Weird problem with QR on Mc GT3 Rim

I’ve fitted the QR unit to it but it makes attaching and removing the rim almost impossible as it’s so tight. The QR unit when not fitted to the wheel goes on and off easily. The McLaren rim with the standard simplified (plastic) QR also goes on and off the base easily. I’m struggling to see why putting the QR onto the rim is causing this extreme tightness. Any ideas?

Comments

• Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator

Hi Brett,

Are you referring to fitting on the DD wheels? If so you can apply a small amount of silicone lube to the rubber, which will make it easier to attach.

• I’ve made sure everything is very well coated in silicone grease and it hasn’t made any difference. This problem is a only happening when the quick release is installed to the rim. If I try to attach either the Clubsport Quick Release (just own its own, not attached to rim) or the rim with the normal simplified quick release they slide on and off the base without issue. This problem only happens once the QR is attached to the rim. I’ve slackened the bolts to allow it to ‘centre’ itself but the problem is still there. I’m struggling to see how mounting the QR to the rim is causing this issue.

• Hristo GoshevHristo Goshev Member
    edited August 2020

You may have a bent pin, or the tower with the pins may not be exactly in the middle when the metal QR is attached.

Is there a scratch mark on the inside of the wheel base QR?

Can you take a picture of the inside of the QR?

• I’ve dressed the leading edge of the inside diameter of the QR. It’s scratch free and goes on the wheel base shaft really easy. The pins look pretty straight I think too

• SOLVED!!!! Even though it was risky (due to possible pin alignment mayhem) I put the QR unit back onto the rim, but left all the mounting bolts finger right only. I then put the rim onto my base unit, then nipped up all the cap heads with the wheel fully pressed down onto the base shaft. This sorted out the alignment issues and the QR modded wheel now slids on and off really easily!