The pedal compatibility problem

I have a CSL DD and CSL pedals

One thing I never expected when I changed to this from a Logitec is that about 90% of my driving games would not work. Why is this, the answer is the data the pedals send to the game. Lets use a scale of 100 just for the sake of ease, and focus on what a single pedal sends to the game. You would expect when you dont touch the pedal it would send a value of zero to the game and a value of 100 when fully depressed and of course a value of 50 when depressed 50% (if we use a range of 100) but what actually happens is when you dont touch the pedal it sends a value of -50 to the game, zero when 50% depressed and +50 when 100% depressed.

Most older games cannot deal with that,(and think the gas and brake pedal are both 50% depressed when you arnt touching them, and are not depressed when you fully press down on them) they expect a range of zero to (some positive number, 100 in my example). now if your lucky the game will allow you to set deadzones on the pedals (eg F1 2016) and you can set the deadzones to 50% that prevents the game receiving negative numbers the downside is the first 50% of pedal travel does nothing but at least you can play the game.

Unfortunately games that allow you to set up deadzones on the pedals are not that common.

Hopefully Fanatec could provide a checkbox (lets call it enable legacy pedal mode) that when ticked would only send positive numbers to the game eg treat the pedal like a X axis and not an X/Y axis like it does.

Comments

• edited April 2023

Are you using PC win10 or 11, or other? LC pedals? Connected to wheelbase or via USB?

Not so for me. With PC and Windows 10, and LC pedal values ​​range from 65535, when free, to 0, when fully depressed.

In any case, whatever their functioning, the game detects them correctly, right through the driver, if correctly installed.

For older games you have to use compatibility mode, because older games didn't have software implemented to recognize the newer racing wheels. Are you using compatibility mode?

However, the behavior you describe looks like my old Logitech pedals, which ranged from 32768 to -32767, so you may not have completely uninstalled the Logitech driver.

I recommend that you completely uninstall the Fanatec drivers, then completely uninstall the Logitech drivers, and then install the Fanatec drivers again.

• DavrosDavros Member
    edited April 2023

Windows 10 (fresh install no logitec ever been installed on this pc), csl pedals connected via the wheel base

I was using a range of 100 just to make the explanation easier to follow they could very well be sending a 16bit number.

you behavior of logitec pedals is very different from mine all my older games worked fine, games like need for speed 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 right up to nfs rivals which didnt have wheel support games like pod, f1 2016 (works with fanatec if you do the 50% deadzone trick, unfortunately a lot of arcade racers dont have deadzone settings for pedals )

ps: you mention compatibility mode are you referring to right click on the game shortcut "run this program in compatibility mode for vista/7/8"

or are you getting compatibility mode confused with combined pedals mode in the fanatec control panel (doesnt help btw)

The problem with older games is they think I am applying 50% throttle and 50% brake simultaneously when I'm not touching the pedals

• By "compatibility mode" I mean that of CSL DD. The yellow light on the power button.

• DavrosDavros Member

Ahh, as far as I am aware that only changes the device id so games think you have a csw 2.5 thats great for games that support the csw 2.5