Worth upgrading?

hi ALl

i have a a Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 wheel, v1 clubsport pedals and a shifter. I'm wondering if anyone can advise on how dramatic the difference is between what i have and some of the newer gear. I can't really afford an upgrade to the podium wheel base but was wondering about CSL Elite (either version) and some v3 pedals.

I realise its probably hard to quantify, but is the difference likely to be night and day or more subtle? Thanks for any thoughts :-)

Comments

• I think you'd be very pleased with the CSL Elite base (I'd go with the "+" version) and especially with the V3 pedals (which are outstanding and highly recommended).

As for your current wheel "Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2", I'm not seeing a wheel by that exact name on the site. You'd have to double-check regarding compatibility with the base.

• Thanks David.

yeah the wheel i have is super old - here is a couple of links

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/racing-wheels/porsche-911-gt3-rs-v2-wheel

its not detachable as far as i know. So i have to buy a new base and wheel if i upgrade.

Re the pedals, are the inverted considered much better than the non-inverted? I guess the damper gives more realistic feel?

• You should consider the Brake Performance Kit in any way.

Together with this mounted, the damper makes no sense anymore, but it could be moved to the gas pedal, which is very cool. Despite that, the differences between V3 and V3i are not that significant, but when you don't have a rig with hard-mounted pedals, you should definetily take the V3 as the V3i will tip over for sure...

• Regarding the wheel, if you're looking to get one which you'll most likely have to do, I've recently upgraded mine from the standard CSL Elite PS4 to the BMW GT2 wheel....a wider, heavier wheel than the standard CSL Elite. Seems as though it would be a pretty durable wheel also.

Regarding the V3. I'd go with the standard V3 rather than the inverted. It's what I did. More economical and pretty much does the same job. I didn't bother to get the Brake Performance Kit as I didn't think it was necessary. The included load cell brakes work more than well enough and excellent quality.

• Hi.

I had the porsche GT2 (basically the same except for the colour and the xbox 360 compatibility) for about 6 years and I upgraded to a CSW 2.5 base (I did not test the CSL bases, but from what I could read online: if you don't have the CSW2.5 base and a CSL base in the same room to switch from one to another, it's very hard to tell the difference) and what I can tell you is the feeling difference is huge. It's worth the upgrade, really: the force feedback is so smooth, natural and powerful compared to the porsche GT base.

A week after getting the CSW2.5 base, I tried again the porsche wheel and it was impossible to thing of coming back to it.

About the pedals, I had the csp1, I upgraded to the V2 a couple years ago (I got a used one in good condition cheaper than the price I sold my v1) and I got the csp V3 for last black friday. I think if your pedals are working fine, there is no rush to upgrade it.

About the shifter: if you still have the porsche/plastic (or CSR) crappy shifters, yes you have to upgrade to the clubsport shifter, the difference is massive (so is the weight).

TLDR:

-yes go for a wheelbase, a CSL Elite will be great. (just avoid CSL P1 wheel)

-stay with the CSP if it's in good condition

-clubsport shifter is great, you should already have one

• Thanks all - this is hugely helpful and has me very excited about an upgrade :-)

With my old wheel, I often find I need to reboot, restart etc to get everything working. Sometimes the force feedback drops in power dramatically, other times the wheel gets confused and goes full lock to one side.

Am I right that the newer gear largely solve this problems, or does it still take quite a bit of work to get things running smoothly? (I favour games at the more arcade end of things like the Dirt Series, Forza etc).

Thanks again for all the helpful advice!