Is the BMW M3 GT2 really too heavy for CSW2.5?

There seems to be some people (in the internets) who say that the M3 GT2 rim is too much for the CSW2.5 wheelbase and a lighter rim would be far superior (like 918 RSR). The difference is like 400-500 grams.

Apparently the weight also effects on the acceleration of the rim and feel.

Any input or anyone experience with both rims? Is the 918 RSR superior rim?

Cheers

Comments

• Not at all. I used the BMW rim as a daily driver for years with the 2.5. Not an issue whatsoever with the 2.5 it has more than enough power. No issues with acceleration or anything. (I also used an F1 2018 LE with that base)

• Ok, cool, thanks. I was a little skeptical the BMW rim being too heavy for CSW2.5 because Fanatec bundles them together. Guess it falls under personal preference once again...

Is the alcantara durable on the rim? Well, as durable as alcantara can be... :)

• Chris NobleChris Noble Member
    edited February 2021

Its definitely not to heavy for it, the BMW GT2 wheel was originally designed to be used with the Clubsport wheelbase, there were no DDs at the time it was released.

Having said that, it is a very heavy wheel and because of this I did find you loose some of the much finer detail in the FFB which is no real issue.

On average I’d say my lap times were only slightly faster but much more consistent when using the lighter F1 wheel over the BMW. Talking 10ths of seconds here...

• edited February 2021

Yeah, I'll be buying openwheel rim anyways so no worries there.

Just wondering if the Porsche 918 RSR rim would be far better choice... but I prefer the alcantara on the BMW rim.

I need a round(ish) rim because amongst AC I also like DR2.0.