How to best configure the hardware of CS V3 Pedals? Too much options and combinations ...

Kind of an open discussion, looking for tips or links to interesting info on the web.

Way too much options and combinations of options which has always held me back of buying these pedals.

So here are the questions:

• Use the small or large pedals?
  • What's up with the angle of the pedal and angle of the pedal arm?
  • Use the preinstalled or stronger springs for clutch and throttle?
  • Damper kit on brake only or brake and throttle?
  • Good setting for throttle damper if any?
  • Good setting for brake stiffness?
  • Good setting for brake damper?
  • Best configuration of brake performance kit?

Comments

• Your points are the exact reason you "should" buy the pedals. How many other manufacturers are giving you all of these options out of the box? I currently have the CSL Elite's w/loadcell. I can't wait to upgrade to the V3's. The versatility and and options to set them up the way I want them is priceless in my book.

• Aaron ScottAaron Scott Member
    edited December 2019

πŸ‘πŸ€œπŸ€›, what he said so eloquently.

i have v3i, big pedals, performance kit on hard settings like a real hard race car pedal and all i want for is the optional gas strut for a little extra resistance for the accelerator.

i tried the harder spring and wasn't into it.

the harder spring on the gas pedal actually hurt my foot.

v3 pedals are the best value, next level up from v3 pedals are $999.99 ,but no road feel from the clubsport motors. i have them clubsport motors working on all my console titles and wont play with out them now!

🏁

• Damn. Ordered! :)

Will have a CSL Elite LC for sale.

edited December 2019

csl elite with loadcell are great pedals too, someone is gonna buy them, at $200 with a loadcell, they smoke thrustmaster t3pa pros or their base 3 pedal set.

learn the manual and keep your v3's lubricated, you can use the grease included in the Brake performance kit and i believe the pedals should have a bottle too.

• Yep, printed out parts of the manual, reading it tonight. They will be arriving tomorrow!

Saw some nice YouTube reviews with info on configuring them, using the damper and the performance kit yesterday. Although, or rather thanks to, the reviewers having different preferences I think I found some nice info on configuring how I want them.

Do you have any tips on configuring them with a nice bit of travel and a bit more than medium strength?

edited December 2019

ive been in race cars, i like the pedal to feel hard and the travel short.

i started with stock settings which was awful, but i had the kit and wanted to feel the stock before i altered it.

i added the performance kit on the middle settings on the included chart, but quickly found i want a stiffer pedal. when i got to the 013/013 green ,i adjusted the barrel to remove mechanical play, then i tuned the brf and abs vibration to my taste.

note, the brf is the sensitivity of the loadcell,

the abs is not Antilock brakes , the setting value represents the the travel of the pedal in 0-100. the value u set is where in the pedal travel the clubsport motor kicks in to help modulation of the brakes to not lock up. so set it to the braking zone and how u want it.

at least thats how i use it

• Yep, it’ll require some experimenting, just what I was afraid for. ;)

I’d rather be driving but I’m gonna have to bite through it.

First try stiffer springs on throttle and clutch, then try damper on throttle, then a few of those rubber combos, then try damper on brake. Half a day work ...

edited December 2019

nah, you're gonna know pretty quick. zeroing in on your feel quickly is easy, the hard part is settling on something.

So When u feel stock ,dont be afraid to say no way and go right to medium, then go crazy ivan hard, you're gonna know quick what you like.

πŸ™‰πŸ™ˆπŸ™Š

get it close quickly to get used to the abs motor though, thats the key and most useful feature.

• I knew this would be hell.

Tried the black spring in the throttle, liked it better.

Wanted to put the black spring in the clutch but one of the screws didn't want to get out, kept turning round.

Same as the guy in this video (halfway): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhQQi0uZ7as

So I did the same as him, tightened the screw that did loosen. I had a second Allen key to hold the screw but that one broke off about half a millimeter in the head of the screw.

Contacted support to send the pedals back. Wished I never started with these ... I like them now had them here but what if I get another set with screws like that?

• Fixed it, somehow managed to get both screws out using two pliers (and cloth of course) without any damage.

Tried the black spring on the clutch: didn't like it so clutch remains stock. (All that trouble ...)

On the throttle I prefer the black spring with damper, damping set very low.

I like the pedal faces stock as well, no extensions, tried them.

The brakes are for tomorrow: first testing the elastromers and then the damper.

• I'll be waiting for the report, but i wouldn't be surprised if u put them all in and wind up on 013/013 grn.

• Maybe but I was rahter hoping on 13red/13green as I'd like some travel.

Will see this afternoon.

edited December 2019

yup, we all hope for travel, just not in the brake pedal. well mine anyways

• While I'm deciding which spring combo to use, could you explain me why you wouldn't want travel?

I though with some travel better dosage of braking power, slight touch for trail braking etc .. would be better than with little travel?

edited December 2019

read up on threshold braking and watch shane van Ginsberg in a v8 super car. The shorter you can make the travel and keep braking efficiently, effectively the less time u spend braking and the faster you can get to the gas and so on !

you need brakes, but dont live on the brakes, the car likes gas its more fun!

• ABS "avant la lettre" but then in a high speed version. Ok.

Well my configuration is:

• clutch: stock (black spring was too hard)
    • throttle: black spring, damper on 1,5 (nice resistance and a very smooth feel)
    • brake: red 13 + green 13, damper on 2 (feels more than hard enough to me for now, travel is already greatly reduced from stock)

I like those dampers but I must say that the effect can be felt more on the throttle than the brake unless you set it higher (above 6), then you get a stiffer brake with shorter travel still.

So, it was a lot of work and hell to configure but I just drove a few laps and these pedals, when changed from stock feel very, very good. It's a nice upgrade from the CSL LC but at more than double the price with a few accessories. The CSL LC were really nice pedals as well but these are a step above. And I like those motors. ;)

• Oh, by the way, a stupid question but when you calibrate your pedals manually, is that calibration only for PC (so stored on the PC) or is it the calibration stored in the pedals or the base so the calibration works on console as well?

edited December 2019

the ps4 auto calibrates if that is your question, unless the title u play has a calibration feature in the advanced settings.

when i do, it is for a game with standing starts , then i short throw the clutch to match then brake. so i dont have to depress the clutch fully to engage

• Oh, I see, calibration in the driver is for PC only. Thanks!

What do you set BRF to in your Podium by the way Aaron?

edited December 2019

40ish and after i set the the abs to work thru my hack i usually set that for 50ish.

i used to run the abs higher, but i started lowering it and locking up less

the motors work for gt sport most of the time, but ever other title i have to do that dance for the clubsport motors to work at all

• Been testing out BRF. I find you can use it to emulate breke spring hardness, for testing purposes I mean, not as a replacement.

You have 2 green springs, lets say you find them too hard and the travel too short, you would set BRF to maximum to have to put the pedal furtherand harder, yes?

And lets say I have a green and red one and would be better with 2 green ones, I'd put BRF at minimum so I only have to push a little to brake hard. Sounds right?

• Really hate to admit it but you were right ... so I went to hell again, dismounted the whole thing from my rig and put in two green 13 springs ... =)

After racing for a while with the red and green 13 the brakes started to feel mushy in my opinion. What's more, I couldn't reach the lap times I did with the CSL unless I set BRF to 15-20. I reasoned that indicated too soft brakes.

So in went 2 X 13 green, adjusted the barrel to 1 and damper to 1 as well. ABS at 80 as usual, BRF at 50 for now and I'm shaving off seconds again.

Stiffer, shorter but still vary dosable, short braking possible and even shorter with some threshold braking if needed, slight touch for a little trail braking as well. It's about perfect I'd say, the only thing I might still play with a bit is BRF.

Thanks for all the advice Aaron!

• you tha man, im just some loudmouth guy!

πŸ€œπŸ€›