GT7 wheel worth it?

Currently I am using the  McLaren V2 and the WRC Wheel on the DDPro 8nm for GT7. I am on PlayStation and Xbox

Is it worth to purchase the GT7 wheel for GT7? What would be the benefits besides the LED lights and more buttons?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

Comments

• I think the question you need to ask is why is everyone selling the GT7 Wheel?

I think they are upgrading their wheels to something better or for the style of wheel that they want.

I started off with the ClubSport Steering Wheel RS with the DD Pro as no bundles were available at the time that I purchased, since then I have purchased the ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5. I have had no issues using these wheels with GT7, and both are equally good.

Personally I would not buy the GT7 Wheel as both the Wheels I have give me exactly what I need.

Im assuming the McLaren V2 and the WRC Wheel are just as good as my wheels on GT7.

• Stick with what you have, the GT wheel isn't the best. I don't do any rally stuff in GT7 so use the McLaren wheel all the time.

• Hi Lars. I am considering getting only the WRC wheel to start with the GT DD Pro wheelbase. I know you have the Mclaren wheel for the GT/open cockpit racing but do you think the WRC wheel will still be good enough for the GT racing. I don't plan to get another wheel for a while at least

• Thanks for your feedback. It helped to make up my mind. In the future I will throw my money at something which will bring more value to my setup like the H-Pattern shifter.

• Short answer: Yes, I think the WRC wheel will work for GT racing.

And to make it clear I really do enjoy both wheels.

I started the other way round, McLaren wheel for F1 and GT racing. Then I started with Dirt Rally 2 and bought the WRC wheel. Because Rally with an GT wheel felt awful for me.

You may want to consider what kind of cars you want to drive in the future. I think a round wheel is the more versatile option.

You might also consider if you get any value out of the additional “features” of the McLaren wheel: second analogue pedals and rotary buttons. Especially the rotary button are system specific. They do not work on Xbox (at least currently) and I could not figure out, if they work on PlayStation (but I only use GT7 here).

• If you don't have XBox compatibility needs, I don't recommend the WRC racing wheel. Perhaps for a real car, even a racing one, Alcantara could be fine, due to its limited use. However in simracing you will use your wheel every day, for several hours. The Alcantara will tend to get damaged, and the seams to tear and open. But the real problem is the lack of grip. It doesn't matter if you use gloves, you will always have the feeling that the steering wheel is slipping in your hands. Compared to the McLaren V2 I own, the FFB is way worse, feel-wise.

After only a year of use, my WRC already looked like a wreck, so I replaced it with a cheap rubber P1 V2. It is definitely better, precisely because of the increased grip, and provides a better FFB, even compared to the McLaren V2. An excellent purchase.

• It sounds like you're saying that Alcantara, by its very nature, has a lack of grip and is therefore inferior to other materials (e.g. rubber). Sorry, but I have to disagree with this. I owned and used a (now very old) Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 wheelbase which had an Alcantara wheel. I loved it. Wore gloves, never had a problem with the surface becoming damaged or tearing. Of course, this is not to say that such things are not possible with the WRC wheel...I don't know since I don't own one, and will of course take your word regarding your experience with yours.

That being said, I love my McLaren V2 which I currently use. The rubber grips are fine. I can't say that I miss the Alcantara, but I also wouldn't NOT buy a wheel just because it was Alcantara and not rubber or leather, or vice-versa. But like so many things with sim racing, it's all about personal preference and there is no right or wrong.

• Yes, just my opinion. Due to the increased power of the DD engines, the Alcantara steering wheel will soon look like it has been chewed by the dog. Just to spend a few minutes at second-hand markets on the net, to look at some photographs, before buying one.

Simagic, for its steering wheels, interrupts the seams in the grips.