Steering Wheel Porsche 911 GT3 R : ClubSport or Podium?

Hello there,

All is in the title (almost): I would like to buy a ClubSport Wheelbase v2.5 and a Porsche 911 GT3 R Steering Wheel but I'm not sure about the model to buy for the wheel itself: ClubSport or Podium? I will use it only for PC Simracing. Are those wheels 100% functionnal (including endurance module) with the lastest beta drivers on this Wheelbase? What are the advantages to choose one versus the other? Anybody could help?

Regards,

Comments

• Your base is clubsport so clubsport wheel

• Olivier DoitOlivier Doit Member
    edited November 2020

Yes I was about to buy the ClubSport for this reason... But reading the different compability info, I'm a bit puzzled : My understanding is that the Podium version IS compatible with the ClubSport Wheelbase v2.5 (knowing that endurance module is only supported through beta drivers whatever the hub choosen). if it is the case, I would prefer to go with the Podium Advanced Paddle module... Do I get it wrong?

• You get it perfectly right. Both variants are compatible with the CSW with the latest Release Candidate Driver 381.

• Olivier DoitOlivier Doit Member
    edited November 2020

Thank you Maurice!

That being said, any advantage to go for the ClubSport (aside the 100€ lower price of the bundle and the XBOX compatibility)?

The podium has at least the advantage to include the Podium Advanced Paddle module (don't know if there are other pros for it thought).

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Olivier,

Yes the most apparent advantage of the Podium version is that it includes the Podium Advanced Paddle Module, but this component can also be purchased separately for the ClubSport Universal Hub for Xbox.

The reason why these wheels are assigned 'Podium' and 'ClubSport' is because of the Hub. If you compare a Podium Hub with a ClubSport Universal Hub for Xbox, they are quite different, even though in the context of the GT3 R wheel, they serve the same purpose (aside from Xbox support).

On their own, the Podium Hub is a more simple component, without any inputs or direct Tuning Menu access (no Tuning button/FunkySwitch/display). It requires the Button Module Endurance to add such features, and requires a separate paddle module to add shifters, whereas the Universal Hub has more features out of the box: basic shifters (removable), plus four button clusters and FunkySwitch (all need to be removed for the BME), and a display and Tuning button (not used when BME is installed). This makes the assembly process of the Podium GT3 R wheels more straightforward.

Naturally, the Podium Hub is a more premium component compared to the ClubSport Hub. It has a stronger core construction, newer electronics (firmware updatable, unlike the ClubSport Universal Hub), and a more compact, purposeful appearance. A fully assembled GT3 R wheel with a Podium Hub at its core looks like the more premium device (from the side or the rear).

Also, the Podium Hub has a removable quick release adapter, which may be advantageous in the future...

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Hello Dominic,

Thank you for this detailed answer. Very helpfull! I've choosen the podium ;-)

Regards,

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

You are welcome Olivier, I hope you enjoy your new wheel!