Any compensation about the issue with defective power cable?

I've already contacted customer service about a problem with my csl elite wheel base that caused a lot of damage (as documented here https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/comment/36035#Comment_36035 )

While I'm already in the process of the RMA, I also received the following mail from fanatec:

"Dear customer,

We have received evidence that the "CSL Elite Pro Kit for PS4" package may have included a potentially defective power cable. In the worst case, this could cause a hardware issue. If you have not yet started to use the product, we advise you to wait for the replacement cable, or alternatively use a different IEC cable (standard PC power cable) that you may already own.

If you are already using the CSL Elite Pro Kit without problems, it is likely that your cable is not affected. However we still suggest that you dispose of the supplied cable as soon as you switch to another cable and / or receive a replacement from us."

Since they acknowledge that some components were defective the are not explaining what to do in case the damage has already been done. I believe I need a compensation for what happened to my pc, TV and playstation.

Comments

• Based on what you experienced, the logical next steps would be to contact a civil claims lawyer and get advice what to do and work with Fanatec and see what they are willing to offer you in compensation.

I think you should consider yourself very lucky that your apartment didn't catch fire or that you didn't sustain an electrical shock.

• I'd like to avoid going to court but probably it might be necessary...

• Of course that is always an option but should be the final course of action. Maybe you have access to a consumer rights protection advocate where you live. There are always quicker and more amicable means to settle a dispute. Please keep us posted!

• That is extremely tragic.

• Tomas HelmsTomas Helms Member
    edited December 2019

The value of your loss is a fraction of what court will cost, ask yourself who can afford better lawyers, a company that made 22mil last year or you.

So long story short, work with them, dont throw around the court talk and be realistic. A 10% discount and a 30 to 50 dollar voucher would be nice with new gear coming out!

• what ever you do, do not throw the cable away

• As an update to this. I'm in the process with customer service to analyse the full extent of the damage. hopefully Fanatec will sort this out

• That's where you're wrong. $22MM revenue vs whatever it came out with profits doesn't make it a big company with a strong legal team particularly when they would be easily found negligent in most country's tort law.

And what you suggest is unrealistic-- if Fanatec will throw even part of its weight into legal defense for something they clearly did wrong (provide a cable with a fault) then Massimo should totally make a big stinker about this. He's sitting there with no TV, no PS, no wheel base. If this happened to most people, they would find that a 10% voucher insulting and your suggestion is naieve at best. (Spend more money after your trust is destroyed? Get real.)

• Tomas HelmsTomas Helms Member
    edited December 2019

They arent responsible for the PS4 and wouldnt be in court, he plugged what he thought was a faulty device in the PS4 to test it. Thats not how you test bad electronics. Just trying to help the guy get something, Naive is expecting Fanatec writing him a check.

• Umm OK. This is coming from a guy that jumps to defend Fanatec at every opportunity? I don't know what kind of in you're trying to get with this company? Maybe you don't understand basic electronics and how faults work?

Misleading is having the OP believe that Fanatec (which sounds like a reasonable company to deal with) won't compensate him for losses. Best of luck to you Massimo!