CSL DD - Burning smell and overheating

Probably a dead base but worth asking if anyone was able to fix it via some kind of firmware flash.

Booted up ACC for the first time in a while and about 10 min in I started smelling burning and 2-3 seconds later the base just shut off. Disconnected the cables and the back plate near the power plug was really hot. Let it cool down completely and booted it up again, with the wheel just sitting idle it overheated and shut off within 2 minutes again.

Some key notes:

• I'm on the latest firmware (1.1.3.2 Base, 1.0.2.2 Motor)
  • I bought the boost kit separately so I've tried both the 5NM power supply and 8NM power supply and face the same issue
  • This one is weird: When the base is on it is extremely hard to turn even sitting idle, it's like it's constantly forcing max feedback even idle and burns itself out

Any thoughts? Pretty resigned this thing is just dead but thought it worth a shot. Submitted a ticket yesterday but it being the weekend I'm still waiting for a response.

Comments

• If you had a burning smell something is already damaged - electronics shouldn't smell of burning. It needs to be returned. Firmware cannot fix physical damage.

• Mine did the same thing but the base straight up smoked up. Still waiting for a response from fanatec support.

• Just happened to me as well. Was playing some ACC, suddenly i see smoke and smell burned electronics. Few seconds later it shut itself off and can't be turned on again.

Hope Fanatec will react quick on my support ticket. Such a shame, I just bought it about two weeks ago.

• Same here. Got it yesterday, got maybe 1 hour of play in when I got the burning smell. Now it will only turn on in firmware mode, and when it does, it stays on for 1 minute max before overheating and shutting off completely.

• David HertogDavid Hertog Member
    edited June 2022

Wanted to follow up here in fairness because I think Fanatec did a pretty good job of fixing this for me. I had a replacement in hand exactly 2 weeks after submitting the ticket. Timeline:

June 9 - submitted support ticket

June 13 - RMA number received (2 business days later)

June 14 - Received prepaid FedEx label

June 22 - Replacement shipped to me

June 23 - Replacement received

• edited July 2022

Hi David, same happened here. Installed Gran Turismo DD yesterday. Played one hour and already smelt like something burning. Thought because it was new. Today my son turned it on but after 5 min real burning smell and automatic switch off. Tried one hour later again, then it lasted for 2 min. Sent already a support request. Good to hear it was managed well on your side. Was there any additional info like photo’s or video requested on your case? And just curious if you don’t experience any issues with the new one you received?

• I’ve had the exact same issue as the above on my new order csl DD base, they responded on Monday asking more questions but I have not heard anything back since. Frustrating after waiting 6 weeks in silence for my order to arrive, I had 1 race with it and it started to stink of smoke and switched itself off.

• The most frustrating thing is that this issue is not uncommon. There are several threads on here with people suffering similar issues.

When you told support that your base smelled of smoke they should have immediately started an RMA.

One might argue that they should go further and stop sending these items out as they know that there is a recurrent issue that could in certain, not inconceivable, circumstances lead to a fire. It should be seen as a consumer safety issue.

I obviously don't know the percentage of bases that suffer from this issue but however small it's clear that the issue is a safety issue, a recurring one and not a one off. Products have been recalled for less.

• I agree I got my base this month and it's the same problem it's not smokey but wheel shuts off after 2 Mims and the back of the base is extremely hot like what the hell spent money cause fanatec was supposed to be good might switch to moza if they try to give me the run around.

• I just got my DD Pro with the boost kit today, and yep after 30 minutes of racing in Assetto Corsa, it began to smoke.

Definitely concerning to spend this much money on something so unreliable.

• GreetZ FolkZ ))

Had problem, with delivery... Been waiting about 2 weeks, before I called to UPS... "No, we don't have any orders to your name or address". And wualla... appeared next day like by the magic 😀

So... It's in use, about 6 weeks. Fortunately! My isn't smoking, but overheating... It's sooo damn killing me... I have as regular 28°C in my room. And wheel base after 1h nonstop driving rise up to 38°C (For example GT7 have Missions - 1h endurance runs). So in room it rise up to 32°C

Don't know, can you even imagine that, how uncomfortable and stuffy it gets to play. While PS gives it self a little heat as usually + wheel base... 1h, and you're all wet, like came out straight from the shower. Not quite cool to have bloody radiator right in front of you.

I've figured out how to reduce the heating, but not totally avoid it. Also it's a little dumb move. I've changed FFS from PEAK to LINEAR, which reduced my DD PRO 8Nm to 6Nm. That's why I've said dumb move... Coz what's the point of boost kit, if I can't normally use it...

• edited December 2023

Me too, i bought CSL DD with boost pack on 24 November received and installed on 8 December and it's already broken. My DD overheating and Switch off in game Like Assetto Corsa or not . I've already submitted ticket to support. Hope they will remplace like so many people in the same situation.

• edited December 2023

Same here, ordered 13 November, played about 20 hours. Then suddenly wheelbase powered off and burning smell of electronics. Also opened ticket and waiting for reply.... Just wanted to call the phone support - they disabled it because of high amounts of support tickets.

• The only way is to open ticket and wait, if you received a mail about your request it's ok. It took 2 days to get answer and RMA to return the WB. Then you have to wait next year, time to repair and ship the WB.

• Got my RMA and package will be on the way this morning. Hope it will be fixed within next week *fingerscrossed*

• Sorry to say you're dreaming ^^ Cause of Christmas and inventory they won't ship anything til 07 January 2024. I think we will have to wait 3 weeks minimum...

• Yes, probably you're right. It's really annoying, I've chosen a German manufacturer of Sim Racing because I thought this would be better quality & fast support. But I think times have changed.

• Idem, unfortunaltly Bad quality process + made in China and this is what happen...

• So 11 on this post! How many of us have received their DD After Rma process?

• Got my CSL DD back yesterday! Just tried a few laps - seems to work. I will report after some more hours of racing

• Ok that's a good point, have fun with your DD

• So as i said sooner i received a new one from RMA process this afternoon and after almost 4 hours of use he switched off himself like the old one but without this burned odor. Luckily after some mns of waiting i succed to start it again, hope this will stay like this.

I didn't touch any settings in games i use (AC/Forza Horizon 5) and in Fanatec Control panel the FFB is set on 100 % so 8 Nm. I just hope it won't burn again but i won't be surprised if it happen. My trust in Fanatec is unfortunatly lost.

• edited January 13

Anyway the new DD they sent me overheated too after less than 4 hours... And now switch off himself every 2 minutes.

• So all is ok with your DD ? How long do you play with it during a race session? Juste to know TY