Which driver is best with DD1?

I know this question has come up before (probably many times). In fact, I responded to a thread that's a few months old asking the same question, but to my surprise, unlike every other forum I've ever participated in, new comments added to older threads don't get moved up to the top of the list. So, nobody is ever going to see my question, which is why I'm re-posting the question again. Seems very inefficient...

Anyway, rant over. I'm trying to fire up my new DD1, and the first major step in the instructions calls for updating the firmware. When I go to the link in the Quick Guide instructions, it brings up three options for drivers: Fanatec driver 381, Fanatec driver 346, and Fanalab V1 53. On that other thread, somebody said driver 373 works well, but that one didn't come up as an option - maybe it's been superceded by 381. But from what I've gathered (I'm VERY new at this stuff), 381 is extremely new - not even in the beta phase, so it's probably entirely unsuitable for a newbie like me. So, between the Fanatec 346 and the Fanalab V1 53, which is the better option for someone starting out? Thanks.

Comments

• v381 is the official driver and go with v1.53 for FanaLab

• Hi Andrew, welcome to the DD family.

There is no clear answer from other users because of the personal preference on what each driver gives you.

As per the manufacturer it is always good to have the latest installed on your device because of the compatibility with the newer products and improved features.

So latest official released latest driver is the 381 that correctly you found in the webpage under your base.

The reason you see only 2 drivers in the webpage 346 and 381 is very simple....

Those are the only two official releases that were stable enough to be considered final and be released as official.

Anything in between are just beta that were good enough only to be released to the public for further testing by more people and give back their feedback if they choose to test them, and you could find them in this forum only under the beta drivers section.

• Thanks for the detailed response. In purusing the Driver Packages section of this forum, I was under the impression that Driver 381 is in the very early stages of testing, so I was hesitant to download it, since I'm probably at the moment the most inexperienced user in the entire Fanatec universe. Butfrom your response, it sounds like it's actually ready for prime time, so I'll give it a try.

• Driver 381 was a Release Candidate driver which are in far development, not in the beginning of development / testing.

No.major bugs were found in public testing somit went live as the next stable driver so it is Rock Solid.

• Thanks for the explanation. I somehow was under the mistaken impression that the Release Candidate state was farther behind than the beta state, but it should have been obvious that I had it backwards.