Can I upgrade my consoles keeping my Porsche 911 GT2 wheels

I didn't use my 2 Porsche Wheels (including high end pedals en gear box/shifters) for a long time and didn't follow the discussions and new releases of Fanatec Wheels. But now I want to start again. Please inform me (I couldn't find this information) if my Porsche wheels only work with my old Xbox One and PS 3 gameconsoles. It is old school but for me still a lot of fun my setup.

Are my wheels compatibel with the X Box X series and/or the PS 4 (pro)?

I don't like to sell my Porsche Wheels😡 (and shifters and pedals). Thx a lot Any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• Not compatible to XBOX one/Series X/s nor PS4/5, your GT2 wheel is only compatible to XBOX 360, PS3 and PC.

• Gregg DomainGregg Domain Member
    edited June 2021

Not by itself, no. But OP may want to look into purchasing a DriveHub. For those unaware, it's a very small device made by a company called Collective Minds that you can plug virtually any set of wheels/ pedals/ shifters into and have it be compatible with Xbox or Playstation.

I have an old Porsche 911 GT2 wheel and Clubsport v1 pedals (which I originally purchased for my Xbox 360 back in 2011), and by connecting it all through DriveHub, it "tricks" the console (in my case, an Xbox One) into thinking it's an Xbox One-native device, and for the most part, everything works great.

The device costs about $90 USD last I checked, which admittedly isn't cheap, but compared to the cost of buying all new kit, it's really quite a bargain especially if you're happy with your current setup.

(I can't speak to how well the DriveHub will work with XSX or PS5 consoles - or even whether or not it will work at all - as I don't own either.)

• The official Collective Minds site is a bit of a mess, and true, there is no mention of Series X or PS5 compatibility. But a quick search on YouTube shows some people have tried it out, and have had some success.

• Thanks a lot ! It is not a shock but nice to have a confirmation. I will study the Drivehub solution. I am nevertheless disappointed that there is no backward compatibility or another (firmware?) solution in order to use my wheels with the next gen consoles.

Can anybody give me an advice which Steering Wheel (in case I want to switch to the new consoles) is more or less a successor of my Porsche GTS and works on both platforms ? Can I keep my all metal Clubsport pedal set and Clubsport Gearbox from Fanatec with the new Steering Wheel and Consoles (XboxX en PS 4)

thanks.

• There are new Porsche-branded wheels available, such as this:

Or you could go for something non Porsche and without the Advanced Button Module for a little cheaper:

If budget is a concern, your two cheapest options are the WRC wheel (if you want something round) or the McLaren GT3 V2 if you are interested in more of a formula-style rim. Both retail for $200 USD.

The thing to remember is that unlike your older Porsche wheels where the wheel and wheelbase were all one unit, everything now is modular. That being the case, whichever wheel you go with, if that's the direction you do decide to take, you'll need a wheelbase to mount your wheel to. The CSL DD is most likely what you'll want, unless you're looking to spend upwards of $1000 on Fanatec's DD1 or DD2 wheelbases.

Regarding your existing pedals, take a look at the type of connection they use. If they connect to your current wheelbase using an RJ12 connection (kind of looks like an ethernet or a phone connector), then you should be good to go when connecting them to a new CSL DD. If they connect to your current wheel using a PS/2 connection, then you'll need something like this:

One thing to note, this cable is not currently available in the Fanatec US webshop (not sure if that matters to you, depending on where you are in the world) . Fanatec Support seemed to indicate that more would be incoming at some point, but it's unclear when that might be.

Hopefully that helps to clear some things up for you.

• Also, I forgot you said that you need Playstation compatibility as well. In that case you'll probably want to hold off buying the CSL DD, which is currently only Xbox/ PC compatible. Fanatec have stated there will be a PS version coming sometime in the future, but so far there's no indication of when.

Basically, the thing to remember with Fanatec stuff is that PS compatibility is achieved through a chip in the wheelbase, whereas Xbox compatibility is achieved through a chip in the wheel. So in your case you'd want to buy a base with PS compatibility, and a wheel with Xbox compatibility. Attach them together, and you'll be able to play on either platform you choose (and PC, of course).

• Erez BErez B Member

As an owner of a Drivehub on XBOX...

I have XBOX Series X with an old Fanatec CSR wheel and CSL elite Pedals (both purchased in 2011...) and a TH8 Thrustmaster shifter, and they are all working great using the Drivehub solution.

The Pedals are hooked directly to the wheel, the wheel and TH8 are connected to the Drivehub and the Drivehub itself connects to XBOX controller and directly to the XBOX. It is a perfect solution.

I have just upgraded to the CSW V3 pedals (not in my hands yet...), the CSL-DD (to arrive in 3 months time hopefully) and I can't decide about the wheel. I want to purchase the Formula V2 rim but the functionality on XBOX systems is very limited (no Rev lights or any other lights, no handle vibration I think as well, etc). I also know that the rumble on the pedals will not work on XBOX. I do not think that Drivehub will solve these problems (as the REV lights on the Drivehub itself do no work when I play the XBOX).

Last but not least, I have to say, that pedals and a wheel that work for more than 10 years now is quite an achievement for Fanatec. Never thought it would work that long.

• Agreed, Drivehub has allowed me to get 10 years of use out of my Porsche 911 GT2 wheel and Clubsport v1 pedals, between the X360 and Xbox One. (Haven't upgraded to a Series X yet, that's probably another year or so down the road for me.)

As much as I've enjoyed the DriveHub, it's not a perfect setup though:

1) I've never been able to get the clutch pedal working properly for some reason, even though when I connect the pedals directly to a laptop, the driver software shows everything working properly. I'm happy to drive with just the paddle shifters though, so this isn't a huge deal for me.

2) Whether or not a game delivers FFB is not always a given. Most games work, and feel great e.g. F1 20xx, Dirt 4, Dirt Rally 2.0, Project Cars 1 & 2, Assetto Corsa, Forza Motorsport 7, and some others. But other games I've tried like the WRC series, ACC, Wreckfest, and Forza Horizon 4 either have no FFB at all... or there is *some* FFB, but it's erratic and feels incorrect, making the game unplayable.

I've been able to get around these limitations by either playing with a gamepad, or in some cases by simply not playing the game. Like I said, it's not perfect, but $90 to be able to continue playing the majority of the games i love so that I can wait and upgrade my kit when *I'm* ready and not when MS tells me that I need to? Money well spent, for sure.

Really the only reason I'm upgrading now to a CSL DD and McLaren rim is because, after 10 years of use, the shifters on my current wheel have started to behave inconsistently, not always reacting when I pull (or sometimes shifting twice with one pull...great way to blow an engine on an attempted downshift!) I also think the internal fan is getting ready to let go, as the unit's been making some funky sounds the past few months.

But my Clubsport v1 pedals are still working like a champ, and I plan to keep using them with the CSL DD once it arrives.

September can't get here soon enough. 😫😁

• Erez BErez B Member

Interesting. I play only F12019, Forza, Assetto and indeed no issues.

I have no problem with the clutch pedal though. It works great with the Drivehub.

• I understand that you cannot use the wireless functionality of the PS3 and Porsche 911 wheels anymore when using the DriveHub?

Where you can order this?

thx a lot!

• Drivehub is very much *not* wireless. I've only used it with Xbox One, but I assume PS is similar. All via USB, you plug your wheel into the Drivehub, along with a standard gamepad, and then plug the Drivehub itself into your console. (The gamepad apparently has some sort of peripheral ID which Drivehub spoofs to trick the console into thinking your wheel is a standard controller).

https://collectiveminds.ca/shop/allconsoles/drivehub/