Brand New DD1 Notchy Feel

I was doing some research and could not find exactly what I had completely. After about a day of use, I noticed that when I turn off my wheel I feel a sort of bumpy/notchy feel when turning the wheel as if there were bumps within the device. When I was driving in iRacing I also noticed it but not as much due to all of the forces being fed into the wheel. I am not sure if this normal or if I should contact support.

Comments

• That is the normal characteristics of an outrunner motor, every Fanatec DD has this cogging which is reduced significantly when the base is powered on because then a anti-cogging Filter is working against the cogging.

• Psql .Psql . Member
    edited January 2021

It's normal characteristics of every motor and has to do with that a motor has magnets inside that keep working if the motor is off. Even CSL base motors have this but on those base it's not noticable because of the gearing used, belts that dampen it and the very small motor. Would you remove the motor from the base and turn the axle directly you will also notice it.

During use it will mostly disapear and maybe what you feel is effects of higher FEI setting, can sometimes also create a notchy/bumpy feel. Also one of the reasons why I always lower the FEI a bit to 80 instead of 100.

• Thank you both so much! I ordered my g29 in October and decided to return it and go all out so. I am a complete newbie.

• edited February 2021

So I've seen a few threads around here regarding this. I'm here because I also feel some notchiness/cogging. Could turn every setting on the wheel down to 0 and it's still there. Sitting at my desktop now with the wheel on and can feel it- no game running.

Running:

PC Driver 400

WB FW: 684

SW FW: 17

HUB FW: 5

WQR FW: 6

EDIT:

Cogging is present when power is OFF as well as ON.

• I feel the same when update drivers last night.

Tried to calibrate sensor, then erase it ... now i have more resistance and cogging to the right, than left!!

HELP! PLEASE

THANKS!