Driver (Or Wheel?) seems to be Crashing

Hey everyone!

Since a few weeks i have some issues with my Steering wheel, to explain (and i apologize for a long text in advance):

I start my wheel as usual, let it do its thing and all that and then i would start the game (When i noticed it for the first time it was in iRacing). After some driving i went into the garage, wanted to drive out again but my wheel inputs weren‘t working in-game.

So i opened up the Fanatec Property page which was empty (instead of a wheel/wheelbase it was just plain white).

After that i did a PC restart which seemed to fix the issue, the wheel property page would show my wheel and all that.

So i decided to open up Assetto Corsa, and again, some driving, back to the pits (this time i closed the game to change the car), wanted to drive out again and once again nothing happened. So i opened up the Property Page again and once again i‘ve just seen a white background and it wasn‘t responding. At that point i was just too frustrated so i left it.

Yesterday i saw that there is a new driver out (400), so i decided to uninstall the old one and install the new one in the hope that it would fix my problem. After the installation was finished i restarted my PC, did the calibration and all that and i left the wheel on for a few hours without using it just to see if something happens or not.

After like 2-3 hours it was still working, i could turn off the wheelbase, turn it back on, close the property page, open it up again and everything was working as intended.

I fstarted up Euro Truck Simulator and after about 5 minutes of playing the problem came back...

At that point i decided to try a different USB port, so i restarted my PC and as always it was working fine for the moment.

I did a quick 10 minute test drive in iRacing with no issues, another 5 minute test drive in Assetto Corsa also without issues, then i decided to start ETS2 again and then after 5-10 minutes my wheel stopped responding, this time however while actually driving (So not standing in the pits or anything).

I really dont know anymore, it doesn‘t seem to be a specific game nor a specific USB port...

TL;DR: Wheel/Driver crashed in multiple games, installing new driver/changing USB port didn‘t help.

Has anyone else experienced something similar and might know a solution to it?

Wheelbase: CSL Elite + PS4

Wheel: McLaren GT3 V1

Pedals: CSR Elite connected to the Wheelbase

PC Driver: 400 (64 bit)

Wheel Base Firmware: 684

Wheel Base Motor Firmware: 22

Steering Wheel Firmware: 32

Comments

• Austen ChenAusten Chen Member
    edited January 2021

Two things I would look into are:

• USB power saving mode in Device Manager.
    • USB ports possibly being overloaded so there's no consistent power/voltage to the wheel base.
  • Thanks for your advice!

I tried deactivating the USB Power Saving Mode, but after about 20 Minutes it "died" again.

• Bummer. Do you have a lot of USB ports? USB2 or USB3? Next thing I would try is look into Active USB hubs that connect to your PC but also connects to an outlet so it won't draw power from the PC.

• I have 2 USB2 Ports at the rear (Used for Mouse and Keyboard), 2 USB3 Ports (Used for the Fanatec Base aswell as a USB Hub) and 2 USB2 Ports at the front (One not in use atm and the other used for a G27)

My Monitor arm has a USB Hub (The one connected in the rear USB3 port) which i could plug into an outlet (Which i dont have at the moment cause i barely use it).

Maybe worth mentioning: I had a issue in the past which caused the wheel to disconnect for like a second everytime i had a wireless mouse plugged in, but ever since i removed that everything worked normally (Well up until a few weeks ago).

• Hm I was going to ask to you run a repair on the driver but you just installed v400 after the issues started. Are you on Windows 10? Is it updated to version 20H2? I would suggest it if you haven't. The update fixed a lot of weird issues on my PC not related to Fanatec. You will have to reinstall the v400 driver after a huge Windows update like that.

• Thanks again for your suggestion.

Im pretty sure i was on 20H2 already, but i did a minor update anyway. For the Fanatec driver, according to the installer it was installed already, so i just repaired it, just to make sure. However after like 40 minutes of Euro Truck Simulator 2 it crashed again.

Something i noticed tho is that normally ETS 2 would tell you if a device disconnects (And which one), this never happened when my wheel stopped working.