Forza Motorsport 7 (Xbox One) - Fanatec Recommended Settings

Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
edited June 2019 in Forza Motorsport
General Notes:
- The settings below are considered to be reasonable baseline values for Forza Motorsport 7 (Xbox One). They might not suit all tastes and driving styles, but they are a good starting point. Bear in mind that Forza Motorsport 7 uses a dynamic physics engine covering a broad range of cars and tracks, meaning that these settings might not be 'optimal' for every possible driving scenario.

- These settinsg are intended for players who want the most realistic driving experience possible with their Fanatec hardware in this game.

- 'Dashboard view' is recommended, to avoid the distraction of the limited steering animation.

- 'Steering' and 'Damage & Tyre Wear' should be set to 'Simulation' in the Difficulty Menu.

- Developer Turn 10 Studios published a useful article about the new force feedback system introduced in the December 2018 update: https://support.forzamotorsport.net/hc/en-us/articles/360012736414-Wheel-Setup-and-Tuning

- Please ensure you are using the latest firmware for all Fanatec devices.

Podium Wheel Base DD1 / Podium Racing Wheel F1® PS4™

Tuning Menu Settings:
SEN 900
FF 50
SHO 100
ABS User Preference
NDP 30
NFR 5
BRF User Preference
FEI 100

In-Game Settings:
Steering Axis Deadzone Inside: 0
Steering Axis Deadzone Outside: 100
Vibration Scale: 10
Force Feedback Scale: 100
Aligning Torque Scale: 105
Mechanical Trail Scale: 100
Pneumatic Trail Scale: 120
Road Feel Scale: 45
Load Sensitivity: 65
Wheel Damper Scale: 15
Centre Spring Scale: 20
Dynamic Damper Behaviour: 75
Wheel Rotation Angle: 900
Steering Linearity: 50

Podium Wheel Base DD2

Tuning Menu Settings:
SEN 900
FF 50
SHO 100
ABS User Preference
NDP 30
NFR 5
BRF User Preference
FEI 100

In-Game Settings:

ClubSport Wheel Base V2

Tuning Menu Settings:
SEN 900
FF 100
SHO 100
ABS User Preference
BRF User Preference

In-Game Settings:
Aligning Torque Scale: 110
Wheel Damper Scale: 5
Centre Spring Scale: 15

ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5

Tuning Menu Settings:
SEN 900
FF 100
SHO 100
ABS User Preference
DRI -02
BRF User Preference
FEI 080

In-Game Settings:
Vibration Scale: 5
Road Feel Scale: 35
Load Sensitivity: 55
Wheel Damper Scale: 18
Dynamic Damper Behaviour: 60

CSL Elite Wheel Base

Tuning Menu Settings:
SEN 900
FF 100
SHO 100
ABS User Preference
DRI 003
BRF User Preference
FEI 80

In-Game Settings:
Wheel Damper Scale: 5

CSL Elite Wheel Base V1.1 / CSL Elite Wheel Base + / CSL Elite Racing Wheel PS4™

Tuning Menu Settings:
SEN 900
FF 100
SHO 100
ABS User Preference
DRI -03
BRF User Preference
FEI 080

In-Game Settings:
Vibration Scale: 5
Wheel Damper Scale: 18

Comments

• Hey guys, It is a really great idea to share some base tunes for the different games. But I believe nobody has really tested Forza on Xbox One as there is no option to set the wheel rotation angle above 900, and there is no feeling at all when I try your settings with my new PRW/DD1. So here my settings, maybe someone find it useful. It is just the first scratch and there is still some room for improvement ;) Setup: Xbox One X, Podium Racing Wheel, CSL McLaren Wheel, XBox Universal Hub, CSP V3, CSS 1.5, CSH Wheel base settings: Sensitivity: Auto Force Feedback: 40 Shock/Vibration: 100 ABS: user preference Natural Damper: 30 Natural Friction: 10 Brake Force: user preference FFB Intensity: 100 Game settings: Dead zones: user preference Vibration scale: 0 Force Feedback Scale: 100 Aligning Torque Scale: 90 Mechanical Trail Scale: 170 Pneumatic Trail Scale: 200 Road Feel Scale: 60 Load Sensitivity: 80 Wheel Damper Scale: 80 Centre Spring Scale: 40 Dynamic Damper Scale: 100 Wheel Rotation Angle: 900 (as 1080 is not possible to adjust, 900 is max) Steering Linearity: 50 As already mentioned, it is just a first attempt after some hours of tuning. Feedback is appreciated :)>- Cheers, Lars
  • edited April 2019
    Yes, I would agree that the settings have not been tested as not only can you not set the wheel rotation angle in game to 1080 but the whole feel using the Fanatec suggested settings is awful - so little feel. It is also true of the Forza Horizon 4 settings which are just as bad. I am using the CSL Elite PS4 with the McLaren wheel for Xbox One X games.

Thanks for your suggestions, Lars, although I don't have the same wheel I am going to give them a try.

CJ
  • Thanx Lars for posting your settings.

I tried the original suggested settings and they were useless. I literally had no FFB response at all. I got a number of 'road feel' sensations, but no resistance and no sensation of any tire grip or g-force.

I'll respond to the thread one I get your settings a try.

cheers
  • **UPDATE**

For anyone who's interested, I gave Lars' settings a try (listed above), and it made a night and day difference to the feel in comparison to the default recommended settings. I chose Clubsport 2.5 as a jump off point in Forza before entering the seetings and then went from there. I also made sure the Podium was in 'Comp 2.5' mode.

The wheel is still very very heavy, way too much damping. I'm not sure which type of damping requires changing though, wheel --> damping, natural damping, dynamic damping.... or Game damping --> wheel damper scale or dynamic damping.

However, I am at least starting to get some feeling of the feedback I expect when the car oversteers.
  • The OP has lost a lot of credibility with me and I hesitate trying and further recommended settings here. Like everyone else; the rotation angle is impossible to set and those settings are just awful. The wheel is very dull and lifeless, with little FFB strength at all. Feels like playing on a G920. 

Has anyone tried setting the global FFB above 100? I initially was led to believe that it led to clipping, but many Fanatec users are stating with the recent May update you should be running over 100 and setting in wheel FFB accordingly. I am going to try and report back. The telemetry readout in game will show if clipping is happening in race. 
  • Jeff SmithJeff Smith Member
    edited May 2019

From Forza Motorsport.net.  Go to the third post down, I've been using these settings and tweaking from there, and it's working very well.  Minimal oscillation unless you remove your hands from the wheel completely, and very good feedback on tire grip, etc.  FAR better than the weak recommended settings here. 

I'm on Xbox One X, have the CSL P1 wheel and CSL Elite base.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst142904p45_New-FFB-system-Dec-4th---tell-us-what-you-think.aspx

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Hi folks, thanks for your feedback. The values were clearly not correct - a data entry error on my part (the original mechanical and pneumatic trail values were supposed to say '120' rather than '20'). As for the '1080 degrees', this was copied from the PC version which can support 1080. I must admit '1080' still feels better to me for some cars, but I've adjusted both the Xbox One and PC versions to all say '900' now.

The settings were otherwise quite reasonable, but they have all been revisited and tweaked.

Load Sensitivity and Dynamic Damper Behaviour settings have also been added.

It should feel much better now! Apologies for the confusion.
  • edited May 2019
    Dom,

Thanks for the update. I think you might have not added a '0' to Wheel Damper and Centre Spring too. Possibly even vibration as with 5 you get no kerb effects. I set the latter to 30 though as I thought 50 was too much. For me also I wanted more Force Feedback so I set that to 120. Note also on the XBOX there is no option for Steering Axis Invert and you have Steering Linearity twice in the list. Finally I have reduced FEI to 50 which was the icing on the cake!!

I did my testing with a Honda modern Indy car at Spa and it is now feeling really good with yours and my changes.

So my settings are now:

CSL Elite F1 PS4™

Tuning Menu Settings:
    SEN 900
    FF 100
    SHO 100
    ABS 100
    DRI -03
    BRF User Preference
    FEI 050

In-Game Settings:

Vibration Scale: 30
    Force Feedback Scale: 120
    Wheel Damper Scale: 180
    Centre Spring Scale: 150
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    edited May 2019
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for pointing out the duplicate entries, they have been corrected.

As for your suggestions, these are my thoughts:

Values above 100 on the Force Feedback Scale can result in clipping (detail loss), so I would hesitate to raise that. Instead, raising the load sensitivity might help to give you some stronger output. As for the vibration slider, this adds quite a lot of 'noise' to the signal to enhance immersion rather than being a realistic FFB output, which is why we suggest to keep it low, as it detracts from the more important information. (The real kerb feedback generated by the physics comes through the FFB even with the vibration slider on zero.) Vibration on 30 is still a reasonable value of course, but this can cause more mechanical noise generation in our belt driven wheel bases (which could be why you were prompted to turn FEI down to 50). A lower vibration value and higher FEI as we suggest should provide a better balance of detail and smoothness.

The wheel damper and centre spring values are correct. Running at extremely high values as you suggest is definitely not recommended, as it essentially cancels out or dulls the important signals. The main reason for running high damper (in any game) is to reduce oscillation, but FM7 is actually pretty good at avoiding this, so it is not necessary. Bear in mind that you are already adding a separate damper by running Drift Mode at -3. Higher damping might feel more natural on initial turn-in (as it adds weight), but it makes the wheel extremely difficult to correct in situations where you have to fight against aligning torque, e.g. in the recovery phase of a slide.

High centre spring should not be necessary either - the simulation of Self Aligning Torque is all that is needed to create the feeling of the wheel centring itself. If you run it too high, you're effectively cancelling out SAT, which will make it more difficult to feel (and react to) rear traction loss.
  • Dom,
    Thanks very much. I will try out your suggestions. I was just pleased that the effect at the moment is so much better than any other set-up I have had for Forza 7.

Richard
  • Dom, 

Even this updated set up (wheelbase 1.1) just feels far too light. I am someone who attends many track days and have lapped of a multitude tracks in a variety of different cars, and I've never felt steering feel like this. In fact in all of my track cars the steering is quite heavy. You also get tons of road feel through the wheel. I could steer with my thumb and index finger on the wheel with this set up. Surely that's not as good as it gets for a close to $1,000 set up... The wheel feels great on F1 2018 I might add, so I'm not bashing the product. It just seems very hard to extract its full potential, on FM7 at least. But it seems like with all of the different setting options the game offers it should feel somewhat realistic. 

Has anyone found a good set of settings for the 1.1 wheelbase that doesn't just consist of ramping up all of the values? Could it be simply because I'm using the entry level wheelbase as opposed to the 2.5 or DD? 

Thanks!
  • I've got the earlier version and using the settings I posted above (May 16) from forzamotorsport.net I am able to get a nice heavy feel to the wheel, and good communication about understeer, etc. with minimal oscillation. 
  • Hey guys, It is a really great idea to share some base tunes for the different games. But I believe nobody has really tested Forza on Xbox One as there is no option to set the wheel rotation angle above 900, and there is no feeling at all when I try your settings with my new PRW/DD1. So here my settings, maybe someone find it useful. It is just the first scratch and there is still some room for improvement ;) Setup: Xbox One X, Podium Racing Wheel, CSL McLaren Wheel, XBox Universal Hub, CSP V3, CSS 1.5, CSH Wheel base settings: Sensitivity: Auto Force Feedback: 40 Shock/Vibration: 100 ABS: user preference Natural Damper: 30 Natural Friction: 10 Brake Force: user preference FFB Intensity: 100 Game settings: Dead zones: user preference Vibration scale: 0 Force Feedback Scale: 100 Aligning Torque Scale: 90 Mechanical Trail Scale: 170 Pneumatic Trail Scale: 200 Road Feel Scale: 60 Load Sensitivity: 80 Wheel Damper Scale: 80 Centre Spring Scale: 40 Dynamic Damper Scale: 100 Wheel Rotation Angle: 900 (as 1080 is not possible to adjust, 900 is max) Steering Linearity: 50 As already mentioned, it is just a first attempt after some hours of tuning. Feedback is appreciated :)>- Cheers, Lars
     dude it tried these after the rec. settings. and these settings are the best yet for my dd1. Have you updated them? would love to try them out. 
  • The recommended set up is very good for me, it was updated if I understand, and now I have a Well feeling with cars. It is still not perfect for me but great.

I also tried the Lars Joschko and it was good, a bit more "strong" for me.

In the end I use the recommended one for my DD2 and changed only in game following settings:

-pneumatic trail scale to 150 instead of 120

-centre Spring scale to 25 instead of 20

If it can helps someone... I still try to improve it for my feeling but that is good already !

• Does anyone have decent Xbox settings for CSL DD for FM7? Thanks!

• I would also like some settings for csl dd but it seems that nobody cares for now

• Here is my settings for CSL DD(8nm)

Tuning Menu Settings:

SEN 900

FF 100

SHO 100

NDP 38

NFR 5

ABS User Preference

BRF User Preference

FEI 100

In-Game Settings:

• Setting per DD pro con xboX ?

• Anything for GT DD PRO?

• Can we get some updated wheelbase and in-game settings for the CSL DD 5nm or 8nm? I tried the settings from one of the comments above, and there was almost zero force feedback. Thank you.