Fanatec CSL DD Oscillating when turning at speed

I have a CSL DD with Formula 2.5 wheel and when I play F1 2021 the FFB is smooth and the car drives well.

However, in ACC, similar settings produce a very different feel. The wheel is smooth while driving in a straight line but whenever I try to turn with speed, I get a kind of hard bouncy oscillation feel.

First things first, is this supposed to be the case in ACC? Is it supposed to be different from F1 2021, whether it be the fact it's an older game and may use less of the CSL DD's features, or whether the FFB is just supposed to be this way?

Or is there some setting I've overlooked. The only one so far that's really made a noticeable difference is significantly lowering the FFB strength, or if I change it to linear. Dampner doesn't do much and neither does much else.

Looking for advice or suggestions.

Best,

Comments

• Have you used the Fanatec recommended settings that are posted here in the forum? That's what I use, and aside from some slight tweaks to overall strength and wheel degrees of rotation, I find them to be very good.

• Hi, yes, those are what I started with. What specifically did you tweak from these?

When you're taking a corner, what do you experience through the wheel? Is it a consistent strength that you can control in a steady fashion through your hands or does the FFB make your hands bounce a bit as you fight with the corner?

Do you have F1 2021 and is the FFB exactly the same between the two?

• I reduced steering sensitivity in Fanalab to ~900 IIRC, and I think I may have bumped the FF up or down 5% or so (don't remember exactly, but it was pretty minor). I can't test it right now, but I think I know what you mean about the "bounciness". I think what you're feeling may be the car's suspension reacting to the change of direction, and the forces that occur as a result of the weight shifting around. I don't have F1 2021, but I do have 2020 on Xbox. The two do indeed feel very different, but I think this is to be expected, as an F1 car is very different in nearly every respect to a GT car.

• OK that's interesting. If you do get to test, let me know if feels similar to what I am explaining. I'm curious. :)

Interestingly the bumpiness doesn't appear to translate directly into the actual steering, i.e. I don't get the impression in the game that I am actually zigzagging around a corner, although it does feel like I would be!

In the meantime I think I will turn down the FFB strength a little from the recommended settings so as to make it feel a little less bumpy whilst cornering.

• Try stiffening your suspension and anti-roll-bars? I think it is the game and not your base.

• Hi David,

Ok I hadn't actually considered that this cornering bumpiness feeling could directly related to the setup and more specifically the softness of my suspension or antiroll bars. I had just been using the Aggressive setup of the Huracan and tweaking it mildly one way or another, so I will try stiffening those, and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks

• Jamie PollockJamie Pollock Member
    edited August 2022

Ok, so it's definitely not suspension or setup related. I've tried all sorts of stuff now, and the only thing that influences it is the FFB setting (which I now have set at 60% in game) and a little bit of the damper setting (DPR now at 30% in Fanatec control panel). However, none of these remove this bouncy oscillation effect, they just lessen it.

It is most noticeable on long high speed curves like at Spa.

• Wow sorry to hear you're still having trouble with this. Have you tried with a different car other than the Huracan? I haven't driven it much, maybe it's something you're feeling that's specific to that vehicle?

I've mainly been using the Aston and the 911. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the only slight "bounciness" I sometimes feel actually feels ok to me, since it comes across as being the weight of the car shifting around from changing direction.

I'll try to take a look later today and post my wheel and game settings here for you to compare, as I believe I've changed them a bit from the last time I posted here.

I'll take a look at the setup I've used at Spa (just ran the 24-hr race in career in the Aston and it felt pretty good). I think it was based largely on the Aggressive setup with a few tweaks, but I'll post that here too just so you can do a direct, apples to apples comparison.

• I do wonder if it's just the stronger FFB from ACC combined with some of the bumpier road textures and turning at high speed, as it doesn't happen in any of my other racing games - F122, Forza, etc.

• Gregg DomainGregg Domain Member
    edited August 2022

Ok so, here are my settings that I'm currently using. This is with a CSL DD 5Nm and McLaren v2 wheel, running ACC 1.8.18.

(PC Mode)

SEN 990

FFB 100

FFS PEAK

NDP OFF

NFR OFF

NIN OFF

FEI 100

FOR 100

SPR OFF

DPR 50

BLI (user preference)

MPS PULSE

In-game settings:

Gain: 70

Min Force: 0

Damper: 50

Dynamic Damping: 150

Road Effects: 5

Frequency: 400Hz

Steer Lock: 990

Steer Linearity: 1.00

Brake Gamma: 1.00

Gearshift Debouncing: 50ms

Manufacturer Extras: Enabled

This is my setup I've used for hotlapping in the Aston V12 around Spa. It's mostly based on the Aggressive setup, with a few tweaks but nothing major, as I recall. I think you're probably right with your comment about what you're feeling being based on the higher-fidelity FFB that ACC is capable of conveying. Even when you're driving over a presumably "smooth" piece of tarmac, there's still a lot of detail coming through the wheel from things like tire deformation, suspension movement, body roll/flex, and undulations of the laser-scanned tracks that you're never going to get from games like F1 or Forza. It may take a bit of getting used to, but I do think you'll come to appreciate it if you give it a shot.