New to Sim Racing and Fanatec

I am very new to sim racing and am looking to get started very soon. I have been doing a lot of research, trying to figure out the best equipment to start with. I am looking for a setup that is for the PC/PS4 and XBox One compatible.

I really like the CSW 2.5 setup, but there is no support for PS4. If there was an option to purchase the PC/PS4 compatible DD1 later, I would move forward with the Club Sport.

I am not big on a slow progression upgrade path and reall want to go straight into the DD1. Unfortunately, the only way to do this for the PC/PS4 is to purchase the $1,800 F1 Combo package with that very horrendous BLUE wheel.

Also, now that I have been reading through these forums, I may just call it quits on this project due to the horrible shipping and customer service complaints mentioned here. For every complaint voiced, there are at least 10 more that are mentioned here.

The poor selection of PC/PS4 Wheel Bases and number of service/ordering complaints have just about convinced me to keep my $3,000 in my pocket.

I would appreciate any advice or assistance from you seasoned sim racers.

V/r

Comments

• edited August 2020

Honestly, Fanatec has the absolute best/complete. Lineup of products out of all the console sim racing gear competition.

Thrustmaster is cool but I challenge you to find an h-pattern.

Logitech is cool but I challenge you to find a handbrake.

What else is there? Madd katz?

Fanatec has entry level, mid-level and top-tier all under one umbrella. I feel many of the items are priced inappropriately but I have also bought those items I felt were too much...so they are obviously doing something right. Not to mention the "entry level" Fanatec gear is objectively better than the "flagship" stuff from the other console-supporting companies.

Once they get the customer service portion on point and the prices go down instead of up continually, they will be sitting pretty on top of the console and most of the pc market.

• My Experience with the US store in the Pandemic has been fine.

3 orders placed, all for in stock items, paid for 2nd day shipping for each, and each arrived within 7 calendar days.

My advice would be to order only in stock items, and pay for 2nd day shipping and you should have it quickly.

(Note: NEVER add a back-ordered item to an order with other items! (the whole order will be held up until all items are available.))

As for the Blue Formula wheel. I agree, blue's not my favorite color either.

That said, I've seen those wheels go for well over $600 on ebay.

So you could buy the $1800 PS4 DD1, then sell the blue rim on ebay and use the money to get a wheel you like better.

An interesting tidbit: The BASE has to be PS4 compatible - I think all wheels work with the PS4. (For Xbox compatibility, you need the WHEEL to be xbox compatible, and everything works with the PC) (If you sold the blue wheel, and bought the Formula V2 wheel, you'd still have PS4/5 compatibility)

Overall this feels like a great time to buy - it feels like a sweet spot: We're just after that initial wave of extra demand from the pandemic and just before that wave of extra demand that comes with the holidays, -AND- a LOT of stuff is back in stock on the US store right now, so you have the luxury of more choices than many of us who bought a few months ago had.

• Jim GroveJim Grove Member
    edited August 2020

Also, through lockdown, Fanatec sold absolutely tons and tons of kit. Container loads of it. A few complained about shipping times, etc (me being one of them) but I would imagine hundreds or thousands did not, received their kit and were happy and didn't even visit the forum during that time. It is true that the customer service seems slow but my paddle shift failed on my Formula wheel and they were on it within a couple of days. It's all swings and roundabouts and I remember saying during lockdown that the long wait is grim but will be forgotten once the kit arrives. It was true. Don't be put off by the forum. The kit is awesome and the followers are many so there will always be help at hand.