Does lowering FFB lowers all forces?

Hi! I have read a lot but I don't understand fully FFB setting. I have DD2. Does changing FFB effects all forces sent to wheel or it changes only max force allowed to output?

Meaning if game sends 10nm strong signal to wheelbase it will be outputted the same as 10nm if I have set ffb to 80% (20nm max) and 100% (25nm max)?

Because if I lower ffb it seems to me by the feel that everything is tuned down and I want to understand if my feelings are wrong or I don't get the whole concept of ffb.

If everything is tuned down then what is the math behind it (in my example)?

Thanks!

Comments

• If you lower FFB in the wheel settings all forces sent from the game are lowered proportionally.

• I add that setting ffb on wheelbase also limits the maximum force, increasing clipping. For example if you set fbb 50% on wheelbase and 100% in game is different than 100% on wheelbase and 50% in game.

In the first case, if the game sends 30 Nm, the steering wheel will halve the value but will only be able to reproduce half of the maximum value, i.e. 12.5 Nm, cutting out 2.5 Nm of torque.

In the second case it is the game itself that halves the value sent by the game, sending 15 Nm to the wheel which will be reproduced in full by wheelbase without clipping.

• So you are saying if base is set to 50% it proportionally reduce all incoming force? In Alessandro's example 30nm * 50% = 15nm and clipping 2,5nm

But then as I understand if you set DD1 to 100% it feel completely the same as DD2 set to 80%. When some one exchange configs then it is always said that if config is made for DD2 but you have DD1 then you just multiply FFB by 1,25 (1,25*80 = 100%).

In this 80% and 100% example:

If DD1 at 100% receives 30nm, 30nm*100%=30nm and it clips 10nm and you feel 20nm, but if DD2 at 80% receives 30nm then it scales it down (?) to 30nm * 80% = 24nm and clips 4 nm and yes on both bases you feel 20nm

But if input is in the limits of what base can output DD1 at 100% receives 10nm and it outputs 10nm and then if you guys are saying that it proportionally scaled down then if DD2 at 80% receives 10nm it scales it down 10nm*80%=8nm. So on one base you feel 10nm but on the other 8nm.

I don't think this is correct calculation, it is said that they should output identical force. Because of this I don't understand how it could be proportionally scaled.

• No it does not. In the first example I just wanted to highlight how it is preferable to use a high ffb on wheelbase and low in game, compatibly with safety of use.

Games don't send torque values ​​directly, but rather information to compose ffb.

Thus, trivializing the maximum, if a game at the same time with the same settings sends information to 3 motors, DD2 delivers 125% of the torque compared to DD1, while CSL DD only 40% of DD1.

• This question actually rise for me to fully understand clipping. So is it or is it not proportionally scaled down? If all forces are proportionally scaled down when lowering ffb on wheelbase then clipping is not affected by what ffb percentage is set on wheelbase - only by ingame gain?

Meaning if base can output 25nm it can not output stronger signal than 25nm and everything stronger just clipps. If base receives signal which it would interpret as 50nm then 50% of it would be clipped. If we lower wheelbase ffb by 50% then max output is 12,5nm and also all incoming force is proportionally scaled by 50% - that 50nm signal proportionally would scale to 25nm which means also 50% is clipped.

If this calculation is false then it is not proportional. So how it works?

• The base does not receive a signal in N m. The signal from the game would simply be full strength, half strength, 25% strength etc. So if you set your wheel base at anything other than full power, then these signals are scaled proportionally to the max force you have set.

Clipping is mainly caused by setting in game force too high. People often set in game FFB high to compensate for a wheel that lacks sterength and FFB headroom - but setting in game forces higher forces weaker signals to be bumped up to such an extent that there no room left for the higher signals to be bumped up proportionally - they all end up at 100%