Is it normal to have scratches form on the wheel base axle and quick release?

I've had my CSW 2.5 wheel base and podium hub for about 1 month but I've already started to notice scratch mark appearing all over the grooves of the unit. Use it for a couple of hours every weekend and detach the wheel from the base once I'm done.

Just wanted to know if this is normal. Thanks

Comments

• if you think that is bad you should see the state of the QR on my Podium wheel - it has big gouges out of it. The QR is a really poor design.

• That's absolutely normal.

• Thanks for the answers, was worried I was damaging the QR somehow (which in a way I guess I am but due do design).

@Gary, has it affected your handling in any way? Do you think lubrication would help?

• Lubrication does help. The DD shaft is trickier as it has a wide rubber band so care is required not use any lubricant that could accelerate deterioration of the rubber. I've tried various silicone and graphite lubricants but still have difficulty removing and reattaching my Porsche wheel - the others aren't so bad. The porsche wheel is causing pretty serious damage to the QR where it is grabbing. Seems the manufacturing tolerances aren't as tight as they should be.

• edited October 2020

My DD1 is round about a month old:

I was badly surprised after disconnecting my BME-Porsche wheel yesterday. This looks really weird.

Maybe it's an illusion but I think I can "feel" the scratching while driving and it happens most of the time in right cornerns. That was the reason I disconnected the wheel to have a look. And as you can see the "scratch" is mostly on the right side. Is this really normal?

• no, THAT is not normal. What the OP showed in his pic however is absolutely normal.

• Damned - I was afraid about that. 😯