GT7 DD Pro 8nm - Clipping at every turn

Kring JanglesKring Jangles Member
edited March 2022 in Gran Turismo

I followed the recommended GT7 DD Pro settings but I find in every turn I loose FFB especially when taking it at high speed. The feel is that everything gets instantly smooth yet there is still resistance to the steering wheel. It’s just void of all ground feel, skid feel; it comes back if I slow or ease off the throttle. At first I thought it was over steering and going into a slide, but I still have tons of grip in the game. Next I thought it was clipping so I turned down in game FFB from reccomended 5 to 2 and I still get it. It’s on every car, every track. I played around withe sensitivity but that didn’t change much.

I would expect to continuously feel the road, skidding, bumps, etc… But there is a very clear point during a turn where it goes from road feel to perfectly smooth resistance.

I havn’t noticed this in WRC, Rally 2.0 or when connected to the PC.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• I think GT just doesn't have that many details

• This is normal. It is how they designed the FFB.

• Interesting topic!

When that "clipping" sensation occurs, you're sliding. With some cars a bit of sliding might be beneficial in some situations, especially without tyre wear, but you're not supposed to be sliding all the time. Stay on that edge right before and use the throttle/brake to steer instead.

This turning of the wheel to much is also why people complain of "snap oversteer".

Stick to 1 in FFB sensitivity.

I was A+ in GT Sport and love GT7 without assists (ABS only). The FFB language and physics are wildly different though (better).

• Thanks for the detailed explanation Hugo. So they use that dropout of detail to signal sliding, It makes sense and I’ll give it a try keeping closer to edge of the feedback zone. It seems a tad bit early because there is still plenty of good traction and ability to turn more (with success) when in that clipped state. I also don't hear any tire squealing which I was expecting. GTS seemed to be a bit closer to what I would expect on where the skid & squeal happen. Overall the FFB is great, lots of good detail too. I’ll revert back to 1 on sensitivity and recommended settings. I must say the graphics, ease of play and navigation are exceptional on this game.

• It would be interesting to hear what you think after some more experimenting.

The tyre squeal is totally different in GT7 compared to GTS. In GTS a lot of tyre squeal meant you had optimal slip angle and grip. When it really scream stupid much, then you're in trouble. In GT7 the slightest tyre squeal means you're in trouble if you're not extremely careful. You can also increase tyre squeal by +5dB to hear it more clearly.

If you use INT value of 5 or lower (I use 1), you can feel some rough sandy sensations in the wheel when you got grip while turning, besides the bumpiness and twitchiness. Stay on the edge right before that sandy/gravelly feeling disappears and the wheel becomes smooth.

• I think I’m having the same issue as you. In high load corners, my wheel goes totally light. Can’t feel anything. I think it’s related to the plastic quick release somehow. I did the scotch tape fix I read about on the internets, and it worked like a charm for 5 days. Great FFB and the wheel never went light during high load situations. Now, it’s back

I play GT7, and use Fanatec’s recommended settings. Haven’t tested this out in any other game yet. I’m just really bummed at this point

• Just to add same issue for me. Its really annoying. I don't think its slipping, for example in Spa during blanchimont most of the force feedback goes but I'm definitely not sliding. It's so bad I honestly felt like something is going wrong in the wheel. I think Maurice has it right that its just how they designed it but it's really distracting to loose the feel so suddenly with no real reason for it.

What is a shame is that when they released v1.15 and I had to change settings it was much less noticeable. I feel like this could be massively improved in GT7.