disclaimer is pretty vague, at best. It's not unreasonable when you're spending the kind of money that these products are sold for, to expect full functionality of all of your brand new wheel's dials, switches, and buttons. Especially when other companies such as Logitech (who sell "inferior" gear), have figured out a way to do it. It really is a black eye for Fanatec's supposedly "elite" status, among the Xbox community.

And all that we're ever presented with from Fanatec's side is that Microsoft need to open up the SDK to allow them to do it. And Microsoft points the finger back saying that Fanatec need to create a proper API to enable it.

Both sides know that the number of Xbox gamers looking for high end gear like this is comparatively very small, and isn't worth the resources to invest to come up with a solution. So they both just keep kicking the can down the road, hoping that Xbox gamers will get tired of asking and just go away already.

• No argument there, people just shouldn’t say that they don’t tell you not everything works.

• I think only big buzz on reddit and twiiter can trigger Fanatec managment to pay attention on this issue. By writing about it on this forum, we're just shaking the air.

Does somebody can create threads on Reddit?

• FEATURES

• Officially licensed for Xbox One® and Xbox Series X|S
    • Formula-style steering wheel with a compact diameter of 270 mm for fast movements and reactions
    • Durable construction made of metal and carbon fibre
    • 5 mm solid carbon fibre front plate. Carbon fibre plate is constructed of approx. 30 layers of unidirectional carbon cloth
    • Genuine Alcantara® grips
    • Rubber-coated surfaces including button framing and thumb encoders
    • ClubSport Magnetic Paddle Module pre-installed
      • 3 mm-thick, black anodised aluminium paddle plates
      • Paddle module cage made of CNC machined aluminium
      • Neodymium magnets
      • Paddle module easily upgradable to Podium Advanced Paddle Module (optional)
    • Two 2-way toggle switches
    • 11 buttons plus four paddles with ultra-reliable switches
    • Steering wheel weight: approx. 1250 g
    • Two 12-way multi-position switches with encoder functionality
    • 7-way FunkySwitch™: left, right, up, and down directional inputs, push button, and rotary encoder functionality
    • Analogue joystick
    • Two thumb encoders easily reachable while driving without releasing the grips
    • Two vibration motors integrated with the grips, controllable through wheel Tuning Menu (SHO) or by game through Fanatec SDK
    • RevLEDs with nine multi-colour LEDs to show motor RPM and optimal shifting point as games program through the Fanatec SDK
    • Two FlagLEDs with three multi-colour LEDs each to indicate tyre slip, flag warnings, pit limiter, and more, as games program through the Fanatec SDK
    • User-defined LED and display behavior via FanaLab
    • 1" 128x64 white OLED display to show telemetry data like speed or gear as games program through the Fanatec SDK
    • White Xbox One connection status LED
    • Tuning functions with OLED display to adjust settings independent from the game and during gameplay (see description of compatible wheel base/racing wheel for details)
    • Detachable Xbox button caps
    • Racing-style button caps included
    • Exchangeable aluminium quick release

Where does it that in the description?? Having to dig that deep after reading the description is misleading af. I’d wager most folks don’t see the quick reference guide until the wheel arrives. This is what people see and the opening line is Officially licensed for Xbox, then all the features that don’t work for Xbox. Not very clear at all. And that isn’t the entire point. These can be fully functional WITHOUT a new SDK from Microsoft because other companies are currently doing it, so the finger pointing back and forth between Microsoft and Fanatec is silly at this point.

• If you scroll down on that very same page from which you copy and pasted then you would see what I posted previously. So that information is on the same page that you used as defense…..once again selective reading.

• It’s a console what do you expect…… it’s not like it’s a pc !!

• Check out Dom's comment in this thread.. Might it be finally happening? https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/23917/xbox-functionality-and-fanatec-sdk-status#latest

• Is there a Reddit thread on this somewhere ? Dominic says things are in motion. I really hope we get some word on this soon.

• No disrespect to you or to Dominic, but you'll have to forgive me if I don't hold my breath.

• None taken, I’m cautiously optimistic

• And again for people buying this why is it so difficult to see?? Scroll down, this page ect ect after what I already shown fanatec claiming Xbox compatibility. I abmire the fact you are so “Fanatec” loyal even though I can’t understand why you feel the need to act like a defender. It isn’t clearly stated, PERIOD. Is it stated?? IN THE ABSOLUTE FINE PRINT. But again that’s not the entire point now is it. Blaming Microsoft who in turn blames fanatec has been going on far too long. And my point is that if I have to build a PC to enjoy Sim Racing then why on earth would I support a company that ignored a segment of customers requests. At that point so many other companies products are now available. I, like many other customers purchased Xbox compatible devices, not limited functionality Xbox devices. Keep on with your fine print nonsense, but it’s here “squint to see it”” or here “squint to see it”. If functionality is half of PC then that’s the kinda thing that’s needs to be front and center when touting compatibility. We paid the same as everyone else and just want our gear to work. PERIOD. If you tired of us speaking up stop looking at our posts.

• lol simples just use the Xbox to hold open the kitchen door and buy a pc problem solved. !!

• Just curious, does xBox make their own wheels with FFB? Thought they have other controllers on the pehripheral for their consoles?

Does Thrustmaster/Logitech wheels work well on the xBox with less problems?

Am I right that brands like LeoBodnar, simXperience and simUcube does not support consoles?

• Gregg DomainGregg Domain Member
    edited October 2021

Microsoft made a wireless FFB wheel for the 360 back in the day. I never used one, but from what I gather, it performed reasonably well for the price (around 200 I think?) Nothing since though.

To my knowledge, Logitech and Thrustmaster wheels have the same issues as Fanatec wheels, when it comes to additional buttons and inputs on their wheels. Apparently, according to Dominic here, Logitech was able to coax more functionality by utilizing a now-closed loophole. So unless something changes, all those extra buttons on your brand new wheel (be it from Fanatec, Logitech, or Thrustmaster) will either be doubles for things like LT/RT and LB/RB with no ability to be reassigned, or they simply won't work at all.

Regarding other "high-end" sim racing gear for consoles, Fanatec is as good as it gets, far as I'm aware.

• Maybe the xBox or PS are really made for gaming with hand held controllers and they (console manufacturers) just throw in racing game titles to attract more buyers. But I heard you can "drive" a car on these games, using a controller though. Much more so than to use a keyboard and mouse!

• I wanted to make sure that the printing you call "fine print" is actually the same size and font as the "main" description". It is all the same size plus under "Special Notes" is this:

• In order to operate this product, a compatible Fanatec Wheel Base (not included) is mandatory!
    • Some features might not be supported on Xbox One® or Xbox Series X|S. Functionality also depends on game developer implementation of the Fanatec SDK.
    • High Torque Mode on Podium wheel bases is available when using the QR1 Wheel-Side (ClubSport Quick Release Adapter) with this wheel.
    • If you select the QR1 Wheel-Side (ClubSport Quick Release Adapter) with this product, the QR1 Lite Wheel-Side will not be included.

I'm not going to call you out for not knowing, I read all that and still made the purchase. The fact the Xbox does not allow mapping was something I didn't know. I was the one who did not investigate or or look on these forums. Luckily I have the McClaren wheel so the upper Paddle allows me to down shift as well since it pivots both ways.

I need to map as playing one handed I need to find a button to use to down shift, on my WRC wheel. . That and the need to remap buttons used for in game controls. I was able to do this with a PS3 and assumed XBOX X would be the same. My fault but luckily I have a top end PC that handles all of those needs for all games and sims for me.

My XBox will probably be sold with my two games on disc, Heat 5 and F1 2021

So quit complaining and start enjoying your new equipment for what in can do. It will be great for your blood pressure and your mind.

One Hand Racer

The Name says it all

• That's great that you're able to find a solution that fits your needs, but not everyone is willing or able to sell their Xbox and go out and purchase a new PC (and re-purchase all the same games).

Telling people to "quit complaining" when they have a legitimate issue to be upset about is dismissive and unhelpful.

• If your on Xbox you can play all the games from Xbox on pc !

edited October 2021

Not without repurchasing them, you can't. There are a couple of racing games that exist on Game Pass for both Xbox and PC, so they wouldn't technically require a repurchase unless you bought any DLC for them, but still, unless it's a 1st-party game (i.e. published by MS) your game progression doesn't transfer.

Which is all beside the point anyway, because there'd be no need to repurchase anything for another platform if Fanatec's "Xbox Compatible" products were actually *fully* Xbox compatible.

• Finally a comment from Fanatec even if it’s just a small one.

Have been requesting feedback since ages and I would wish Thomas would make a statement on this topic.

It’s so annoying that six buttons on the Xbox universal hub won’t work with ACC.

Give us a official statement please.

edited October 2021

Bro...I have GP Ultimate. You can't. This is exactly what I've been going through for the last month or so, transitioning from Xbox to PC, so I know what I'm talking about.

• Off topic but: 360 wheel wasn't wireless but was ffb, it was amazing imo at time and the start of my progression to actually buying the ultimate Fanatec.

Please please Fanatec, do the deal with ms and get the buttons and lights all working.. We are all here moaning because we love your product but wanna use all of it. Fight our corner and we'll all end up spending more and more on fancy wheels (I see no need in me buying anything more until I can use all the features) and upgraded bases, the whole time raving about how good the kit and insisting its worth investing in, to anyone who'll listen!

• It may not have been truly wireless but it was certainly marketed that way. No wire was needed to connect to the 360. It did require the pedals to be plugged into the base, and you had the option of plugging in the AC adapter or using batteries/ rechargeable packs.

• the lack of transparency and communication regarding this topic is disappointing, the fact that the xbox console is the only one that doesn't enable majority of the fanatec features and if you don't look deeper into the small of features of the hardware of your choice you would think your ok with statements of officially licensed for xbox.

whats more annoying is the only ever comments made by fanatec regarding this issue that its Microsoft issue yet the new thrustmaster sf1000 has full functionality including full details of the LCD screen. so i am more interested as to why we still cant unlock the same features that playstation and PC have

video of the SF1000 running on f1 2021 xbox https://www.facebook.com/groups/715191821996762/permalink/1698739673641967/

• Sorry if I'm wrong, but doesn't the "XBOX compatible" and "Officially licensed for XBOX" really just mean that you can use the wheel with the Xbox since the chip is built in the wheels, like how the PS chips are built into the base. I'm still fairly new in all of this and will be buying the CSL DD when the PS version comes out, and I know I would need to buy an XBOX wheel if I want to use it with XBOX.

I always do research before buying something and was about to just get the XBOX DD but then I found out that the features were limited after reading the description on Fanatec's site and after 2 minutes of Googling I knew everything that did and didn't work.

My guess of why they don't post each and every single feature that doesn't work is that it could be something that evolves with different updates and like they said, different games. Wouldn't make sense to write a feature and next to it put a * saying "works with these 3 games, but not with these 5" or "This feature worked last update but now a new update is out and we lost functionality"

Luckily I have a PS5 so I have been buying all of the games I really wanna play on there and only wanna play Forza on the XBOX.