Quick release not locking in properly after being sent for repair

Hi

I just received my CSW V2.5 back from the Fanatec repair shop and I’m extremely un happy with the outcome of the repair job to say the least..

First thing I noticed was the plastic top cover not secured properly, as I went to wipe off all the greasy finger prints left on the wheel base I noted to plastic cover was rattling around. I found the issue, one of the rear bolts was not tensioned properly. Frustrating enough but an easy fix...

Then when trying to connect my BMW GT2 rim I noticed the wheel was not locking in like it use to. There use to be a loud click once the QR was in place, now it does not click in and then wobbles around like a cheap dildo!

Ive just tested my BMW rim on a friends CSL elite and it locks in perfectly which leads me to believe the issue is with the wheelbase..

Extremely disappointed in Fanatec customer service. The product wasn’t even one week old before being sent off for repairs..

Absolute joke!!! Switching from Thrustmaster to Fanatec has been one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made..

Rant over...

Comments

• Please check whether these 6 bolts are tightened.

• Yes they are tight, I did check that.

• Maybe they changed the shaft which usually from shaft to shaft and QR to QR there is a tolerance hence the wobble feeling?

Try the locking bolt if it will make a difference.

• The locking bolt does stop the up and down movement but not the side to side

• edited November 2020
  • Yes it is..

I found some small pieces of dried up loctite inside the QR I cleaned it all out and now it seems to be a lot better. Still not as solid as it was before the repair job ☹️ Definitely better..

Thanks for your help guys, appreciate it 🤙

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry to hear about your repair experience. Of course your equipment should be returned in the same (if not better) condition than when it arrived. I have passed on your report to the relevant department so that it can be investigated.

The the base-side QR was replaced as part of the repair, which explains why it feels a bit different; there can be a small difference in tolerances. If you are not satisfied you can always send it to us again so that we can check if the QR is in spec.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Hi Dominic

I’d say that the shaft (base side QR) is ok and within spec because if feels ok with the F1 esports rim ive had to borrow from a friend. It’s just the BMW rim that Ive been having dramas with..

After receiving my products back from the repair shop and sorting out these other inconveniences, the first day of testing actually went well, no issues. But then the very next day 5 laps in and boom! The original issue returns 😫

I’ve contacted support again and they have asked me to record another video of It happening. I’ve just spent the last 2+ hours trying to replicate the issue on camera for you guys with no luck 😞 I’ll try again tomorrow. It’s very frustrating because 99% of the time the wheel works just fine..

The worst part of this whole situation is that there was never anything wrong with the base, it was always a problem the rim. I told this to the support team multiple times, that I’ve been using other rims without any issues but they did not listen and insisted I send them the base as well. So they pulled apart a perfectly good wheel base and replaced a part that didn’t even need replacing with a part that is not as good, even though the shaft (base side QR) is most likely “in spec”

All I’m asking for is a refund on the BMW rim so I can put that money towards a Formula V2. I don’t think that’s to much to ask considering.

please help, thank you

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Chris,

It is standard procedure to request both the wheel base and the steering wheel in cases like this. The fact that another wheel works is not definitive enough, and it was the most thorough approach to check both units. As explained in their communication, the team was unable to reproduce the issue and replaced parts as a precaution. It appears that you are having similar difficulties reproducing the issue now.

If you wish to go the refund route at this stage, you must communicate this to the support team.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• My last message to the support team was asking for a refund