New Quickrelease - interchangeability & pricerange?

Florian LichtFlorian Licht Member
edited December 2020 in Steering Wheels

It was said that the new QR gonna be interchangeable with the current QR.

1) Are there any older steering wheels with a certain QR which are not interchangeable?

For example I have this older Fomula Black steering wheel and two Universalhubs.

2) pricerange, if it's possible, it's gonna get very expensive if you want to change that for 3 steering wheels xD ...so what pricerange can we expect (is it gonna be like the current QR)?

3) And last question: Are we gonna be forced to a new (Beta)driver? I stick with the V346 for the DD1, I'm happy with this one, but if we are forced to the newest driver with this QR it would be a reason to not buy it.

Comments

• 1) Older steerings without interchangeable QR are the BMW GT2, older Formula Clubsport Rim and Carbon variante, both Universial Hubs, P1 Wheels and Im unsure, but I think also the E Sports Rim

2) I think Fanatec knows that many will like to upgrade to the new QR system and maybe offer somekind of starter pack, but who knows at that point.

3) beta drivers imo, are way better than the driver you are using atm. You should definitely try the new stable driver 381 :) beta drivers will likely be happening again.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Florian,

We'll be providing all the details about the QR2 at a later date.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• 1) Aaah damn, I have the older Fanatec Black, so I guess I can't change it there... With the 2 Universalhubs it should work, but that doesn't matter then anyway. Thank you for the information.

Thanks, gonna take a look, but I guess I'm out because of my Formula black steering wheel ;(

• Psql .Psql . Member
    edited December 2020

The formula black has the same QR as the Universal hub. So if the Formula Black is not upgradeable your Universal Hubs will have the same problem.

In theory also most of the older wheels including the older Formula Black/Carbon and Universal Hubs have a changeable QR. The only problem with the older wheels you have to completely disassemble the wheel to be able to change the QR. This because the QR is tightened from the inside of the wheel instead of from the outside like on the newer wheels. But maybe even those will be upgradeable but we have to wait till Fanatec supplies more info on the new QR2.

The wheels that are really not upgradeable are probably the older plastic clamp QR’s like on the CSL P1 wheels.

• I would be so happy if that is possible, but from my Sherlock investigations I have this result:

Changeable Quickrelease: only listed for Podium Hub and Formula V2

All other Steeringwheels/Hubs doesn't have this listed.

When you take a look at the current changeable Quickrelease, they have a different shape, the older ones are completely round, while the newer ones have this oval D shape and different holes.

Would be a bummer if it's only possible to upgrade the Podium hub and the V2's.

• Psql .Psql . Member
    edited December 2020

The round QR is still mounted with screws. So you can also change the QR on the Formula Black. But you need to unscrew the screws from the inside and the wheel needs to be mostly disassembled for that. But It’s still possible to change the QR for a new one, but it will take more work to do that. That will be not as easy as on the Podium hub, Formula V2 and Mclaren wheel for example. Because there it’s only a few screws from the outside on the newer wheels.

So if Fanatec also makes a QR2 in the round style you could upgrade the QR or maybe Fanatec will offer a service to change the QR to the new QR2 on older wheels.

But again we need to wait for more information and details. Maybe even a lot more needs to be changed or none of the current wheels are suitable for the new QR because electric connection has been changed and is not backwards compatible.

• Florian LichtFlorian Licht Member
    edited December 2020

Somebody on Facebook asked the same and he got an answer from somebody from Fanatec:

Question: Will the new quick release be sold independently? / Can we change that on the DD1 and universalhub ?

Answer: The Podium QRs are exchangeable and pretty much every wheel since the McLaren have an exchange QR as well, I think it was pretty clear where this is going and should be even clearer now. Also when you look at the pictures of the back of the BMW wheel you can see that it's mounted to the wheel on the same way as on the Formula V2 and so on

Answer: ...on every wheel with an exchangeable QR. The old UHX, Formula, BMW or Porsche wheel don't have that but the WRC, McLaren, PHUB, Formula V2 have

But you're right. Let's wait and see, maybe there will be a workaround. Just wanted to speculate a little bit in this thread :)

But it doesn't look good, even with disassembly, these mountingholes from the new and current exchangeable QR are different compared to the original/older one.

• But that doesn't mean they can make 2 new version of the QR2 one for the older style and one for the new style.

In the end it's "just" a bit different machining on the steering wheel side.

• yes, let's wait and see what kind of surprise or no surpise they have for us :D

• edited December 2020

To my eyes from your drawing you enter, if you rotate the old by 90 degrees the hole pattern looks similar if not same. 🤔

• I highly doubt the new QR2 will be compatibel with the older non interchangeable wheels. But yeah, we have to wait for more info from Fanatec.

edited December 2020

So this is my final picture to this topic, everything older is not compatible or needs a different adapter version (which is highly unlikely to be produced).

My guess is the Podium Hub is gonna be sold as a seperate QR 2.0 version.

• Not really the QR is 95% the same measurements. Only the mounting hole pattern has a different diameter. This because the QR of older wheels are tightened from the inside. The hole pattern diameter could be made smaller. Because the newer wheels are tightened from the outside the hole pattern diameter needed to be bigger to be able to fit the screws on the outside.

There are 2 versions of the current QR, not really a reason to not have also 2 versions of the new QR2. In the end the QR is just a bit of aluminum. The only difference is the hole pattern diameter. They can make the same difference with the new QR2.

• I hope you are right, then I wouldn't have to throw the Unihubs and Formula black away, let's wait and see how this turns out :)

• edited December 2020

I had to open Universal Hub because QR screws were loosen inside the unit and there was rattle noise while driving, specially with games like DiRT Rally.

So yes it´s possible to unmount QR of Universal Hub but not so easy job what everyone could do.

Hardest part was circuit board, those 4 screws were really tight, I think those are glued.

But I´m not going to change it just because of new BMW GT3 wheel.

Someone wrote it was obvious, well I had no idea that only under year from purchace I must upgrade wheels that you can use those at future with DD-base.

I have also F1 V2, that one which came with Podium Racing Wheel F1.

I think there should be BIG notice at Fanatec web page, if you buy these wheels you maby have to spend xxx $ for new quick release after few months 🙄

I have zero problems with QR, I know someones have somekind of drift with it, but at least with my own DD1 there is not anykind of move (like Simracing Garage shows with their review) and it´s very tight.

If new part would offer somekind of benefit it could easier to spend extra money but now there is not any reason for that.

• That is true, and the Universal hub is one of the easiest to change the QR of. All the other wheels (Porsche 918, Formula Black/Carbon, BMW GT2 etc.) will be more difficult. But Fanatec could also offer a free/cheap service to replace the QR for you if you really want to upgrade to the new QR2 and you also have some older wheels.

But I also hope there will be a version of the new BMW GT3 with the current QR.

Then you have at least the choice which QR you want to use also with the new BMW GT3 wheel.

edited December 2020

I don't think you will get forced to upgrade to the QR 2.0, take a look at the back of the BMW wheel, it's possible to mount the standard (exchangeable) QR on it - maybe even Fanatec gonna offer a version with that, something like a Clubsport version.

Also wheel bases, like the CSW 2.5 and lower, probably wont be possible to upgrade to the QR 2.0 standard, so the normal QR is not outdated in any way.

Only older steering wheels and the Unihub are probably outdated if you want to upgrade them to the new QR2.0.

• Anyone care to comment on "Canbus" compatibility .... Just thinking if it can communicate with v2.x or this the PEBM issue all over again?? 😌

edited December 2020

I think therefore we really have to wait for more informations and what versions of the steering wheel and the QR are actually gonna be produced. I don't know anything about the canbus compatibility, but maybe somebody else here :)

• It just looks like it, because of my poor Paint skills :D

But there is definitely a bigger difference between the wholes. Also a 3rd Party site mentioned their adapter for the original QR doesn't work for the Mclaren wheel (which uses the newer QR), that's another proof for incompatibility with the older steering wheels and the UniHub.

• In order to enable CAN bus compatibility Fanatec are completely redesigning the firmware architecture. Whether they do this in a way that maintains compatibility with older wheelbases is yet to be announced. But I have my doubts. It's difficult to achieve progress when you are saddled by legacy products. See Exhibit 1 - the QR2.

Others will have their own opinions/hopes.

• Ok thank you, that answers also my question with the beta driver, the QR2 probably has it's own driver then.

I'm really looking forward to it, for the DD1 or 2 base it makes a lot of sense,

it's annoying to change the steering wheel because of the additional locking system, the QR2 looks so much better/easier.

Maybe even broken pins shouldn't be a thing any more with that?

You don't have that problem with the older wheelbases, because there you are using the QR without any additional unscrewing,

an upgrade wouldn't make much sense for that.

Only if you want the BMW Steering wheel and they don't offer it with a QR1 option.

• edited December 2020

I would suggest to have a look at Kronotec quick release examples.

fanarecs qr2 looks similar so maybe it will answer some of our questions before the release of info from fanatec...

I am actually using the above system in my TCR and simply cannot go wrong. 🤣🤣

But is it freaking expensive as a part.

So let us wait and see what Fanatec will introduce for us. 😇

EDIT: Electronics etc are within the wheel itself... On QR’s you will notice only the plugs. So dont need a software for the QR.

• Thanks for sharing, very interesting, yeah the price is huge, the Krontec sells for 400Euro on ebay xD

The Fanatec QR 2 looks pretty similar to the Krontec, probably has the same mechanism.

Broken pins and any flex should be a thing of the past with this QR version.

Damn, I can't wait to get more informations :D

edited December 2020

I can't change the original first post, so I wanted to mention that the official Beta driver (for DD1) is really awesome.

I just had one wrong setting, now I wouldn't go back to any older driver, point 3 should be ignored :D

One thing that I took a closer look at is the length of the new QR.

It looks almost identical, there shouldn't be any big difference, which is a good thing imo :)

Still a little bit sad that there aren't any infos about the new Quickrelease, looking forward to next year, can't wait to upgrade :)

• Why not sell all new wheels with a choice of QR1 or QR2. Many people have fanatec wheels and don't want to fork out more money just to make their existing wheels compatible with this new QR2. What can the QR2 do that the QR1 has done for years.