Are we ever getting a direct Canadian store?

We lose so much on currency conversion, shipping, duty, processing fees, not to mention shipping problems and long wait times. Judging by this forum and reddit etc, there's a huge market up here so why don't we have any licensed resellers with CAD prices? Why not Amazon.ca for example?

Comments

• Why don't you get it from Simulation 1 which is based in Canada?

• Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator

Big markup and still cheaper to buy direct from Fanatec.

• ^^ yup. If it's cheaper to buy *and* still ship from the US, something's not right.

• After my first horrible experience with Fanatec Web store and zero customer service, I buy everything from Simulation 1. I consider it a small premium to pay for good service and fast shipping. If you need help they answer their phone and can respond in less than 14 days, which is the communicated expected response time for Fanatec customer inquiries. The cost savings delta is not worth the BS if your order has issues. Amazon.ca would be perfect but I wouldn't hold your breath for Fanatec to make a decision for the benefit of Canadian customers.

• From what I heard, Fanatec do not have "Authorized" resellers as they sell online direct. They do offer a slight discount for bulk orders. This is what Simulation 1 does, buys the bulk and then marks it up exponentially higher and re-sells it to us Canadians. It's crazy how much higher it is at S1S, well above any reasonable MSRP. Again this is what I heard through other sim-racing retailers that wanted to re-sell Fanatec but they do not offer "reseller" rates.

• Case in point, I bought the handbrake from Sim1 over a week ago now. Overpaid for the item, paid $38 for shipping with some third-rate delivery company to Vancouver and I've no idea where the package is even though the ETA lapsed yesterday. Good luck getting through to their customer service via phone or chat. Tracking info just says "Delayed"... *This* is why it pays to go through the US store until they decide to open an authorized reseller in CA.

I guess if you live close to the Sim1 store in Ontario, then you're probably in luck.

• A Canadian store would be amazing! Assuming the numbers/logistics would work out in Fanatec's favour too of course. ;)

I looked at Simulation 1 a few times once I began pondering moving on to gear above Logitech. Don't know, just couldn't do it -- pricing rubs me the wrong way. For the CSW 2.5 alone:

$829.61 shipped and after conversion from USD to CAD direct from Fanatec compared to $972.46 shipped (incl. 3% processing fee, but before taxes) from Simulation 1. That's a difference of $142.85 and with tax an additional $122.27, so $265.12 out of pocket on this single item. Sure the CSW from Fanatec may get taxed at the border, but CBSA estimate is <$100 and with no duty. Might not even happen.

If ordering more gear, a ~$1700 USD (~$2200 CAD) order from Fanatec works out to ~$3200 from Simulation 1...

• I bought the Clubsport wheelbase and the cheapest Xbox steering wheel off of the US store. Rest assured, you do get taxed at the border (GST+PST depending on which province you're in) but that's to be expected. No duty thx to NAFTA (or whatever the hell it's called now). And I paid a $10 admin fee for processing. And it still came out way cheaper than any local reseller prices.

• Yeah, I'm prepared for it but have had a few shipments from the US come through without. So, maybe. ;)

How's the CSW working for you? Can't wait for mine to arrive!

• I think there's a threshold above which you will get taxed.

It's pretty awesome! ;)

• There is -- CBSA collects taxes/duty for any "taxable imports valued at over $20CAD". Either way, I'll be happy once it arrives. Enjoy the CSW!

• Why dont you guys try to open and run a shop and see if you can sell at the same as the webshop of fanatec, and let us know.

A reseller, especially when he has the shop for walk ins, must be able to make a bit of profit (after covering all his costs) right?

He is also taking the risk of having inventory that it might never be sold, he is taking the risk of being the middle man between factory and end user, he is the one that has employees that have to pay, rent, trade license etc... So how do you expect him to make a living. With the "UP TO 15%" they might be getting upon a sale from the FAP ?

Please be reasonable when comparing prices.

Same happens to all the products you see online or in actual physical shops.