VAT

Comments

• I think its the couriers fault in this instance and Fanatec for not giving the buyer better shipping options

• Brexit shouldn’t make a shipping cost triple. The VAT was charged at source prior to brexit. I understand having to pay it here now, but 20 percent at source is the same as 20 percent here. Why has the cost tripled

• You said earlier that postage was £31. Now you are saying postage was £51. How?

Probably worth reminding people that we previously paid the German VAT which is currently 19%. This is now removed from the cost at source and we now pay VAT here in the UK which is currently 20%. So 1% more - plus any handling charge that the courier charges to deal with the bureaucracy on your behalf - from my experience this ranges between £8 and £17.

• Because my maths was going off the guy saying we wouldn’t pay VAT on shipping, which was wrong as you pointed out. It doesn’t matter who we pay the 19 or 20 percent to, I still pay it one way or another, the shipping for this wheel has cost me £31 initially and an extra £14 when it got here for someone to sign a piece of paper. So. All in all that’s £46 quid, to get one 1.9 kg box here. When I bought my original bundle in June last year, the shipping cost me £18 total for the wheel, wheelbase and pedals which came in 3 separate boxes with 3 separate tracking numbers. Now, I might be alone in this, but that more than double the cost will put me off buying anything else, that’s just me. I love fanatec’s gear, but now we’ve stupidly left the eu, I won’t buy anything else because of the shipping costs

• Sorry about misleading on the VAT. I must have read it wrong.

• What kind of fucking logic is that? Has Brexit moved anything geographically?? Do they have to ship stuff further now? Is it a different route? All it should have changed is where the vat and duty is paid at source it here? Explain to me why Brexit makes the cost more than double? I can have a £2500 grand 15kg shipped weight guitar shipped from the USA for a cheaper cost than UPS are charging me for a 1.9 kg box

• If the USA and UK have a FTA and the EU and UK don't, that's the reason.

• edited January 2021

I think we over discussed the matter. Everyone has their mindset. For some is fanatec's fault 🤣, for others UPS taking advantage and for others unfortunately the politics that led to Brexit.

Let us agree all of us that that we disagree and move on. 😎

• Agreed let's not turn this into another Brexit debate. Rather a request for clarity during the new circumstances.

• Agreed. I never bought it up to bash Fanatec. I love their gear

• That is not the reason. You are oversimplifying this and drawing the wrong conclusion. The UK and EU do have a trade agreement - thats why no import duty is charged. However you still pay VAT if you import an item into UK from the EU - or the USA for that matter. Trade agreements do not impact that. VAT is not an import duty. What is changed is that the UK used to be part of the EU single market so paid the VAT at purchase and not at import. A secondary consideration is that couriers will have likely changed their prices for shipping to the UK now that is outwith the EU. Nothing to do with trade agreements.

• David ToothDavid Tooth Member
    edited January 2021

Fanatecs response to my email:

Due to Brexit, since January 1 st , the customers from UK don't pay VAT but they have to take care for additional custom fees (import fee ) charged by your country. 

Unfortunately we don't have information about how much you will have to pay. Usually UPS will send you additional invoice for that. This invoice is not for additional shipping costs!

https://www.gov.uk/transition

Doesn't sound right to me. But no further to understanding the breakdown or being able to calculate what we will pay.

• As far as I can figure out, Gary is absolutely right. UPS will invoice you for VAT on the item and shipping plus £14 for doing the customs paperwork.

Now we have brexited, unfortunately buying anything from fanatec is going to cost us more in shipping. I looked at buying the button caps and sticker set earlier, £22.60 to buy, £15.37 to ship!! Plus Halifax charge you to convert to Euros, and then when they arrive, there will be the VAT to pay plus the £14 customs paperwork. So, I’d be ok with the 22.60 plus VAT to buy them but then the actual shipping would cost more than the button cap set itself!!

• Mike MurphyMike Murphy Member
    edited February 2021

I was contemplating a DD1 or DD2 order to the UK. That's not happening until there's some clarity on what overall final cost will be.

Might have to look at Simucube options...

• Just had my UPS fee email come through.

I ordered £200 of items in early Jan, conversion at time of sale. On the UPS invoice they break the price down to £40.50 of government charges (ie 20%VAT), and 11.50 handling.

I think the handling charge is nonsense, as I am already paying ~£30 for postage. There are ways of arguing it, but I'm not going to bother.

So bet on +20% & +£11.50 for anything you order.

• Like you cannot find a gazillion topics of analyzing and advising what to expect....

The safe bet would be 20% VAT + handling fees paid to UPS (on top on what you have paid to fanatec (for product and shipping).

What I cannot understand why you and everyone else are always mentioning that they will get to XYZ competitors of Fanatec in their first posts in the forum. Is this going to change something for your cases? Are the extra charges something that Fanatec can do and not doing it?

NO. It is the British Government that heard the people's vote (well not everyone's but this is how democracy works) and went away from EU.

It is what it is. Either take it or leave it. Simple as that. No need to mention that you are going for another product when nothing can be done from Fanatec. 😉

• Hey people, just to let you know........ I purchased the Fanatec Podium F1 ps4/pc steering wheel last week. I purchased Wednesday and used the express saver delivery option which was €65, the wheel it's self was another €1515 which took the total to €1575. It shipped on the Friday and the import duty was £285, with £11.50 of that being courier handling fee.

You only pay 20% vat nothing more, the total was around the £1700 odd mark after conversion. The wheel arrived yesterday so in total it took 7 days to ship.

UPS will email you with the invoice which you can pay online or pay the driver, I paid online once I had the invoice.

One word of warning is that UPS will email you saying your package will be delivered on xxxxx date, but its an automated email which gets sent out and doesn't count for brexit so it will be a few days after that date!

Hope this has helped.......

• Shaun is right. Vat was taken off my V2.5 and Formula V2 wheel and I paid only 720£ for them (800€) and UPS prompted me to pay 152£. It’s all good.

• How do you pay the invoice online? I got an invoice in the mail but it has no instructions at all!

• could someone help me work out what i will have to pay on this order please? I noticed there are 2 different prices for each item, 1 on the left and 1 on the right

• Assume you are UK? If so you will pay the Total Sum shown on the right at purchase.

When the item is imported into the UK you will pay VAT at 20% on that total, plus a handling fee. €489 is roughly £415 so you will pay around £83 VAT - and the handling fee which is around £10 - £15. Your bank may also charge you a foreign currency conversion fee - they are usually between 1 and 3%.

• David ChiengDavid Chieng Member
    edited August 2021

The price on the left is the current price of the unit.

The price on the right is the price that you will pay, i.e. when you ordered the unit in June, the price was lower. It has since gone up.

CSL DD has increased by about €50.

McLaren GT3 V2 wheel has gone up by about €30.

CSL pedals €13.

So I believe if you cancel your order now and re-order, you will have to pay the prices on the left.

VAT will be a percentage of the total cost of the unit as declared by Fanatec in shipping. I presume the shipping cost will not be included in the cost of the total order?

• Thank you very much for letting me know appreciate it 👍️

• Thank you very much for letting me know appreciate it 👍️

• No, the price on the left includes VAT. The price on the right has VAT removed. It's nothing to do with price increases.

• David ChiengDavid Chieng Member
    edited August 2021

I am in the UK. So VAT will only be charged when the item is delivered to me.

The price on the left is the current price of the unit as listed on the website. Pls check and confirm.

I paid the price on the right, definitely and I know I have to pay extra for VAT when the item reaches UK from Germany.

Are you in the UK Gary?