LEDs, buttons and cams (hand gears) do not work. But yes turn the steering wheel. And FFB works

Hi, I wanted to ask if this has happened to anyone.

The first day I turned the wheel on, the ClubSport Wheel Base came on and the wheel made its calibration turns, but the LEDs on the wheel didn't come on, and neither the buttons nor the cams worked.

After spending a while turning the base off and on, and taking the wheel out and in, it worked. 

I thought it was a specific case, but no, every morning when I turn on the steering wheel, at first, the LEDs, buttons and cams do not work (hand gears)

Sometimes they work after the base is turned off and on.

Sometimes they work after taking the steering wheel in and out.

It doesn't matter if the PC is on or off.

The drivers and firmware are updated.

Once it is working, it usually goes well, although sometimes in the middle of the race, the LEDs have started to flash, and have even gone off for a while, stopping the cams and buttons. 

The pins are correct, there are no broken ones.

Has it happened to you?

ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW GT2 (CSW_RBMW)

ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 (CS_WB_V2.5_EU)

CSL Elite Pedals (CSL_EP)

CSL Elite Pedals Loadcell Kit (CSL_EP_LCK)

Comments

• Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    edited December 2020

If you have updated all firmware to the latest v381 and verified the pins and screws are all intact then it seems like a communication issue between the wheel and base. Best you open a support ticket with Fanatec. You can do this under "My Products" page.

• edited December 2020

Yes, thank you. 

I opened ticket it and was told to tighten the screws in the middle of the base and the handwheel.

The screw in the middle was a little loose.

I tightened the screw and it seems to work fine now except for the scare I got in the middle of a race when the cams stopped working and I had to restart.

I'll keep watching it

• Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator

Good to hear. Those screws can sometimes be loose enough to cause miscommunication. I would verify all 5 on both sides.

• edited December 2020

Eventually the failure continued to occur. When you leave the base off for about 15 minutes, when you turn it back on the steering wheel does not understand the LEDs or LCD panel or cams and buttons.

I checked that by touching with a screwdriver the screw in the middle of the steering wheel, it immediately made it work when I put it back.

It is as if the steering wheel will store off a Static electricity that prevents its correct operation and when it is discharged it already works.

I have been given an RMA and it will be checked and repaired in the workshop.

• I am sad.

I already received my RMA. I eagerly opened the packages.

It was supposed to be repaired:

That's what the support people told me...

But the surprise is that the packages I received were identical to the ones I sent. Same packing tape. Everything was the same. It seemed as if they hadn't even opened the boxes in the workshop.

I think... nonsense... can't...

I turn the wheel on, turn it on, and it keeps failing just like the first day. VIDEO: https://streamable.com/4pj34y

:(

• Update:

I think they are going to send me a new steering wheel, because this one, when I manage to make it work, after restarting several times, and it seems to work, in the middle of the race the cams, LCD, and buttons are turned off... it is a 5 seconds blackout, then it works again, but enough to ruin the race. (But the steering and FFB still work).

VIDEO: https://streamable.com/kzt7se

The truth is that I am getting a disappointment with Fanatec. Although the product is very good, but I see some serious quality control problems, .

• Hi, I received the Fanatec steering wheel on Tuesday. It worked the first time. It does not fail after being off for several minutes. And it does not shut off in the middle of the run.

It works perfect!

Now I am really happy with Fanatec.

• good evening. I have had the same problem from the beginning. I sent them my F1 ring v2 because the right cam stopped working and then the rest of the buttons. It came to them on a Friday, on Monday I had him sent back to my house. Upon arrival I see that they have sent me an email saying that there was some incorrect hardware that was failing and that they had replaced it with a new part in my ring. I plugged it in and it worked fine for a minute and a half, then every time I turn on my base with the ring on, it pulls to update it and reboots and pulls to update it again. I have tried everything, downgrading the firmware by installing on other devices and nothing. This is hilarious ..

• Hello everyone,

I have same issue, and according to my research, there are several other people that experience same problem.

It was rare at first but it started to happen more often. I tried to reproduce the issue, and according to my expriments it only happens during under very heavy breaking. I have tried without any game opened and it was happened also. So I want to ask if someone can try to do same thing? I think the issue is about brake pedals (maybe loadcell) rather than wheelbase.

Thanks!