ClubSport Shifter Sequential mode on Playstation - reversed up/downshift

Hi fellow racers,

I have a question (or possibly a problem).

Setup: CLS Elite base with P1 wheel licences for Playstation, CSL Elite pedals with LC mode, ClubSport Shifter SQ, Playstation 4 and 5

The shifter is the new addition and the source of my issue. The shifter is connected to the wheel base to port Shifter1. It was calibrated (H pattern) but H is not the issue.

When in game (Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2) paddles are configured as follows: right paddle (R1) for upshifts and left paddle (L1) for downshift. Shifter is in sequential mode and I want to have it as follows: push for upshifts and pull for downshift

The problem is that the shifter recognises push as L1 and pull as R1 - which is opposite to what paddles are. In Project Cars 2 I can remap so L1 is used for upshifts and R1 for downshift which makes the shifter usable in sequential mode but paddles are reveres and unusable (as the brain is not used to that). In Assetto Corsa I am not able to remap it. Even if I remap like in PCARS2, L1 for upshifts and R1 for downshift, the shifter still works as follows: push downshifts gears, pull upshifts gears.

Has anyone noticed that issue in Assetto Corsa on Playstation 4 or 5. Is this normal behaviour from this shifter that pushing maps L1 and pulling maps R1. Can someone who has that setup test it to confirm. I do not thing shifter can be calibrated in sequential mode, can't it? Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks, and I wish you a safe and fair racing.

Q

Comments

• I don't know, but most sequential shifters that I've ever seen in real life function by pulling for an upshift, and pushing for a downshift.

• Check out the Settings page in the driver. There is a box that you can tick that will map the sequential shifter to the paddles, it kind of gives you doubles of L1/R1. But really no matter what, that is how the shifter works. Push is a downshift, pull is an upshift. So, it is working properly, pushing would be L1(downshift), and pulling would be R1(upshift).

• Guys, thank you very much. You have no idea how eye opening your comments were. I was convinced that you have to push for upshift so I went straight to YT after reading your comments. And there it was. Real life drivers pull for upshift in racing cars - exactly as you wrote. Great, so my Fanatec shifter works as intended, just my brain was broken :D Now I have to train it to switch over. will take a few laps but it was so worth it asking this question here. Thanks again

• Happy to help. FWIW, you're not the only one who thinks like that. IRL, the first few years that Porsche introduced their Tiptronic transmission for road-going cars, you had to push for upshifts and pull for downshifts. Thankfully they came to their senses before too long. 🤪

It may help to think of it in terms of what happens to your body because of inertia when you brake or accelerate: generally you want to downshift when you're braking, right? When you brake, your body lunges forward... so you want to push the shifter forward as well to downshift. Likewise, when you accelerate your body is forced back into your seat, so you want to pull the shifter back toward you to upshift.

• yeah. definitely pull for upshifts. just like colin mcRae... RIP!!!