Gran Turismo DD Pro - The wheel everybody was asking for

Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator

I am incredibly proud to introduce the official Direct Drive Wheel for Gran Turismo®. I can assure you that Fanatec has been waiting for this moment with just as much anticipation as you. I've been dedicated to the idea of developing a Gran Turismo licensed product for the past 15 years, and it has been a pleasure to work directly with legendary game designer Kazunori Yamauchi and his team at Polyphony Digital. I believe we have created the best officially licensed Gran Turismo product ever, and I can’t wait to see what you think of it.

Here's a quick summary:

• The first licensed Direct Drive wheel for PlayStation®5 (fully compatible with PlayStation®4 as well)
  • The first official Direct Drive Wheel for the Gran Turismo™ series
  • Package includes steering wheel, wheel base, table clamp, pedals, power supply - everything you need to start racing
  • 5 Nm peak torque using included power supply
  • 8 Nm peak torque unlocked with Boost Kit 180 (sold separately)
  • Wheel base is compatible with entire Fanatec ecosystem
  • PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, and PC-compatible out of the box
  • Pedals can be upgraded to load cell brake technology (upgrade kits sold separately)
  • 699.95 €/$ (in EU incl. VAT)

The Gran Turismo series has one of the most significant legacies in sim racing. This is the series that introduced many of us to the idea of a more realistic type of racing in a video game. Polyphony Digital pioneered the realistic racer on the original PlayStation, and the release of a new version for each PlayStation generation is always a big event. We’re super excited about Gran Turismo 7 coming in early March 2022, and of course we have been working hard to prepare this product to be ready in time. 

In fact, we are offering the option to air-freight the very first units before Christmas! You can enjoy your existing PlayStation 5 or PlayStation 4 racing games, including Gran Turismo Sport, on this incredible new hardware while you wait for the big Gran Turismo 7 release in March. 

The CSL DD has received universal acclaim from reviewers and customers alike. The Gran Turismo DD Pro uses the same groundbreaking technology, with an all-new direct drive wheel base at its core. This compact base packs a surprising punch, particularly if you add the Boost Kit 180, which allows the maximum 8 Nm of peak torque. Our patented FluxBarrier technology and the lightweight internals (including a carbon fibre-reinforced steering axis) helps to communicate force feedback detail with remarkable clarity.

Steering wheel designed by Polyphony Digital.

This unique 280 mm steering wheel for Gran Turismo DD Pro was designed by Polyphony Digital, providing the perfect interface between you and the game. The white OLED display and diffused RevLED strip offers useful visual information while driving and operating the Fanatec Tuning Menu, which is a first for a Gran Turismo-licensed wheel. A unique array of four 5-way directional sticks sit alongside the familiar PlayStation® inputs.

Strong, high-precision, two-pedal set.

This isn’t your typical bundled pedal set. The pedals for Gran Turismo DD Pro are solidly built from steel, with precise and durable Hall sensors that allow you to stay in control with smooth throttle and brake inputs. These pedals are compatible with the CSL Pedals Load Cell Kit (sold separately), which is the perfect upgrade to take realism to the next level. The pedals can also be combined with the CSL Pedals Tuning Kit, if you would like to upgrade to metal pedal plates. 

We’ve included a table clamp in the box as well, so this is truly a ready-to-race package for an incredible price. 

The Gran Turismo DD Pro will be available to pre-order from November 26th, starting at 699.95 €/$ with deliveries in March 2022. Check out GTDDPRO.fanatec.com for all the details.

A standalone version of this PlayStation-compatible wheel base is also on the way, subject to Sony Interactive Entertainment’s final product approval.

1. Is this the ultimate PS5 racing wheel you were waiting for?39 votes
    1. Absolutely! A true Direc Drive wheel made for GT7. Love it!
      64.10%
    2. Thank you but I am only playing on PC and I am superior anyway
      17.95%
    3. What am I doing here and why did I participate in that poll?
      17.95%

Comments

• edited November 2021

I'm very concerned there's no talk of a quick release and exchanging rims. Which also means no mention of adding Xbox compatibility. Does this mean Sony's license is once again needlessly restrictive and wasteful?

Edited to add: The video does show what looks like the QR1 Lite on the wheel, so hopefully the DD Pro isn't limited and Sony is just controlling the marketing message.

• Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator

As all Fanatec products, it comes with a QR and the QR is even exchangeable so you can upgrade both wheel and wheel base to a QR2 system later.

• Good news. BTW, congrats on the Gran Turismo partnership!

• Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator

Thank you :)

• Why are there no Australian prices? Or on the Black Friday sale?

• I don't see an additional DataPort USB-C port, is that right?

• For the CSL DD no mater what QR you will have you are not limited to Low and High torque like DD1 or DD2 cause it is up to 8NM with the boost Kit.

IF in the future Fanatec decides for Clubsport DD with higher torque or update the existing CSL DD with a more high torque boost kit, then it will be something to think of. For now just go for it in my humble opinion. 😇

• Will the Podium Racing Wheel F1 also be supported natively in Gran Turismo 7 or will it only work in a compatibility mode?

• Xbox compatibility comes through wheel. All you need is Xbox compatible wheel (at least that was a case with CSL Elite +)

• So the coloured buttons are just directional switches rather than rotational? Strange decision, changing TC, brake balance, engine map is just so natural and easy to do on a rotational dial.

• Ok, pretty sure now that the store website will crash again on Black Friday 😂

Let's give a shoutout to our poor, abused F5 buttons and hope we get in somehow during the course of the day.

With regards to the wheel, looks nice and the bundle is priced very competitively indeed! 👌

• Herr Thomas,

first of all congratulations for this new announcement, you all at Fanatec deserve the best!.

I have to be honest, I was a little skeptical, especially about the possibility to get this kind of news before the end of The year. I was a little “annoyed” by The total lack of update since The July announcement... while you were basically working and working and... yes working.

So, again, congrats... you’ve been and are involved into a lot.

I think this is great, it’s a complete package that offers the latest tech gear... with style. And at a great value, no question about that.

As of me...well I’ll wait for the standalone wheelbase 8Nm to upgrade from my CSL Élite ps4, and use it with my current gear (shifter, csl lc pedal set and formula V2.5x).

Happy customer since today, even happier now , knowing that there’s more to come!.

A very big Ciao!

Alberto - Italy

• This way you get a lot of more usable buttons though (20 vs 8)

• Thanks for the update, and notification before the actual pre order begins!

Congratulations to you and the team at Fanatec!!!

Looking forward to March!!!

• edited November 2021

Congrats Fanatec for this partnership !!!

I've a small question for you @Thomas. Now you are an official wheel for Playstation and Gran Turismo have you ever consider to use your position to "get" the G-Forces data from the games so you could send it to a motion rig ? I know this question has no sense for PC games as you plug your motion rig through USB and you use a PC software as simtools etc... But in the console world you could act as an interface between the games and the motion platforms.

Now you've democratize the Direct Drive for PC and consoles perhaps you could use your position to democrattize Motion Rig ? :)

THANK YOU again for everything you do for the simracing community.

PS : In the meantime, please make the CSP V3 rumbes work with this DD Pro and GT7 ! :)

• Do you sell it in Japan too?

• I must say this - the wheel "designed by Polyphony Digital" is a HUGE disappointment to me. I've been praying that the wheel is not the repeat of the T-GT, but oh well... In some places it's even worse than that.

• David ChiengDavid Chieng Member
    edited November 2021

Base is different though.

Internals must be the same. 🤔

• The bundle pricing strategy can be improved... For the current pricing as of Nov 24th:

1. The base bundle sells for 699: base + 5nm power supply + 2 pedal
    2. The 8nm bundle sells for 849: base + 8nm power supply + 2 pedal

For the same 849 money, I could buy the 699 usd bundle and a 150 usd 8nm boost kit separately, and I get base + 5nm power supply + 8nm power supply + 2 pedal. See, I get a free 5nm power supply by NOT buying the 8nm bundle.

I agree that the 5nm power supply might not be necessary once I get the 8nm, but it's just weird assuming that the customer would not want get something for free. Plus, it's always good to compare the 5nm and 8nm, to get more appreciation of the 8nm.

I think to make more sense, both the Gran Turismo DD Pro (8 Nm) bundle and Gran Turismo DD Pro Premium Bundle should be marked 20 dollar less, which is the amount of dollar saved by buying the 8nm standard CSL DD compared with the 5nm CSL DD.

Please correct me if I was wrong with the math.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Yue,

The Gran Turismo DD Pro (8 Nm) bundle includes the standard power supply as well as the Boost Kit 180.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Thanks for the clarification! I guess then someone (including me) would like the 5nm power supply to be removed and save couple of bucks. And 1 less power supply, better for the environment: Sim racing --- emission-free. lol

• Australian pricing please, and for Black Friday deals.

• Doesn’t look like it , but hoping none the less there is an early shipping bundle available , but was wondering if there would also be a premium bundle early access bundle available ? Or do I have to order separate pieces separately ?

• Excuse me, can ddf1's steering wheel support parameter adjustment in GTS or gt7 games?

For example, brake ratio or TC

• Can we have Australia pricing please?

• Is there any way to get just the DD Pro with wheel and no pedals? I know the standalone base is supposed to be released eventually too, although I am a little concerned with the bit about it releasing only with Sony's approval. Does that mean it might not happen if they decide they only want it to be packaged together, or that it could be another year before we can get it? I just bought the CSL pedals and am planning on purchasing the load cell kit on Black Friday so I obviously don't need another set of pedals but really don't want to wait as long as it could be to get everything else separately. Really wanted to order the whole set on Black Friday to have by GT7s release.

Love your products by the way. Have the CSL elite PS, Formula V2.5 wheel and CSL pedals and loving every minute of it. Keep it up guys.

• Thomas, I hope when standalone base cames to sale that existing Fanatec customers (account with previous order history) will have advantage in preorder like it was when CSL DD was announced.

Many of us have CSL Elite + bases with pedals and few wheela and we just want to change the base so it would be fair to have opportunity to order it before others.

I was thinking to order it now in bundle but I would rather spent this money difference on some better whel

Ty 🤗🍻

• David ChiengDavid Chieng Member
    edited November 2021

Might be something that has been agreed between Fanatec and Sony. Separate items may not be a possibility.

Why the different physical design of the base? To differentiate? Sony requested that?

But I have to give a kudos 👍️ to Fanatec for the package! Not that I will buy it cos I am not consoled!!!

• Gran Turismo DD Pro Wheel Base

Standalone wheel base coming soon*.

*Subject to Sony Interactive Entertainment’s final product approval.

• Australian pricing please, and for Black Friday deals.