Is necessary update DD2 for qr2

Hi friends

I'm thinking of buying dd2 now on black friday, but I'm curious... when fanatec releases the qr2, will I have to update my dd2 or is the update only on the steering wheel side?

I would not like to buy the dd2 and then it is not compatible with the new steering wheels

Thank you

Regards

Comments

• The DD2 will be compatible with the new QR2, so you don't need to worry about that.

• https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/21784/fanatec-and-bmw-motorsport-bring-virtual-and-real-world-racing-closer-together-than-ever

It´s 23 months since there was words about QR2 and still no one knows when it´s coming to markets.

When it´s coming it will be an option, not new standard.

• It will be compatible, but not without changes to the DD2, it will require some parts to be replaced by QR2 parts. Although it looks like you can do the changes your self. For sure it will not be a free upgrade. You will need to buy the Wheel base side QR2 parts + QR2's for all your steering wheels.

Waiting could be cheaper when they would release and create some DD2+QR2 bundles. But waiting could still be possible you are waiting till end of 2023 or even longer with the current development speeds of Fanatec. It's already taking them 2 years and still do not dare to mention any dates yet. While for some other developments with major electronic redesigns they are mentioning dates in 2023.

• thank you all for your answers

• What I dont under stand is they are using it in the race car already why are they not just selling it.

• That was all explained in a recent Blog post:

"QR2 - this is a fundamental change to the ecosystem and our opportunity to make major improvements to the quick release. While we (and BMW) are satisfied with our QR design currently being used on the M4 GT3 race car, it has been a challenge to bring this design to mass production for our full range of steering wheels and wheel bases (including a ‘Lite’ version for our CSL Series). The extended development time has ensured the best possible future for the Fanatec quick release. The latest pre-production samples are performing great, but we will only provide release dates and pricing information when we are ready." 

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/26839/podium-racing-wheel-f1-at-a-reduced-price-for-a-limited-time/p1

• William OtisWilliam Otis Member
    edited December 2022

Speaking of when they are ready, a pic of the base side QR2 is up on Simracing-pc's site.

Look at pics from the ADAC Sim Racing Expo 2022. Scroll down to Fanatec and take a gander.

For the lazy...

I have to say, I like it better than the golden prototype. If that is the final base side QR2, then I'm hopeful that the cost will not be astronomical. That gold color one had me scared. LOL

• That looks more like an unfinished prototype where the anodisation is not applied yet. But I think they used black in the past for this wheel base QR2 part.

On the photo's of the rally button module you still see the golden collar is used on the steering wheel QR.

• The collar is one the wheel, the base could be any color they want. I just thought the gold anodized look was gaudy, and the raw aluminum looks about in line with the current QR1.

• The pics from the sim racing expo have been updated. The wheel side is shown. Looks like the QR2 is straight forward. I take it this is the Podium version shown with the golden collar. It doesn't look like it will cost much more than the current QR1. Fingers crossed.

• William OtisWilliam Otis Member
    edited December 2022

Sorry to be doing the one man show thing. This has been posted elsewhere, but it gives as good of a view of the QR2 as it gets.

(3479) Fanatec QR2 different versions? + Bentley Wheel [Simracingexpo 2022] [english CC] - YouTube

Subtitled for English speakers.

I wish he showed the plastic version on camera. But according to him, the QR2 Lite is the same as the metal version, only made out of plastic.

After seeing this, I too would be surprised if the QR2 isn't in production.

• If the QR2 was already in production, Fanatec would have mentioned a rough release date. But they did not do that yet, not even a mention that it will be released some where in 2023. While for some reason they have mentioned a date for the Bentley wheel, which also was not good enough yet... They are apparently busy with pre-production of the QR2 but looks like they ran in to issues, making production difficult/not possible yet and based on no dates and pricing it's not easy to solve. If it was easy to solve they would possibly mention some release dates. But on the other hand, better that they make it work without issues then another product with design/manufacturing flaws.

Plus I guess it will not be a cheap upgrade, especially for people that already have something from Fanatec. You need to buy the wheel base side, which probably is going to be something like €199 or €249. Then for every steering wheel you have to buy a QR2, which will probably be more expensive as the current QR just to differentiate and maybe because more difficult to produce. So something like €129 or €149 does not sound strange. With 3 steering wheels it could be something like €700 or so. Very expensive for only a QR upgrade.

Quote from the blog a month or so ago:

QR2 - this is a fundamental change to the ecosystem and our opportunity to make major improvements to the quick release. While we (and BMW) are satisfied with our QR design currently being used on the M4 GT3 race car, it has been a challenge to bring this design to mass production for our full range of steering wheels and wheel bases (including a ‘Lite’ version for our CSL Series). The extended development time has ensured the best possible future for the Fanatec quick release. The latest pre-production samples are performing great, but we will only provide release dates and pricing information when we are ready. 

• I was hoping the qr2 update was going to bring less pins but fatter more robust ones too.

• It cant. The pins belong to the steering wheel, not to the QR. The QR is just an adapter which you attach basically AROUND the pins which come out of the steering wheel. So its not possible to go forr a different pin design - at least not without breaking compatibility with all exisiting steering wheels out there, which - of course - is no option when you have such a big ecosystem like Fanatec does where compatibility from old and new stuff is key.

• Maurice, if you are at any liberty to say, about how much data can the pins handle? And how does that compare to the average HUD one would get for Simhub?

• Okay, thanks for that explanation Maurice, I have always been hesitant to swap my wheels around regularly, worrying that I will bend or break a pin.