Formula V2.5 Bricked

I just recivied my steering wheel, when i pluged the wheel on the base on the fanatec property page prompted its a new firmware for the steering wheel, then i click update, when the update was starting promted an error: Error: Update image failed(No response packet from target device.). Update process is stopped by error. Then i restarted the base and now the wheel its recognized by the base as "CSL Steering Wheel P1 for Playstation 4".

I cant flash the firmware because the wheel its not reconigzed as "Formula V2.5". Now any buttons and display dont works an i dont know what to do.

Products: ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5

Platform: PC 

Comments

• Daniele CrudoDaniele Crudo Member
    edited April 2022

Hi, not a definitive answer, but it may help.

The fact that the wheel is not totally dead is quite a good sign.

I think it should be possible to manually flash the firmware.

You need the .hex file for your wheel and a software to manually load and flash that file.

I would open a ticket with fanatec, asking if it's possible to manually flash the firmware for a formula 2.5 wheel (write the right model), asking for the firmware file (.hex), asking for instructions to flash it.

I hope you will solve it.

PS: I tried to search on internet if I could find that firmware, but anyway I would not recommend this, only use firmwares from fanatec, as flashing other firmware may totally break devices.

Update: it should be definetely possible.

If you exctrat with uniextractor (for example) the fanatec msi driver x64 msi executable you will find a folder with firmwares and utilities:

You can notice 2 utilities that may be useful, the FanatecFirmwareManager.exe and the FwUsbSteeringWheelUpdater:

The firmware manager has a "Manual Firmware Update" checkbox:

Note that I have no fanatec product connected.

The FwUsbSteeringWheelUpdater:

Note that I have no fanatec product connected: I'm expecting fields to be populated once the device is attached.

In the first screenshot you will notice several .hex files: unfortunately they have names I cannot link to products, so I don't know which firmware is for the xx device.

Once you know or have the correct hex you could manually flash the firmware.

Note also that formula v2 and 2.5X should have the same firmware.

• Daniele CrudoDaniele Crudo Member
    edited April 2022

In the first screenshot you will notice several .hex files: unfortunately they have names I cannot link to products, so I don't know which firmware is for the xx device.

Update: maybe that once you install the msi driver package these .hex files are renamed to something that you can recognize.

Check folder X:\Program Files\Fanatec\.... to see if you can find the .hex file for your steering wheel.

• Hey Daniele thanks for the help, unfortunately i tried a manual flash for the wheel and tried every .hex in the folder and i cant flash it :(.

When i plug the wheel into the base im stuck on the third screenshot thatt you send.

i think that a tool for a hard flash would be help.

• Hi, sorry to read this, I would recommend to contact fanatec at this point if you fail to manual flash the firmware with their sw utilities.

---

Hard flash should be possible with a chip programmer or with a raspberry; the firmware is stored into a chip and with a programmer you can force flash the firmware you want.

In the picture below, of a pcb of a formula v2 rim the chip storing the firmware should be that highlighted in yellow:

And this is an example of a chip flash of a mini router (on the right) with a raspberry pi (on the left) I made some time ago with linux utility flashrom:

However, this is quite advanced, and you can damage your hardware, that is why I'm suggesting to contact fanatec in the first place.