CSL Universal Hub

Recently got my fanatec Clubsport universal csl Hub 2 days ago when suddenly the up shift paddle started registering only about 1/3 of inputs. So as a result there would be a lot of miss shifts which is very frustrating, after researching I found this to be a common issue with the cheaper wheel hub options provided by fanatec and the plastic design.

Further investigation in to my possible solutions I found I would likely be estimated a 1 month wait to send the product in and get some sort of fix/replacement. So once I realized the wait I figured I might as well try to fix it myself since some people replace the paddles in other videos/instances to get a different shift feeling but not to solve the issue present in my case. Upon taking apart the universal hub I noticed each paddle having a spring, the only quick fix I could think of was to slightly stretch the spring to make it slightly longer in order to cause more resistance to when you click the paddles in. there's a fair amount of screws but once you do this to whichever side has the issue or to both putting it back together after stretching the springs a small amount this seemed to solve the problem without ruining the hub itself and not necessarily voiding the warranty(free of charge). Not the best option but it is a very good solution in my option when compared to none others found on the internet. This is more a last resort but you could also try the magnetic paddle mod for 30 dollars which may help resolve this.

1st option (free): stretch springs slightly in contact with paddles by taking hub apart (look below for a helpful video to disassemble hub)

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKIq_NppoOY&t=275s

Link to optional fix paddles: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1212606688/magnetic-shifter-kit-for-fanatec-csl?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=csl+universal+hub+paddles&ref=sr_gallery-1-6&organic_search_click=1

Comments

• I use it in combination with the Fanatec Classic rim (350mm) also for trucking and I'm quite happy with it.

Granted, quality is not close to the Clubsport Universal Hub (that I also own), specially the shifters. But due to the slow pace of trucking/farming I think it's less of an issue.

• edited September 2022

I am experiencing the same issue with the downshift paddle... after maybe 6 hours of use! Very disappointed in Fanatec and probably won't ever buy this brand again. Being the cheapest model doesn't mean so affordable... there should be a minimum of quality. I wish I could read the forum before I get into Fanatec for my simracing kit. Thinking about getting rid of everything, can't stand mediocracy. Anything made in China would have been better at this point. Proudly made in the USA, huh?