Random grinding sensation when changing between sessions

Hello,

I have a DD1 running the latest driver and firmware. When running rfactor2 I randomly get a grinding (sand like) feel in the steering of the DD1. This happens on occasion when I change between sessions (Practice, qualy and races).

The only way to get rid of it is to get out of the sim and reset my DD1, then get back into the sim. The wheel will then run through any number of sessions before picking up the grinding feel at some random time. The same issue happened with the previous drivers and has not changed since updating drivers and fanalab.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Comments

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Peter,

Are you sure it's not related to the physics? There's a lot of dynamic things going on in rF2 that can affect FFB (damage, tyre evolution, track evolution).

• Peter BaxterPeter Baxter Member
    edited September 2020

Hi Dominic,

I am absolutely sure this issue is not physics related. The grinding sensation comes into the wheel and can be felt before taking the car out of the pits. It only happens in rfactor2, does not occur in iracing, Ams or AC. It genuinely feels like sand in the bearing of the steering but I know it is electronic because it goes away after a full reset. The feeling is there right after a new session is entered, if I start a session without it, the wheel will stay normal for the whole session. It can happen in both single and online driving modes.

If it was physics, it would not come and go like it does. It also happens on different cars in rfactor2, I mostly drive GT3 cars but I also got the same thing with touring cars.

i also have friends with the same DD1 combination and they do not experience what I am getting.

Regards, Peter

• Hi

i have the same problem like Peter has but i have a cs 2.5 wheel base. i would say serated sensation but the grindig is good way to put it in words too and its also give some noises when the problem is come out. lately it also happend that not just betwen session changes but when i was in the garage and go out to the track the problem was there (only 2 times) .. so again the problem is the same, only with rfactor2 betwen session changes exept that two times as i mentioned. i hope for some solution because i can't participate in a serious race like this , no one gonna wait for me to restart the wheel.

• I also get this same issue using the latest drivers for my Fanatec DD1.

I've also heard others with same issue and it seems to be if you have clicked "Race" more than 17 times I think?

• Same issue after upgrading to the latest beta driver and firmware, happens everytime i play rfactor2 now:(

I just need to leave the track and come back in and it's ok for a little while.

What drivers is everyone else using?

• Wow this needs to be fixed ASAP if now happening all the time!

• Tony BinelliTony Binelli Member
    edited December 2020

quick update, happened again tonight on change of a session, while in game just wound down damping from 100 to zero and the grainyness went. to be clear not natural dampening but DPR next to spring. Also gone back to 373 driver so the driver is not the issue it's more likely to be the firmware(might even be the motor firmware). damper seems to have no effect in rfactor2 so i will leave it at zero

• Peter BaxterPeter Baxter Member
    edited January 2021

Hi everyone, OP here checking in again because the same fault happened again to me during my regular Thursday night rfactor2 racing.

It has been 4 months now since starting this thread and all we have so far is more reports by users and a seemingly fanatec support member that thinks we cannot distinguish between rfactor2 feedback and a fault. It is quite disappointing.

Thanks to Tony Benelli for the suggestion on the damping setting, will give it a try next time it happens...ie, once a week for me.

Now...where is fanatec support?

• The damping setting didn't fix it for me

• Any news here guys ? i have also this issue, pretty annoying. :(

• Don't think this issue will ever be fixed. :(

• Hi,

i had the same problem this evening on my new CSL DD Base.

Switch from qualification to race and it feels like the discription in the first post.

I must leave rfactor, turn off and on the wheelbase and restart rfactor.

The latest drivers and firmwares are installed, so please give an reaction…thx!

Greetz

Patrick

• I have exactly the same here with my CSL DD with boost kit.

Between sessions the base gives the grainy/sandy fee l(like gears)

Restart game and base fixes it till next session change sometimes.

Only happens in Rfactor2. not on other sims

• Try the following workaround (if the new UI will start...):

If the problem occurs, set the value for the damper to "off" in the driver UI, reset FFB and it works fine. Then I was able to raise the value again without any problems

Greetz

Patrick

• edited September 2021

Thanks.

Will test it next time it comes again

• Got the same problem, it gets fixed with DPR off

• Can we please get a real fix for this? Firmware version seems to not matter. It makes rFactor 2 unplayable. And since rFactor sucks, you can't just restart the sim and fix it.

The reset ffb option doesn't help. This issue isn't random. It happens every since time to me when the session progresses. Fanatec should have no issue recreating this since it happens over and over reliably and apparently since 2020.

• Still happening with driver 431 and new rfactor build

• I have had my CSL DD for about 2 weeks now. The weird part is that so far, I've only gotten it when I use my McLaren GT wheel and not my R330/Universal Hub V2 combo wheel. I think the Univ Hub V2 is a newer product so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Odd that it would be wheel firmware rather than motor firmware.

• I got the issue again while in game and successfully fixed it by setting the DPR to zero. I didn't bother setting it back since I can't tell the difference. If I raised the DPR back up, the grittiness level came back proportional to the slider position in the control panel. I didn't try resetting FFB but I don't need to since I will just leave DPR off.

• Hello everyone,

I would like to add my testimony to this issue as it happens to me from time to time.

I have a DD2 so regarding the type of product I am very disappointed when it happens and frustrated also because I need to restart the base DURING the game session.

On my side though, it happens only when I play Dirt Rally 2.0 and it never happened playing ACC, which are my two main games.

The DPR setting that you talked about is used in both games. So I doubt that's a solution.

I have also the intuition (maybe wrong) that it is related to the universal hub because on ACC, I play with the Podium Hub.

I have knowledge of this issue since before I even bought my DD2, so I can't understand that Fanatec support did not find a solution. Although I can understand it is complicated because impossible to reproduce on purpose.

Let's hope someone find one day what's doing this and a true solution is provided.

• Thanks alot! setting DRP to zero seems to have fixed it for me aswell, with my limited testing.

• Bumping this because no suggestions in here or here https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/ffb-becomes-grainy-after-session-change.66959/page-3 fix the issue for me on my gt dd,

Please fanatec, help!

• Same problem fotbme with the grainy ffb after changing sessions in Rf2, fanatec recommend to put the DPR on zero to avoid the probblem but this bad "solutions" completely change the feeling of the ffb of the game.

Other brands of direc drive don't have this problem on rf2

• Same problem here, DD1 on rF2, the issue seems to come and go with different driver versions but with 450 it's worse now.

• I got my wheel back from them. They replaced a part. It still does it but only on power on for maybe 10 seconds. As soon as u go into any game it stops.

• Raúl ViñasRaúl Viñas Member
    edited November 2023

Lol i thought i was going crazy.. i have the same same problem. more than 1 month with this isue. (CSL DD 8NM)

any fix ?

• Still present.. degradation, grainess, call it as you will 😊 Even with DPR off it can appear after multiple setup changes and pits. It is exactly as it was when I received the DD1. No fixes for this in any driver.

• The fanatec bases are full of issues.....sad

• Hello all, I've been fighting with the rF2 devs since I got my CSL DD to get this issue fixed. I'm sure you know they just said it was Fanatec's fault, despite I and many others saying this issue was only happening in rF2, since they've been saying the same thing for years. Well it seems they have finally and officially admitted that this is an issue with rF2 and their game engine "recreating direct input effects" according to them. Here's proof direct from the developers on the LMU discord.

The best part is that my first question was if this fix will be implemented in rF2 now that they finally admit it's an issue with their engine and all I got was silence. Going to go out on a limb and say the writing on the wall is a big FU to the rF2 users because it wouldn't make them money to go to the trouble of fixing this in rF2, it's LMU or nothing it seems... Just figured everyone would like the update.