McLaren GT3 V2 lacks full functions when using the GT DD Pro wheelbase, but fine on CSL Elite

I have both the CSL Elite and the GT DD Pro wheelbases and a McLaren GT3 wheel, all of which have had their firmware updated to the latest version. I've noticed that while using the GT DD Pro wheelbase, NONE of the games take advantage of the wheel's screen to display speed/gear etc, AND that none of the rotary encoders, extra paddles, toggles or many other buttons cannot be mapped in the game. (playing on PS4 and Series S) However, when the same wheel is attached to the CSL Elite, the same games, and played on the same systems, I get full access to ALL of the wheel's extra buttons, paddles, toggles, and rotary encoders, and the games take advantage of the wheel's screen to display data.

Is the price we have to pay to use a direct drive wheelbase, the loss of most of the wheel's functions?? In order to take advantage of its full feature set, should we have to use the older, "less capable" CSL Elite wheelbase?

can this not be fixed with another firmware update....?? I thought I was "upgrading" my rig with a direct drive wheelbase, now I'm not convinced that's the case. any thoughts? am I stuck with using the old wheelbase.... really??

Comments

• That's because you need to use the compatibility mode for most older games to get the screen working on playstation. On Xbox it's not working at all on any base.

• that's weird, (and a little disappointing) considering the McLaren V2 is an "Xbox ready" wheel... I really hope there's an update either in Fanatec or Microsoft's future that gives us proper functionality. I really miss being able to use ALL my wheel's buttons in Assetto Corsa Competizione, considering I've got them ALL mapped in ACC on the PS4.

regardless, thanks for the info, Maurice.

• Is this problem only on consoles? I hope? Was thinking about getting that wheel for my GT DD Pro, I only use PC and PS5.

• I got my McLaren wheel this week and am using it with a DD Pro on PS5 & GT7 (not tried ACC yet) and it works great.

Don't know if you play GT7 but even though you can't map the toggle switches they work the MFD and with the multi position switch set to 4 I can use the analogue paddles to look left and right. Really happy with it.

• Yes, Brett, this is just an issue on the consoles. Unfortunately I dont have a gaming PC right now but hope to get one once this crazy chip shortage/GPU situation gets back to normal.

Once I put the GT DD wheelbase into "PS Compatibility mode", it works perfectly normally, using all the buttons, switches, paddles and the display in ACC on PS4. (BTW, the FFB on the PS4 version of ACC is MUCH better than it is on the Xbox version. That's unfortunate b/c now I have to choose between full wheel functions and better FFB on the PS4, -OR- 60fps, higher AI car count, and much better camera options on the Series S)

It now only lacks full functionality on my Xbox Series S. :/ I was hoping that updating the firmware would help, but nope. It definitely seems like something that could be patched in the future... I hope.

• Hi,

I don’t have the McLaren GT3 wheel, I have a Forrmula V2.5x that I’ve used along ps4 and csl elite wheelbase (ps version) and with ACC I can map all the buttons, I mean all but the 3 dedicated ones (PS button, share and options).

Display works for speed in ACC and speed and gear in GT SPORT, led flags were already mapped perfectly with green blue white yellow flag and the red for abs .

Same behaviour with the DD Pro and ACC on ps5 upgraded version, and GT 7 where I use the bundled gt wheel .

All in blue mode, I did not switch to compatibility, it works same way, only yesterday while the selecting a ‘blank’ setup on the tuning menuI had to set the MPS mode to Pulse instead of AUTO (default).

I did not tested yet with Series X because I play the last Horizon with the controller, I do not feel the need to use a wheel... for sure with the upcoming Motorsport.

Not sure if it’s something specific of the Mc Laren wheel though ... I remember using it also with PC2 ...

Ciao!

• I forgot ... the limitations using Xbox are well known around the ‘community’ ... it’s years that is like that I mean.

Ciaooo!

• It's been a longstanding issue that input devices on the Xbox platform, Fanatec input devices in particular, do not have full functionality. Basically, anything that does not directly correlate to a standard Xbox gamepad input (ABXY, LB, RT, etc) serves as either a duplicate function, or has no function at all.

For example, IIRC (as it's been a while since I've played on Xbox, I've since switched to PC mainly due to this very reason) on the McLaren GT3 v2 wheel, the toggle switches are duplicates of LT/RT (same as your pedals), and can't be assigned a different function. Try to remap them, and your pedals change function too. The rotary encoders have no function whatsoever. Similar stories with the other non-standard inputs. The LED only shows immediately after you power the wheel on, otherwise it's useless and remains blank, as the Xbox is incapable of displaying any telemetry on current Fanatec products. It's much the same story with any Xbox-compatible wheel that Fanatec offer.

Some will tell you it's Microsoft's problem, that they need to "open up" the Xbox OS to allow for such things. But there are several examples of other companies (Logitech and Thrustmaster in particular) who have seemingly found ways around such Xbox limitations and offer products with dials and other non-standard inputs, LED displays, etc that all seem to work just fine on the Xbox platform.

Latest indications seem to be that both Microsoft and Fanatec are aware of the situation, and are working toward some sort of solution. No firm dates have been given, but a time frame has been mentioned of somewhere around the release of the new Forza Motorsport game (so, presumably some time this Fall season).

Though, considering the number of years that this has been an issue, and the obvious apathy displayed by both sides in coming to any kind of a swift, satisfactory resolution, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

• wow. very informative, Greg, thanks. Agreed, hopefully by the time the new Forza Motorsport drops, MS and Fanatec will have resolved it. The difference between the ACC experience on the Playstation vs the Xbox is probably a big reason for the huge difference in the multiplayer situation... there's still a pretty decent multiplayer base (for a console) for ACC on the PLaystation, but the multiplayer is all but DEAD on the Xbox. It's no wonder that platform struggles to get updates and support. I feel like the sole ACC player on Xbox sometimes.

• I thought the Series S would be a step up from playing ACC on the PS4 Pro; as it turns out, I took 2 steps up and 3 steps back. typical. :/ It would seem that the Series S is the 4th best way to play ACC, far behind PC, then PS5, and Series X. Oh well, ONE DAY maybe I'll get my hands on some of the "good stuff" and be able to properly play my favorite game. Until then, the wheels of the struggle bus go round and round