CSL Elite WRC Already broken after a couple hours

Just got my CSL DD and wheel last night, spent maybe 3 hours playing it.

Out of nowhere during Dirt rally 2 the wheel just disconnects, power light starts changing colors, and the firmware update just loops

I have done everything I can, no bolts are lose, no pins are bent, it just refuses to be detected as soon as the wheel is connected

I waited months for this thing and it breaks almost instantly on its own, its pretty unacceptable.

Does anyone have any tips or a firmware I can manually flash?

I already put in a support ticket, but when the time for a response is longer than the lifespan of the product I'm heavily leaning towards refunding the whole thing and just sticking to my g27 or buying something from another company and never looking back.

Comments

• Hey Tyler, I feel your pain. I'm beginning to loose my patience too.

I had the shaft disconnect on day one, support suggested to try re-installing it or an RMA.

Weeks later playing (Forza 5) on Win 10-64 I'm getting flashing lights on the WRX rim, cycling red, blue and green lights on the CSLDD Hub and an repeating update firmware message for the WRX rim.

Fanalab doesn't recognize the Rim or Hub. I was running V415 software. I think.

Let's hope support or someone on the forum can resolve this issue.

• Yep exactly my problem.

I'm hoping it's just a simple firmware bug.

My wheel also still lights up green or red if I touch it after the firmware thing pops up. The actual motor seems perfect if I don't attach anything.

I found another thread for one of the BMW wheels doing the same thing, but for them their other 2 wheels were fine, and their wheel was apparently damaged so it was replaced.

I hope it's simple but im betting it's a quality problem due to shortages and they are more worried about just shipping products and not caring about testing them first

• I tried holding the power button for 8 seconds in order to boot into bootloader mode. And attempted to update the firmware via the Firmware Update Assistant. It didn't work and I'm feeling like an unpaid Beta Tester.

• Check if your QR on the base is fully seated on the axle. You will probably also get that mention from Support after they reply.

Check below comment from another topic.

• Well damn that fixed it. I cannot thank you enough.

It's hard to believe it managed to come lose considering the amount of force I had to use to remove the bolt in the clamp.

I'm going to continue testing it and see how long it lasts but I really hope that's all it was

• Best of luck. I had a similar issue with my base&wheel, and the reseating and re-tightening of the shaft worked for me the first time I tried it, for about 2 days. Then it happened again, and the fix worked for about 10 minutes before it happened again, at which point the wheel then became totally unresponsive and nothing I tried had any effect. Both wheel and base are currently being RMA'd. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.

• Just FYI. I resolved the ongoing issue of the shaft becoming loosened, but before doing so I sent tech support an email with my problems. I got the patented response (below) instead of offering a quick fix for a known issue.

Before I forward your message to our technical support department, please provide me with a little more information: -The names of all affected products -A more detailed description of the issue.  -Photo or video material of the problem, if available. Please make sure your products are registered in your Fanatec account. 

• It's still a corporation no matter what, just a helpdesk going through these incidents.

My issue is after another session today, I already notice a gap forming on the shaft. I feel like this is a design oversight, a true locking mechanism would have been much better then a slip on and clamp.

It's still working, but I get the feeling this will be a regular maintenance

• Carl MarinoffCarl Marinoff Member
    edited January 2022

• https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/24817/mclaren-gt3-v2-csldd-died#latest

I've read on the forum that a member has returned their CSLDD for a similar disconnect issue.

I'm just trying to save someone from having to disassemble, repackage and from having to ship their wheel for no reason.

Last month when I experienced my first instance of a disconnect tech support suggested the following:

1) Detaching the wheel

2) Reflashing the wheel base firmware

3) Restarting the base

4) Attaching the steering wheel back

In case the issue occurs again, I would suggest to have the wheel checked in our workshop.

On the second instance tech support said:

Dear Fanatec customer, Thank you for your support request.

A support agent will get back to you within seven days.

We would suggest to initiate a Repair RMA and have your CSL Elite WRC steering wheel checked in our workshop. Our technician will check it for material or production issues and repair it for you. Once the RMA is created, you will receive an email from our sales team which will contain more information about the shipping process. Please let me know if you wish to proceed and have the wheel checked in our workshop.

• On the third instance tech support says: It is possible that the wheel base hub came loose a bit and causes unsteady contact. Please try the following: - Loosen the black clamp on the wheel base hub and remove the hub from the wheel base.- Reinsert the hub completely and tighten the clamp. Please make sure that the clamp is really tight, otherwise the hub could loosen again.

• Might help if you sit closer to the wheel. Elbows bent at 90deg when holding the wheel. You must be pulling the wheel in some instances.