SCAM ALERT - Peter Castelline

Jeff PlumleyJeff Plumley Member
edited August 2020 in Marketplace

Scam ALERT - Peter Castelline

Just a warning that this user has set up a scam on the Fanatec forums by listing items 'for sale'. I sent $200 USD on Aug 4th and haven't received a reply or tracking number in 21 days. The item never arrived. Original posting.

Comments

• Jeff, I have been in contact with Dom Brennan about this guy scamming people before. I was scammed for a csl elite wheelbase from him about a month ago.

• Sorry to hear that and thank you for your reply. Is Dom Brennan a forum admin?

PayPal and my financial institution have started an investigation. This person is still active and just canceled a refund request I sent since PayPal wanted to confirm he was still properly receiving emails. 😏

• All scammers on here be careful, my son also got scammed trying to buy pedals on here. I would go to Ebay when it comes to buying used products because it seems like some people are just heartless

• I'm sorry to hear about your son being scammed. It really is terrible and shows the type of people out there who prey on others for the benefit of themselves and have a complete lack of conscience.

I'm normally very careful when buying things online but made the mistake of trusting this person. Luckily I used my credit card through PayPal and both have started a fraud investigation. I will be getting my money back shortly but feel bad for those who were unable to. Hopefully this post is stickied for others to see.

• Yeah its unfortunate, when you used PayPal did you not use goods and services? That's the mistake my son made and PayPal has done nothing for me, he is literally 16 now for now on all products I'm purchasing directly from the fanatec website, did some research on PayPal scams and whenever a person asks for money friends and family than it's a scam most likely. This is why I only trust ebay or fanatec themselves, question to you, why didn't you just pay the extra 100$ and just buy the wheel new on the fanatec website so you wouldn't of had to take the risk?

• Jeff PlumleyJeff Plumley Member
    edited August 2020

I was going to buy the wheel directly from Fanatec but it was out of stock at the time and would cost $345 USD with shipping to Canada.

This seller agreed to sell it for $150 and free shipping but asked for another $50 to cover shipping costs to Canada. At that point I should have just walked away from 'the deal'. 🙄

I originally used the PayPal protection method where the funds are held until the item is received....but the seller said he needed the money 'right away for vacation' and stupid me, I agreed to use the other method. Luckily I paid with my credit card that's attached to my PayPal account. My credit card purchases have fraud protection so I will be getting a refund in a couple of weeks. They are fully investigating the seller and have requested from PayPal this person's banking info, login times, IP location etc.). So while PayPal is also investigating this, they won't be the ones refunding my money.

Really sorry to hear you and your son had to go through this experience.

• Wow I don't understand why they did none of this for my situation, and my son had my credit card attached also and I have fraud protection they told me when I called and gave my story they would investigate it and then never got back to me with a update and it's been almost a month, smh

• Jeff PlumleyJeff Plumley Member
    edited August 2020

Are you saying PayPal isn't getting back to you? If it's your credit card company call them again and ask for an update. They should refund your money once you file a claim and they investigate it. In the meantime they will remove the charge on your cc (at least that's how it works with my financial institution).

• Yes PayPal never got back to me and my credit card company got back to me and said since it was done willingly there was nothing they can do and I tried explaining that it was my son and it did not matter, and financial institution???, are you not in the US I'm guessing

• No I don't live in the US. Perhaps it also varies per credit card company?

They should have opened up an official claim and sent you a form to fill out, then email them all the relevant info (payment amount, date, the PayPal address/email they used, postings on this forum, etc). That's the process I went through. I'll keep posting in this thread as I get further updates.

• What country are you in?

• Canada.

• He did not scam you, his email and account was hacked, message me

• HE DID NOT SCAM YOU his account was hacked message me