dd2 wheel disconnecting randomly

hey there the problem started about 2 weeks ago! When i was playing ACC. mid race online with all my sim racing buddy's the rim disconnected losing all FFB( like i have disconnected it!) i ended up taking a friend out and losing the race! i then checked in fanatec's new software(which i really like) and it looked like the rim was not attached to the base showing the disconnected symbol! but the hub/steering wheel(Porsche 911 GT3 steering wheel with podium module) was still attached and had not been removed from the base!!

Since then the problem has continued to happen across multiple sims! weather it be AC,ACC,AMS2 or dirt rally 2 and at random times during game play. I have 2 different podium hubs one i use for drifting with a 330mm round rim and a Podium Steering Wheel Porsche 911 GT3 steering wheel with Podium Button Module Endurance which i use for racing and both do the same and the steering wheel disconnects randomly mid race no matter which of my hubs i have attached to the base. i was running pc driver 429 at that time so i went and updated to pc driver 434 and new firmware but the problem still continues, i have try 3 different types of USB port's 2.0,3.0,3.1 resulting in the same thing in the hub disconnecting. i have even uninstalled all fanatec software and reinstalled it and i am still getting the same problem.

i have check for bent pins in the both podium hubs and found none, check all allen key bots are they were all tight.

any help would be great appreciated

happy new year and best regards

Comments

• See if your USB power settings set unused devices to sleep. I recommend you disable that setting.

• it was enabled. i have disabled it now and its just done it again. just tried 3 different wheels and none were recognised. so i had to power it down and turn usb off.i then turned usb back on then power base up from the e/stop button and now it recognising all 3 different rims and is working again. this was at 10pm tonight(gmt)

just now i was playing ACC and the rim disconnected for about 5/10 seconds then came back on.

any help is greatly appreciated

• If you are using CSL DD, you might want to check if shaft is sitting properly. There are few topics on the forum with the similar issues for CSL DD / GT DD PRO.

• sorry i should have said in the post its a dd2,i will have to get manual out tomoz and take shaft off and re seat it

• just come up with exceeded maximum rotations? please restart wheel base! anyone had this

• Did you manage to get to the bottom of this my bmw rim on my dd2 has started doing the same and I get random down shifts

• Hello all.

I also have such problems since November or December 2021. These occur sporadically, unfortunately not predictable.

I use my Podium DD2 Wheel Base for about 1.5 years. Faultless until these problems occurred (about 1000 hours until then).

Days can go by without an error. When the error occurs, it remains persistent. Unfortunately it is not possible to quickly restart the computer and the Wheel Base during a multi-player race. I know two different error patterns.

1. The control hangs for about 0,5 seconds, then it is free again. This is the most common error. I had this error pattern with different simulations (ACC, AC, Automobilista 2, RaceRoom, ...).

2. Up- or downshifting is not possible. Then I have to get off the gas pedal and then it works again. So far I had this problem only with ACC, but actually always in combination with problem no. 1.

I drive almost only ACC. Besides ACC, I also have other applications and tools running. I wasn't sure if it was a hardware or software problem. I usually still have the following software running in parallel:

- SimHub for my SD43-X Dash

- FanLab

- OneNote with my tire pressure DB

- (sometimes) MoTec

- (sometimes) Edge with web pages (e.g. LFM)

- (sometimes) OBS Studio and/or a screenshot tool

I drive with paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Club Sport Shifter SQ V1.5 and Club Sport Handbrake V1.5 are currently not mounted. As pedals I use Heusinkveld Ultimate Pedals.

Before my tests, I updated OS and all software, including Fanatec firmware. Then I left out individual software until I ended up just running the simulation. Still, the error occurred at some point.

Then I also increasingly tested other simulations, but the error occurred at some point too.

Next I tried different steering wheels:

- R300 with Advanced Paddle Module and HUB

- ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2 with Advanced Paddle Module and HUB

Even with different steering wheels the errors occurred again. From my point of view the only common component and cause is the DD2 Wheel Base.

Today it happened again, thank God only at the end of an MP race. I then also took a look at the Fanatec and ACC logs. The following error I have found several times after problems in FW-Error.log files:

Endor FW Forcefeedback Driver

Build: Jun 2 2021 16:34:23

Call : 1/26/2022 16:18:27

SystemInfo PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (x64 - AMD or Intel)

OSVersionInfo Version Number = 10.0

OSVersionInfo Operating System =

OSVersionInfo CSD Version =

** FW-FFB Error tracing for C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Assetto Corsa Competizione\AC2\Binaries\Win64\AC2-Win64-Shipping.exe **

[START TRACE]

CFAWForceFeedback::DeviceID Failed! DIERR_DEVICENOTREG

[END TRACE]

There is quite a bit in the ACC log, but I could not see a specific reference.

Does anyone here have any ideas? If not, I will officially contact Fanatec support in the next few days.

Many thanks and best regards

Manfred

• Hi Manfred, at the end did you found the rootcause of this? I have the same thing since 2 weeks on Iracing. I loose the wheel for maybe 1 sec and then everything work again. As I am in VR I cannot see the wheel to see if something happen on the leds. Really frustrating when you kill races because of this... x)

• edited September 2022

So I think I solved it..

Been playing for a day so far and no problems.. PS5 uses a figure 8 power connector, so it's not earthed. The Podium F1 power brick is only two pin, but the connector does have a metal shield in the center for earthing on it, but does not actually connect to any earth terminal in my house plugs.

So essentially the wheel and PS5 together is not earthed, but they are "earthed" to one another as the USB plug outer housing itself is an earth connector, now pair that with a giant electromagnetic field inducing motor, and you get a recipe for gradual build up of charges in circuitry with short surges when the charge builds too much.

All I did was terminate the earth shield on the Fanatec plug to my house mains earth terminal, and confirmed by multimeter I only had around 1.0 Ohm of resistance between USB connector housing and my house earth, and it worked perfectly. Now my Fanatec is earthed and the PS5 is actually earthed too, through USB to Fanatec to mains.

Side note, if you have v3 pedals, it would be good to confirm you have the pedals earthed too, you can check this by measuring the resistance between one of the exposed metallic surfaces on the pedal frame and earth connector on your house mains, I get around 0.8-1.2 Ohms (basically zero) which confirms everything is properly earthed which will stop build up of residual charges.