Looking to upgrade

Hey guys,

Currently use a Thrustmaster TX which I’ve had for a number of years now, done some online league racing and looking to upgrade the equipment that I use.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• The csw 2.5 is supposed to be a significant upgrade for a good price. BUT I cannot speak from experience at the moment. I did tons of research (mainly YouTube) to try to get a handle on what would be a sidestep as opposed to an upgrade and Fanatec kept coming up. I only use a Logitech G29 which really is only entry level. But I did see a video of a guy who had upgraded from TX to CSW 2.5 and said it was a step into a different realm. A thread on reddit said that the upgrade was 30 to 40% better as well. Also you have the eco system which puts fanatec way up there (for me anyway) and means the whole system is modular.

My initial purchase was CSW 2.5 but after much deliberating, I cancelled and decided on the DD1 which is obviously an absolute huge upgrade with a pricetag to follow. Will hopefully arrive soon.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Ben,

The obvious replacement for the belt-driven TX wheel would be one of the CSL Elite bases. They are already a significant step up from the TX in terms of torque, smoothness, and features. The next step up from that is the ClubSport V2.5 base, which is the best belt-driven wheel base on the market. It is a significant step above the CSL Elite bases. Then beyond that is the Podium bases, which are direct drive and another big step (arguably a much bigger step) above the ClubSport. So it really depends on your budget.

If you are playing on PC, then you can select any base from our range and you won't be disappointed. If you have requirements for console compatibility, then things become more complicated, but we can help you with that too.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Hi Dominic,

Thank you for getting back to me, I play the F1 games on an Xbox One S. Was looking at a 2 pedal setup, quite interested in the CSL range. Is the 2.5 worth the money, or would you suggest playing ot safe with a CSL? Ie what benefits does the 2.5 have over the CSL.

Thank you

• I played PC F1 99 in 2000 on a simple Thrustmaster FFB Wheel as it was known then. Life then took charge. In April, I dug out F1 99 and it sort of ran on W10 but properly working wheel drivers weren't available. So got a Thrustmaster T150 Pro and F1 2019. Was OK on laptop at 30ish FPS.

A couple of weeks later went DD1/Pedals V3/Formula V2. Had major issue due to Laptop and low FPS. So new PC later and now brilliant. Feel is so good that never spin off.

Wheel capability plus graphics plus PC all impinge on each other.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Ben,

The good news with Xbox compatibility is that you can still choose any of our bases, because it is the steering wheel that contains the MS security chip. You can attach any of our Xbox One-licensed steering wheels to any base and it will make every Fanatec component attached to the base compatible with Xbox.

The V2.5 is definitely worth the additional money over a CSL Elite base. The CSL Elite bases use the same electronic/motor technology of the V2.5 base, but the belt mechanism is completely different. The ClubSport base has dual 'V-belts' instead of a single 'toothed' belt, giving a more 'direct' and smoother steering feel, and it uses a magnetic sensor instead of an optical one (higher precision). The drive mechanism has a different reduction ratio, meaning that the V2.5 generates higher torque as well (about 8Nm instead of about 6Nm). The ClubSport base is made almost entirely of metal, whereas the CSL Elite bases are a mixture of metal and plastic.

As I said, the CSL Elite bases will already feel like a significant step above what you're currently using, and will give you a great experience on the F1 games, but the ClubSport base is also another step above the CSL Elites. In terms of functionality they are the same. The V2.5 will simply feel more realistic due to its higher specifications and component quality.

• Thank you for getting back to me.

I think that its definitely between those 2, might lean more towards the V2.5.

You're help/recommendations have been very helpful :)

• I haven't used a TX,but its pretty much the same as the T300 as far as I know. I have used the T300 and it's OK, not bad at all.I certainly prefer the T300 to the T500 I had. Would say it is quite underrated and a good, solid wheelbase. Feels a bit like a toy but works well.

I have used the CSL and clubsport too. For me yes,the CSL is better than T300 but not night and day. A more refined product that is superior but not in a different league IMO. CSL is top of that league for sure, you would be pleased with it but maybe not blown away. If I were upgrading from a lower mid range wheel, I would want to get something better than upper mid range.

The clubsport is in a different league completely, really nice. Sure its more expensive but I think the clubsport is better bang for your buck than the CSL. As good as it gets in the belt driven wheel market. If the clubsport fits in with your budget, I would buy that if I were you

Thats just IMO. I am sure others would tell you different.