CSL DD PRO first impressions from an older rookie

For many years, my favorite video games have been driving simulation games.

I have always played with a keyboard or video console controller.

When I was young I had a great time playing Grand Prix on PC.

I fondly remember being able to play two-player games with my best friend on a single computer. Since you couldn't split the screen and duplicate controls, the game would take control of one of the cars while the other was piloted by the player. Every so often we did a relay until the race was complete. Simply brilliant.

I've also had a great time with my ps1 and Colin McRae. Without triggers on the controller and with the levers acting as a steering wheel. Still the experience was fantastic.

I have to say that I also tried Gran Turismo then and although the graphics were fantastic, the sensation of speed was not as good as in the Colin McRae and of course, the consequences of going off the track in one or another game were not comparable.

I've always been a fan of console gaming and after a hiatus of many years I picked up a PS4 Pro and Gran Turismo Sport. The possibility of playing against other players in real time despite being miles away seemed very attractive to me. Also, the jump in graphics, dynamics and details has no description.

The inertial control of the controller, the improved vibration and the triggers to accelerate and brake... simply wonderful.

But of course, I wanted more immersion. Many fantastic videos of youtubers from all over the world, analyzing steering wheels, pedals, cockpits...

Logitech, Thrustmaster, Fanatec... doubts, doubts and more doubts... until Fanatec presents the CSL DD. A direct drive wheel at an affordable price. I thought I would finally take the plunge, but unfortunately it meant switching between consoles or going over to the PC side. And I was very happy running the daily Gran Turismo Sport races. Too many changes at once. So I waited a bit and how big was my surprise when Fanatec announced their collaboration with PlayStation. Shortly after the PlayStation version of the CSL DD was announced, the CSL DD PRO.

It was my moment. The decision was made.

CSL DD PRO Christmas Express (5nm), GT OMEGA TITAN cockpit, OMEGA ART TV mount, a 42-inch TV and my PS4 PRO.

The CSL DD PRO arrived on December 9, a week before the GT OMEGA.

All ready for Santa Claus. And on December 25 it arrived.

With the help of my son we used about 6 hours to have everything assembled, regulated and updated.

The truth is that the set was beautiful. It can even be said that it improves the appearance of the room. (Of course, I look at it with good eyes, ha ha ha).

Finally, after a long time, the moment of truth arrived...

...And I couldn't be happier. Mind you, nothing is perfect (but that for another day)

I had never played with a wheel before, so you can imagine the overwhelming sensations I experienced as soon as I got behind the controls of a GT3 in Dragon Trail.

I experimented with various categories of cars and tracks and the behavior of the steering wheel changed with each one. From my humble point of view, the most successful sensations came from the formula cars. Simply incredible.

Next I entered one of the most famous games, Assetto Corsa. Playing with the controller had been impossible for me... but with the CSL DD PRO everything was impressive. No detailed settings, just as everything was from startup. You can even feel the slip of the rear of the car when braking in curves. The FFB is much more powerful than in GTS. I was hallucinating in colors.

But, ah my dear friends...when I entered DIRT2...

Now that's an FFB... after driving the Subaru Impreza, the car of one of my youth idols, Colin McRae, all other games were left in the background.

I couldn't imagine that I would enjoy such a device so much.

From my novice point of view, the most accomplished FFB of these games is DIRT2. That doesn't stop him from continuing to enjoy the daily GTS races or driving historic racing cars in AC like a child. Each game has its attractions.

For a fan of cars and car racing video games, these current technologies are a dream come true.

Just tell you one more thing, with remote control or with a steering wheel, with a seat or with a cockpit...

...Drive and enjoy.

Comments