Please help me get the right wheel for the DD1

Hi everyone! Despite hundreds of youtube hours on simracing, this is all brand new to me. Getting equipment feels like being lost in a jungle. I'm really hoping to get some advice!

Maybe I'm crazy and totally in the wrong place for this, but I am not at all looking for super realism, and not looking to compete at all. I want a pure arcade experience, and with that, as strong force feedback as possble, hence why I'm set on the DD1. I'm only looking to get as much fun out of it as possible, nothing more. Will be playing on either PS5 or Series X, but Series X seems more plausible, given the standalone DD1 doesn't support the PS5.

So whit that said, I was all set on this package:

• Podium DD1
  • CSL Elite Steering Wheel WRC
  • CSL Elite Pedals LC
  • ClubSport Shifter SQ

This all lands on about 1,900 euro, which is crazy, but I've convinced my self that being cooked up at home, why not. I'm not exactly spending the money on anything else other than Uber Eats.

However, I just recently watched a review (don't even remember of what) that mentioned that the CLS wheels will actually limit the DD1 torque, which is a shame, since the WRC wheel seems like exactly what I would want. So the cheapest one after that is the BMW GT2, for a 100 euro more, or the R330, which I would prefer, but for 200 euro more.

This is a ridiculous price point (for me), but while I ponder this, could you please just confirm that the BMW GT2 and R330 rims will work with the DD1 without limiting it?

Comments

• Just to clarify, I mean this bundle: https://fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-r330

So I guess, TL; DR: Is the ClubSport Steering Wheel Universal Hub for XBOX ONE fully compatible with the DD1, and wont put it in low torque mode?

• The BMW will not work with the Xbox, will only work on PC if you use a normal DD1.

The R330 is possible to use on Xbox if you buy the universal hub for Xbox One version and has no torque limitations.

• edited December 2020

If you buy the Podium Racing Wheel for the PS4/5, you get a DD1 base compatible with PS5 and PC. The Formula V2 wheel that comes with the base should be quite easy to sell on ebay. And with an XBox- ompatible rim you are set for all platforms.

I have the BMW wheel, and a DD1, and they work perfectly together with full torque from the DD1. But if I’m not mistaken it is not compatible with the XBox.

Another option is to upgrade the WRC wheel with the ClubSport QR, but that will end up the same price as the BMW wheel, and the BMW wheel is a better option in my opinion.

• Thanks so much you two!

Pasqual is right, I misread about the BMW wheel, it's not xbox compatible. So I guess I'm looking at getting a Universal Hub for XBOX ONE bundle.

If anyone wants to buy a kidney, you know where to find me!

• But the BMW wheel doesn't work with the Xbox.

And upgrading QR of the WRC wheel keeps the DD1 in low torque mode. The construction of the wheel is not made for higher torque even with the aluminum Clubsport QR. See the special notes section of the WRC wheel page "*High Torque Mode is NOT accessible on Podium wheel bases using this wheel, even when using the ClubSport Quick Release Adapter."

• Pasqual, I really appreciate you talking the time!

So this is then what I would end up with - it's basically the cheapest way of getting a DD1 with clutch pedals and a shifter, for Xbox One:

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/setupbuilder/load/id/6f89153692a505c80c9ac6a7851107c9/v/2

I'm I crazy for even considering this for playing like Dirt Rally 2.0, Grid, Wreckfest, Horizon 4 etc? I love the thought of actively having to fight the wheel - I really think the DD1 will bring me much more enjoyment than if I went with an CSL Elite, for example - even tho I might be "wasting" it's potential for realism etc. And who knows, this might push me into sims later on as well.

• Ah, sorry... Took it for granted that the CSQR allowed full torque since it does on other CSL wheels such as the McLaren. My bad.