Podium peripherals UPDATE: Products are now available for pre-order

Comments

• Honeslty some of the guys that complain must be buying Fanatec's most expensive products anyway cause the second batch of the DDs is already sold out....which means that the price is right in my opinion.

• Hi Thomas, Is there any update/news about the Porsche Rim/new Buttonbox you have previewed a few months ago, or is this the Podium Hub?
    Thanks in advance :)
    The Podium Hub is the gold coloured piece that wheels, button plates, and shifters will attach to. It was shown as part of the new Porsche wheel at the SimRacing Expo last year.

Is there any point of buying the podium brackets to my rennsport v2 when I already have the original mounting plate? Dont think the upgrade are worth 250€?
    The side mounts are stronger than the original mounting plate and more suitable for the Podium systems. Plus, side mounting gives you better leg clearance than bottom mounting.
    Hey Dominic, Thomas

So, for the podium hub are there any chance to allow DIY connections, I mean it would be great if fanatec release with the Podium a schematic diagram about the connector, pins and power. It will open to the podium an infinity possibilities and probably all the customers gets more options.

L
  • edited May 2019
    I guess its more about the value you get for your money, the switch is just what it is: a switch. Not realy worth 100€, its 10% of what the whole base came for. If i compare it to the Handbrake which sells for 150€ and is made out of metal and much bigger and more complex, the switch is a plasic mold. The powerbutton feels cheap and the stop-button is not much better, its not "podium grade" more like between the clubsport and csl range. Fanatec as a bigger player shoud be able to offer some better prices than a lot of its competitors. Yes i know that they dont need to do that and it seems that they dont want to do that. Since i got a DD2 its not much of a big deal for me but the powerbutton on the back would annoy me, its a desing flaw and the screen hides nice behind my sli-pro. There is room for a x.5 Version of these bases. 

I would buy a sidemount for like ~150€, but for 250€ i stick with my diy solution which just works fine. 

Not having the software ready to go is crazy, should be here already or you should have never told us about it and definitely never said its available by the end of april. 

The base itself is great (nowhere near a reinvention off force feedback but great) but everything else regarding the product launch is extremely unprofessional. It a good thing for Fanatec that the competion isn't that big, might have ended bad.
  • Mike BoltMike Bolt Member
    edited May 2019
    Hi Thomas, I was just wondering when you may release the alcantara steering wheels and the podium button plate? Many thanks Mike
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    edited May 2019
    I hear you!

So some (perhaps even the majoriy) expected a lower price aroud 50 for the killswitch and not 100. So we are talking about a price difference of 50 €/$

Perhaps our pricing was wrong and I guess we will see that in our sales figures by the end of the year. But please don't think that we are making a fortune on the Podium bases. In fact the first batch of DD1  with the discount voucher of 350 was sold well below our cost price. This means we worked hard for 3 years and made no money so far.

Any DD1 or P RW owner wo is complaining now about the high price probably paid our super low starting offers and get the big DD2 motor for free.

The Killswitch is NOT mandatory to increase your safety. If an accident like this happens then a KS would not helped anything.

As soon as the wheel goes wild and your hands are off you can also turn off the base with the power button. Therefore the Killswitch is more like a remote power button for your convenience.

And the position of the power button on the backside is not intended but a safety decision as it is very risky to have the power button placed on the front of the base when a formula rim is going wild and can hit your fingers if you want to power it off.

And yes we re still by far the cheapest DD offer on the market in this power range if you consider what a total package of a DD wheel base and 2 or 3 high-end steering wheels will cost you. Plus warranty, true wireless, worldwide support, plug&play, etc. etc.

And finally: Here is what a (full) plastic killswitch with cable cost for OSW 
    And this product has less functionality as it cannot turn off the base.

So if you are a DD1 owner of the first or second batch then you are extremely lucky and made a fantastic deal. Please enjoy.

• Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    Mike Bolt said:
    Hi Thomas, I was just wondering when you may release the alcantara steering wheels and the podium button plate? Many thanks Mike
    We will release more products on or before Simracing Expo
  • Mike Bolt said:
    We will release more products on or before Simracing Expo
    dear thomas
    i think we need a Key buckle or Key chain for torque key.  :P
  • Daniel HaynesDaniel Haynes Member
    edited May 2019
    lol. Thomas - I’m certain the massive thick shielded cables are 90% of the cost on that simracing bay item, the kill switch is probably thrown in. Yours comes with a tiny phone cable. But your correct and open with your thoughts which is great and appreciated. I didn’t get a first batch unit with voucher as you still don’t ship to South Africa so I had to wait until I had a trip planned to the UK this year to order. I would have certainly picked up a switch at probably 50euro just for convenience but at 100 I’ll just make my own power switch on the rig. I agree that if the wheel snaps out of your hand a kill switch is hardly going to help as it’s already happened. For 95% of people it’s just an easy way to turn off your wheel when your finished. I still think the podium f1 bundle is insane value. Can’t wait for mine to arrive in June.... unfortunately it will be sat with my mother in law for about 3 months until I actually get to the UK to collect it, the wait is going to kill me!
  • Thank you for your reply Thomas, I'm so excited for new podium products being released this year by you, fanatec make some awsome gear keep up the good work everything is very much appreciated, can't wait to recieve my podium racing wheel in June
  • Josh OskamJosh Oskam Member
    edited May 2019
    Thanks for your post Thomas. It's worthwhile hearing your point of view, but...

I would argue Fanatec would ultimately make a better financial return selling lots of the kill switches at $100(AU), but less overall profit selling a lot less of them at $150.

If they were $100, I would have bought one already, but at $150, I simply just can't justify such a purchase as it's a 'luxury' I don't actually need – and as other's have already expressed, I'd be quite annoyed at myself for spending so much on something that feels so overpriced.

Anyway, I'm loving the Podium DD1 and the Clusport Formula V2 rim, so I'm quite happy on that front.
  • Thanks Thomas for responding to kill switch prices. I will purchase one when/ IF the price gets reduced as only need it for a remote on/off switch.
    £$50 is more a sensible price imo, considering the extra postage cost.
    Why not do a poll rather than wait for end of year sales figures as am sure selling more items at a lower price would be better than selling none or not many at a higher price. Plus, IF  you do drop the price you will only infuriate existing customers that has purchased prior to reduced price.

Trying to recoup a sales loss on the first batch of DD1s via high accessory prices don't go down well.
    Still think it should be included with the DD1 as standard personally.
  • Josh OskamJosh Oskam Member
    edited May 2019
    No need for another poll. If I were Thomas, I'd just review the price now because it makes better business sense to sell a lot more units at a more reasonable price. Since they've only been on sale for two or three days, anyone who has already bought one could be reimbursed for the difference. That would make them happy, make other prospective buyers happy and Fanatec would ultimately make more money in the long run.

As I've already indicated, I'd buy one immediately if I didn't feel like I was being taken for a ride.*

:)

(* sim racing analogy fully intended)
  • Marc MeierMarc Meier Member
    edited May 2019
    Thomas what are you talking ? Your statement is wrong.

Watch this :

or 

...with Killswitch, Wireless, Warranty and Support !

For 99% of the Sim Racer the Power of the Simucube 2 Sport will be more then 
    enough for the Price of 959 EUR !!!

Please stay fair and realistic !!!

• edited May 2019

Watch this :

or 

this you can see like DD2 base where you alsow gat the killswich, and by the P RW PS4 you have steringwheel for 349$/€ + Podium pedal shifter for 179$/€

so wat you talking abaut??  

By the way Sparco gloves for racing = 179 €, where is the walue?
  • this you can see like DD2 base where you alsow gat the killswich, and by the P RW PS4 you have steringwheel for 349$/€ + Podium pedal shifter for 179$/€

so wat you talking abaut??  

By the way Sparco gloves for racing = 179 €, where is the walue?
    Dude, we talk about the DD1 Wheel Base. Without Switch and Wheel, nothing else.

After Price Drop and 99 EUR for the Switch. And we talk about Thomas statement.

So please : Read - Think - Understand and then Write....
  • I got the DD2 , so my kill switch was part of the deal. The plastic does stand out as cheap looking compared to the rest of my setup. It would be nice if the switch box was made of material like the box that houses my hand brake, even if such a device were offered as a premium version. That said, I understand that the sort of supplier where you would source this would be set up for this construction, and greatly enjoy the convenience of incorporating the power switch in the same housing. Thanks Thomas for the voucher, the wait was tough, but in the end I’m thrilled with my DD2! I’ll be following closely to see the rim options you’ll be releasing.
  • Fanatec's wireless solution is currently the best in the world
  • edited May 2019
    Thanks for your explanations Thomas. Very apreciated.

About your mounting brackets solution, it's not valid from every cockpit and most of us need a simple solution to get some angle for the base, like we have in CSW series. Something simple and adjustable like this, would be valid for any table/cockpit:
    It should be cheap and would fit on most of user's cockpits. If it’s not planned, told us to search for other thirth party options.
  • I hear you!

So some (perhaps even the majoriy) expected a lower price aroud 50 for the killswitch and not 100. So we are talking about a price difference of 50 €/$

Perhaps our pricing was wrong and I guess we will see that in our sales figures by the end of the year. But please don't think that we are making a fortune on the Podium bases. In fact the first batch of DD1  with the discount voucher of 350 was sold well below our cost price. This means we worked hard for 3 years and made no money so far.

Any DD1 or P RW owner wo is complaining now about the high price probably paid our super low starting offers and get the big DD2 motor for free.

The Killswitch is NOT mandatory to increase your safety. If an accident like this happens then a KS would not helped anything.

As soon as the wheel goes wild and your hands are off you can also turn off the base with the power button. Therefore the Killswitch is more like a remote power button for your convenience.

And the position of the power button on the backside is not intended but a safety decision as it is very risky to have the power button placed on the front of the base when a formula rim is going wild and can hit your fingers if you want to power it off.

And yes we re still by far the cheapest DD offer on the market in this power range if you consider what a total package of a DD wheel base and 2 or 3 high-end steering wheels will cost you. Plus warranty, true wireless, worldwide support, plug&play, etc. etc.

And finally: Here is what a (full) plastic killswitch with cable cost for OSW 
    And this product has less functionality as it cannot turn off the base.

So if you are a DD1 owner of the first or second batch then you are extremely lucky and made a fantastic deal. Please enjoy.

Hey Thomas,

I agree I think the price is right, the few unhapy people make a lot of noice but I think most gamers understand that a good product costs money to make hence it costs money to buy.

Anyway the real question is: Can my DD RW F1 be sent to me straight away cause I cannot wait haha!! ;)

Let's be serious for a minute, the price is fine, but I think it would be nice to put in the box a protection for the wheel like if you buy a wheel on its own, and 3 years warranty on the wheel like on the base would have been cool too.

Cheers and keep up the good work!
  • @Dominic Brennan 

Can you tell me when the first batch of standalone Podium Paddle Modules will be shipped?

Is the new July date for the second or third batch?

Ordered mine in December and Im eager to get it :)

Thanks!
  • edited May 2019
    @Dominic Brennan 

Can you tell me when the first batch of standalone Podium Paddle Modules will be shipped?

Thanks!
    First (!) batch of Podium Shifter Paddle Module will be shipped in June/July according to the Webshop shipping date.
  • @Dominic Brennan 

Thanks!
    First (!) batch of Podium Shifter Paddle Module will be shipped on July according to the Webshop shipping date.
    So they delayed that again? Again for the Podium Racing Wheel? 
  • Thanks for your explanations Thomas. Very apreciated.

About your mounting brackets solution, it's not valid from every cockpit and most of us need a simple solution to get some angle for the base, like we have in CSW series. Something simple and adjustable like this, would be valid for any table/cockpit:
    It should be cheap and would fit on most of user's cockpits. If it’s not planned, told us to search for other thirth party options.
    Those angle mount not really suitable for long body wheelbase
  • Noel GrunderNoel Grunder Member
    edited May 2019
    The price of this plastic on / off switch is just a joke. Profit optimization on our back, I would be ashamed. for 30 bugs more you get a Clubsport handbrake that to the relation.
  • Gerald NGerald N Member
    edited May 2019
    Wow, since you guys have all the parts now, you can just make it yourself (that's sarcasm by the way).  I pee more than a hundred dollars when I hit the bars, you guys kill me.... If it's too much, have you considered a different hobby?  

Thomas already explained and if you don't like it don't buy it (last part my opinion).  It will reflect in the sales number then they can reevaluate but I don't think it going to go the way you think. I think the price is fine.  If I did not have the DD2, I would have no problem buying it. 

• Thomas already explained if you don't like it don't buy it.

Not sure where he said that.
  • Gerald NGerald N Member
    edited May 2019
    Thomas already explained if you don't like it don't buy it.

Not sure where he said that.
    Sorry missed a comma or should have specified a little better I'll correct.
    Should be: "Thomas already explained and if you don't like it don't buy it (last part my opinion)"
  • edited May 2019

Watch this :

or 

uhm.. 959.. are you sure ?.

you have to add taxes on the final price "from 18 to 24%"
    even shipping costs
    you have to add a Quick Release adapter "or not, depends"
    you have to add a SC Quick Release "this is necessary"

for what i know it's not completely wireless and batteries are required to transport energy or you can use "a cable" from rim to wheel base.
    and for what i have tried , really, too much problems.. really too much... you can have it or not but i want to arrive at home,, fire up the wheel base... start the title.. and enjoy... without thousands of settings, firmware, drivers, forums, files, configurations.. infinite tweaks, videos, raccomandation, ground wires .. etc etc etc...

For what i know the games "works" on positional FFB ... and even OSW works and HAVE to works with this method and have to use Xinput to work with games and with this in mind I can’t justify buying a ( non product ) for what ? 1/2% of difference ?. 
    For games i mean

AssettoCorsa / competizione
    iRacing
    Rf2
    AMS

The working method is the same, you don’t get any real advantages or miracle and ( people like me ) prefer to buy  ( a real product ) because OSW don't give me what  "the actual technology and development" can't!!! ...  even with 50940 settings , 876 bit encoder and 849 firmware pages.

In my opinion all this extreme technical specifications are good to demonstrate overengineering capabilities that
    it's the same between PC and Consoles...

on PC you can't have the graphics of God of War or Uncharted 4 or GtSport even with 2x Quadro rtx 8000 but on PC you can claim "35 Tflops of powwwa"... but ps4 uses just 2 Tflops and give you better experience,graphics and VR!.
    Link me a title that have the same Car gfx Modeling (or lightning ) accuracy of GTsport or the same surface scattering implemented for the skin of nathan drake in uncharted 4 or a title that have the graphics of God of WAR not to mention The Last of US 2 or Detroit "with just 1.84 TFlops" .. and i delete my post. "tech demo excluded"

i have read that some people have to buy another Vive because EMI and ghosting caused a damage to the headset and HTC refused to repair it claiming an inappropriate use. happens even with oculus and "Monitors!".

Others says that they have to connect to the router thru a cable because wireless and bluetooth become extremely unresponsive and constantly dropping connections.
    one of my friend have "wifi problems too" and problems of any type EVERY single day with this OSW solultions...

one time the pedals, one time the game, one time motor error, some time system crash...
    all this things never happens with the csw "or podium"...

have 3 days that use it and it's happy like a children "from a 3 years of OSW" ???? ( last kit from sinracingbay - August 2018 ) big mige.

don't get me wrong man, probably for people that have sufficent patience (like you) is a good choice but the ratio on performance/features and usability ( in my opinion ) absolutely not worth the price.

you are right when you say..
    Please, stay fair and realistic !!!

SC Sport

SC Pro

And this
    SC Ultimate ( unbelievable ridddiculous price ) for that price just buy a Leo Bodnar.

No man, Thomas was right and trust me , it’s a miracle that the dd1 don’t cost 1359 and the dd2 1699. And probably FANATEC with actual prices, is near to go In par considering development costs. 
  • Hello
    Will the future Podium software be compatible with the Podium racing wheel? not specified in the description.
    cordially